Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lokar floor shift kit in a 57 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by parabola, Oct 12, 2013.

1. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

Any one have any advice which floor mount shift kit works best in a 57 Chevy pickup running at TH350?
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. parabola

parabola
    BANNED
    from OR

Any one have any advice?

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

When ordering a Lokar they will ask you how high of shifter do you want, runs in 2" increments I believe 8", 10", 12" etc. The higher you go the more chance of a vibrating shifter. I would suggest that if you don't already have a E-Brake you could order that at same time, it bolts to side of shifter bracket. It also comes in diff. lengths, longer the better on that one! A '57 Chevy truck has lots of room though for any kind of E-Brake and nothing wrong with the stock one.
    Your in OR. try Sunset Color and Hot Rod Parts, Steve can get or has in stock most of parts and is a wealth of info..............................

4. squirrel

squirrel

I put a th400 in my 57 suburban. I went ahead and did the work necessary to put a column shifter in it, using an original column and combined parts from an early Hydramatic shifter and an early 50s Powerglide shifter. Works nice, looks far more "genuine" than the lokar stuff.

My other 57 truck has the granny 4 speed with the original shifter, which also works good and is quite genuine.

Nice long post, and I didn't answer your question at all. Sorry.

5. cryobug

cryobug

Use the column shift. You can weld a piece of metal between the two shift point at the bottom of the column and run a rod from one of them to your transmission and it will shift just like a factory column shift lever. This way you haven't spent any money on a part that won't look right in your truck and you have kept the floor clear.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

My buddy just installed a Lokar 23 inch trans-mounted floor shifter in his '58 Chevy truck (same cab as yours) with a th350 trans. He used the chrome stem with the black knob. It looks right at home in his cabin, which is restored to look factory new. It went in easily and works great. All it required was a hole in the floor pan trans cover. Easy peasy, looks great, works great. So i'd recommend the Lokar product.

7. Papa Tom

Papa Tom

I got one in my 53 chevy pu it is a floor mt. works fine

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

For Lunchboxlbc's 58, we just got a used lokar 18" shifter, and mounted it up, I cut a hole in the trans cover and welded in a 1/2" square tubing ring (4" ring) from the Fence section at the metal place and used that for the boot mount it fits the stainless trim ring perfect.

Post #26, 76 and 96...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755576&page=2

9. Gator

Gator

Got a Gennie in my '55, works fine - plus you can use any knob you want.

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

had one in my '56...didn't vibrate...works great

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. I'm running the same thing in one of my '58s. Works good, looks good.