Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **1962 Ford GALAXIE - My Old Car is BACK HOME!**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Four years ago I decided to put my '62 Ford Galaxie up for sale to help fund my Model A Roadster project. Mark Cain scooped it up and had it hauled down to Kentucky. He took good care of it for three years and decided to sell it. Earlier this year it sold and again, three months ago it was traded to Matt Graves for a cool Model A Sedan project.

Matt has other priorities and decided to put the Galaxie up for sale. I've always kept track of the car and noticed when he listed it. He ended up lowering the price to where I could make it work and ended up buying it back!

On Friday evening I hopped in a one-way rental car with two friends, Jason (jho on here) and Clint. We drove straight through to just north of Indianapolis, picked up the Galaxie at Matt's, dropped off the rental and headed straight back to Omaha. 22 hours and 1300 miles later, we were back home safe and sound.

It really is no different than when I sold it. Mark had put new wheels and tires on it, along with some maintenance items. The few small rust spots are just a little worse, but not bad at all.

My roadster will get put away for the winter and I'll concentrate on the Galaxie. I plan to fix the rust, install new door/window weatherstripping, new front seat foam/cover, and a few other small items. There's also a driveline vibration that starts around 72 mph. It's been there since I swapped in the 302/T5 and I need to track it down. Will start with having the driveshaft checked first.

Eventually I want to paint the whole car it's original color - Wimbledon White, with some very mild custom body mods... just clean it up.

A few photos of how it is now, before I sold it, and when I bought it 8-1/2 years ago.

Now:

[​IMG]

Four years ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8-1/2 years ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Mark Cain, Jeff Quiggle and Matt Graves for taking good care of it over the past four years. And thanks to Jason and Clint for helping me drive and get the car back to Omaha.

It's great to have the old Gal back home!

Malcolm

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

how exciting man :)

3. von zipper

von zipper

Glad to see it home!

4. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

That sir is a rightous story. Don't let it get away again!

5. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Always good to see an old friend come home.

6. Big Dad

Big Dad

I always liked that one ..

Nice to have the ability to get the ol friend back

7. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Awesome man.
    Those 62's are rad and this would look killer in Wimbledon white!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Very good Nick! I had seen that it was for sale and had thought about it--glad to see that you have it back. I sold a '63 1/2 Galaxie XL that I wish I could get back but that's never gonna happen. They're great driving cars.
    Oh, I think the color that's on it now really fits the car. But that's just me.:)

9. Galaxie is where it should be back home,we enjoyed the car it is a true driver which is exactly what we did with it.The Galaxie made 4 trips to Shades of the Past,Charity Blanket Run and many other little trips.I bought the Galaxie from Nick as a driver everyday, anywhere we had to go,only 2 weeks after I had the car delivered and just started to enjoy this Sweet Galaxie my oldest son Shelby took his own life....my heart no longer into cars the Galaxie sat for 7 months without moving.This Galaxie has a special place for me because it got me out of the house and on road trips with my wife and myself windows down a little ZZ Top...I'm bad I'm Nationwide on the radio, but for me it brought back alot of fresh memories and I could never really have a good time in the car.I wanted a fresh start so sold the Galaxie to fund my long time dream that I shared with Shelby to build a 32 3 window Coupe.Nicks Galaxie is where it should be with him.Thanks for sharing your car with me Nick!

10. .

Great car, great guy and an awesome story.

Congrats on getting her back Nick.

11. jetcycles

jetcycles

Stoked for you Nick, car is right back home where it belongs!

12. Well that's pretty cool!

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Stoked for you that it's back home. It's the perfect ending to this story.

14. von zipper

von zipper

I'm never selling mine! Never!! Going on 20 years owning it![​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

15. Deadbird

Deadbird

Awesome news Nick. Glad you got it back. Wish I knew you went to Indy to get it. You probably rolled right past my exit.

16. Awesome story!! Awesome car!

17. That rules, Nick! I'd sure like to have my 66 bug back. I'm not sure where it is though..

18. DaveInc

DaveInc

Like they say, we are only caretakers till the cars are passed to the next generation.

19. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Cool story. Glad you got it back.

20. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

21. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

Awesome. Great story.

22. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I love this car. Infact I seen a pic of it for sale on the hamb and its been my inspiration for building my galaxie. Its even my background on my computer. Really love the color its a mean machine. The wheels and tire really set it off and with a t5 I bet its a blast to drive.

23. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Cool car! Wish I could find my 63 but I know it's long gone. As far as your vibration concern I had the same thing with my 57 when I installed a T5. Mine ended up a combination of trans rear bushing & driveshaft yoke & pinion angle.

24. Chuck R

Chuck R

The perfect ending! Glad you have her back home.
    chuck

25. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Pretty cool you brought this back home. Always liked this car. That vibration is probably do to the distributor being in the wrong place :) Gary

26. 30modelacoupe

30modelacoupe

That's great news Nick. I've always loved your '62.

27. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Thats great Nick.

28. seatex

seatex

So cool when old cars come home. Quite a story. So sorry for the Cains' loss..............

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Sorry, Lee -- I didn't even think about how close we may have been to you. We were on a mission, though... drove straight through Friday night, straight back home on Saturday.

Yes, indeed!

Well that's pretty awesome - thanks, man!
    It is fun with the T5.

I'd love to have a '57 Custom 300 - want to trade? :)

Ha! of course it is :)

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Mark, I can't tell you how often I think of you and your family. Heck, I've never even met you, but I feel the pain of your loss. I admire your drive to spread suicide awareness. Thank you for taking great care of the car and I'm sorry that it had/has the sad connection for you.