Register now to get rid of these ads!

BIG brakes on a banjo rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anteek49, Oct 18, 2013.

1. anteek49

anteek49

Anyone ever put some BIG,wide brakes on a banjo rear? Thinking of late '50's Merc wagon 3 inch plus wide ones. Using backing plates and redrilling drums. Anchors for the queen mary. My 3.54 rear has hubs and nothing else so I have a clean slate to start with. I adapted these to my '57 bird in the early sixties and made it STOP. anyone else have experience with these?

2. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Over braking the rear is a good way to change direction instantly in a panic stop especially with a light car. Will it work maybe, is it worth the time and effort?

3. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I'm with Dick on this one and .......

My question would be WHY ??? Why would it be worth the effort. The car will stop on a dime with properly adjusted stock mechanical brakes, let alone stock juice brakes.

4. anteek49

anteek49

i'm using mechanicals on the front, thats why I wanted real brakes on the back. if mechanicals were so great why don;t we have them on modern cars? I'm old enough that I've driven thousands of miles with good mechanicals and I won't depend on them. I have a redone stock front that I'd like to use for the look but I'll probably drive over 50 mph a time or two. When pintos were new I hit one at 20 mph in traffic with all 4 tires on the A sliding. the pinto drove away,my model A didn't. that is real life. Only accident ever .

5. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Most accepted automotive principles put the majority of the braking on the front wheels not the rear, like 60/40. This is used to assist in stability control under high loading. If you have mechanical brakes on the front and hydraulic brakes on the rear you also compromise the system as the two will not work in conjunction with each other. Because of the mechanical operation of the different systems, timing them to act together would be a nightmare. Had you chosen hydraulic brakes fore and aft it might be worth the effort but for a system like this the idea is questionable.

6. saucerhead

saucerhead

If you hit a Pinto at 20 mph with all wheels sliding, sound like operator error. If all wheels were sliding, bigger brakes aren't going to help you. Stay back.

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

im no expert here but I had a 28 with juice brakes front and rear man it stopped real well. I don't understand why you would want a split system.

8. anteek49

anteek49

Mind changed;will be all hydraulics. discs on all 4 . When I hit that pinto the brakes locked up the wheels : 52 years of driving and one incident in millions of miles,including trucks.