Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 327sbc 430hp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ben s., Oct 11, 2013.

1. Is the volumetric efficiency also off ?

2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow!That´s a great engine you have there! I have basically the same setup in my 56 Chevy, the L2166.nf040 pistons, 234/244 @.050 cam,but with the cast 64cc 2.02/1.60 camel hump heads and 600 cfm Edelbrock.I´m sure I´m far away from 430hp but I streetraced my neighbor in his 343hp BMW M3 and won by a few car lengths. I always thought he backed off but maybe he didn´t:)
    Have fun with your new little revver!

3. mechanic58

mechanic58

I bet it'll make a black mark - what gear you going to run in the vette?

4. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Those are good numbers! Question: Why did they stop the dyno pull? It sure looks like it's still climbing. Even if it wasn't, I'd want to see 500-1000 rpm past peak to see how power falls off and know best where to shift it!

Devin

5. Here's a dyno sim of a 327 I've been collecting parts to build.
    350 vortec block and heads with 3.25 stroke and 327 flat top pistons, .040 quench. Pretty damn similar #s to yours. But I thought it was interesting how your VE #s barely break out of 75% and these sims have close to 100% with the last one being along run up in the 90%.
    This is why I asked about the VE on your sheet. I'd imagine the VE# are either also wrong or your engine has more hiding in there.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  6. ben s.

ben s.
    from St. Louis

Not sure about the VE data. There's always some difference between sim. data and real world data. The dyno cell is pretty controlled but there's lots of variables (air density, engine fitment, temp, gas blend, etc). I didn't really focus on that aspect of it, I wanted the hp, tq, timing, & a/f. If that's all good then it'll drop in the car and run.

I dont know what the rear gears are, most of them for 4sp cars were in the low to mid 3.xx's. They'll move the car fine, has short tires and doesn't weigh much.

As for stopping at 6200, it just doesn't look like there's much passed that. The curve seems to level out pretty quick up there. After seeing the data I'd probably shift at 6200. I know theres plenty left in those heads (they're 195's for gods sake) we just don't have the cam timing to utilize it. A single plane would be better suited for the high stuff any way. I think the Perf. RPM tops around 6500 nominally. After 5k the single would be worth another bit of hp. The valve springs would tap out at that point. 1.290" AFR's are good to 6800 at best for roller cams.

7. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

At 226-234 degrees @ .050", what does that come out to in total duration?

8. ben s.

ben s.
    from St. Louis

Adv. duration: 286/294