Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edsel tech and general EDD-FE Engine Experts-Help with engine question?(1958 361ci)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hemifalcon, Oct 9, 2013.

1. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

...working with a friend on a 1958 361 Edsel Engine which was received as a pile of parts. It's going back together now and while getting ready to install the timing cover--the light bulb began to glow. However--it quickly flickered out when it became apparent that something was missing. Inside the timing cover there is a location for what appears to be a "button" of some sorts that fits into the timing cover itself. But--it's missing. I am unable to find any pictures online and haven't yet ventured over to the Edsel Owner's club/site to ask questions. We have dug through the boxes the parts were all in and there's nothing that appears to go back in here. If any of you can help identify what part goes into the circled area--and ultimately allows for the cam bolt to idle against--please let me know..
    jparello (at) yahoo.com.

The part that is missing is presumed to go in the small pocket circled.

[​IMG]

2. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

that is the early stamped Timing cover. i actually dont know what goes in there. my Edsel at some point got the Aluminum Front Cover.

3. First off, I have ZERO experience working on these engines.

But it does look it like it might have located some sort of thrust button to control camshaft end play. Or maybe not. Is there some sort of a retainer plate and thrust washer affair bolted to the front of the block behind the cam gear? If so, that may be all you need to control cam end play at the front of the engne.

4. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

It is believed that whatever went there helped to control can thrust toward the front of the engine--here are two more pictures

-- ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381334115.825755.jpg

Here you can see the "polished" head of the bolt indicating something has occasional contact with it while running?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381334150.998125.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. That is supposed to hold a spring & button for camshaft endplay.

From my info.

A lot of FE rebuilds are done by using a newer style cam plate where you drill and tap 2 holes in the block. Then you can use a newer style cam. New and old cams have a different length to new shorter to fit behind the plate.

6. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Ok...that makes sense--but if using the original camshaft?? Anyone have any info on the part that goes in that location?

7. I would dive into an old Motors Manual, they have great reference pix on engine assemblies. If you get stuck, PM me and I'll take a look tonight.

Bob

8. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I have a button for the "later" (up to '63) motors that used the cast front cover - on those, the spring "clipped" over the head of the cam bolt and the "button" rode against the cover - you are welcome to the button I have if you think it will help you - I also have a fairly new (tight) timing set (different than '63-up and hard to find) as well as a cam - as was posted most people just tap the block (7/16) and use the more common late cam/thrust plate/timing set

9. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Man--you guys are great--any p/n or pictures??
    I don't have access to Motors manual that old

10. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

...question-answer-problem solved.. The guy restoring the car found the original part thankfully--

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381345427.339908.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381345455.443638.jpg

11. Well now ain't them pretty?!?!? That's one less thing to discover later on that you overlooked! :D

12. I probably would have run without it. It is actually pretty rare that any engine ( think older here) comes with a cam shaft thrust button. The fact that the edsel did come with one speaks volumns for the design team, as Ford FEs from that era did not come with one.

Anyway good that you found it.

13. I'm not real familiar with the FE engines either, but did they use a retainer or thrust plate bolted to the front of the block at the cam bore? There'd be no need for a spring and thrust button then.

14. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

'64 and later FE's used a thrust plate bolted to the block to retain the cam. It is very common to install the later retainer plate on early blocks as almost all aftermarket cams are made for the later retaining plate. All '62 and earlier FE blocks used the button and spring as seen on the OP's Edsel, and '63 motors can go either way.

[​IMG]

15. Nope. No thrustplate ,the cam was held in place by the timming chain on most engines from the era.

Thrust buttons ans thrustplates/retainers are pretty uncommon for older style engines for most brands. That is why some many companies have made so much money selling them to hot rodders.

We used to get what the old timmers in certain circles called apsrk scatter on engines that would rev. It was caused by two things point bounce and the cam walking.

16. greg

greg

This is a 59 361 fe. I know its been a few weeks, but it might help someone else.
    The inside of my steel timing cover was smooth.
    DSCN4141.jpg