Register now to get rid of these ads!

What happened to Joe Cruce's Crucifier

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by capitinga, Apr 24, 2013.

1. capitinga

capitinga

Does anybody know the whereabouts of is show rod?
    Also, it's a little hard to find pics of this car, there are only a few around. Anybody has more pics?

2. This one?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    dana barlow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. It supposedly is owned by a guy in the Monterrey area. I think someone on here knows the dude.
    It won Custom of the Year and The Oakland Roadster Show (GNRS) in 1967

oliver westlund likes this.
  4. wow, I found an old australian hotrod how to mag with the front of that car on the back cover. I'd never seen the whole thing, wow!! love it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I think it was mentioned in Ganahl's Lost Hot Rods book. In the article about his T coupe.

6. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I think Joe is still alive in Chico, Ca try Cruce restorations in Chico he may have more information on the car.........

7. bgaro

bgaro

described as a space-aged roadster with a completely hand formed,cerise metal flake body and futuristic single stick operation.

8. Frank Lewis

Frank Lewis
    from menlo park

I know exactly where it is. I saw it 2 weeks ago when I was with joe cruces. He has the body and interior but the chassis is gone. He is looking to rebuild it some day. still the same color sitting on some saw horses in his shop.

9. Frank Lewis

Frank Lewis
    from menlo park

The guy in Montery owned his (Tall T) not the crucifier

10. fulltimeforester

fulltimeforester
    from california

Joe Cruce is still here in Chico, but he closed his business and retired

oliver westlund likes this.
  11. customcory

customcory

I'm building a model of it!

12. trent smith

trent smith

I happen to know joe cruces. he is still alive and still has the crucifier body. he sold the chassis years ago. i have seen the body over 25 years ago. that body is all steel too (no figerglass). i just wanted to set the record straight.

13. steven p

steven p

I'm enjoying these posts about Joe Cruces. My family moved back to Vacaville in 1960. As a sixth-grader, I was into cars. So I was thrilled to death that this custom car, the "Tall T" was parked almost permanently on my block! Joe had just set up shop in a former dry cleaners right there. A couple of years later he moved into a big shop, still on my street, Callen Street. We rode our bikes by there as often as we could, drooling over these great hotrods. I remember a 3 engined go-cart he showed at a city event in the park nearby. I'm glad to hear that he's still around. I heard he'd set up shop up north, restoring old cars. I guess he's retired from that, if hotrodders ever really DO retire!

14. Brian Eissler

Brian Eissler

The Crucifier was destroyed in the Campfire out of paradise Ca.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Brian Eissler

Brian Eissler

16. redo32

redo32

Joe has got to be heartbroken over the loss of his home and the car he has saved all these years. We used to go to Chico for the World of Outlaws show at Silver Dollar Fairgrounds and I would always stop in at Joe's car lot downtown to see what was new (or old ) in stock. Last time I was there the body was hanging on the wall in the back shop. I understand he sold the frame and never got around to building a new one.

17. AndersF

AndersF

Back in the day it find its way to a Swedish magasine to.
    Refered as a year 2000 build.

[​IMG]

18. Dave matousek

Dave matousek

Thank you for the info man!!! Ive been tryin to find info on this hot rod for years!!! Never knew the name of it till today,only had 2 google pics,id like to build a bubble top version of this,tell Joe i hope he builds it and puts it on you tube or somethin,if he had some one to film rebuilding this he could make $$$$$ off you tube,just half you bits each day till its done,id love to see it!! Cheers!!!

19. Dave matousek

Dave matousek

What happend? Tell Joe please dont scrap it,ill buy it as is so it dont get scrapped,cheers!

20. Dave matousek

Dave matousek

Hey Frank,what were those front fenders off of Joe used? Ive seen them befor just dont remember what car it is?

21. 39wagon

39wagon

1961 Chrysler maybe?

22. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Super sad ending to a great car, someone build a clone!