Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is my 365 Cadillac V8 done for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Oct 8, 2013.

1. chstitans42

chstitans42

Here is a video showing the engine running. It has sat for the last thirteen years and prob has at least 100k miles on it per the odometer. So There is alot of white smoke coming out of the tailpipes. The fuel system, and ignition system are new.

Any tips on other ways I can get less smoke? I am leaning toward shot piston rings, meaning I will have to get an engine rebuild if I can afford it. If not the piston rings, is it the valves or seats?

I will be buying a compression tester today and getting some readings on the cylinders.

Thanks!

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

black smoke - gas, blue smoke - oil, white smoke - water.

3. aaggie

aaggie

I would put in fresh fluids and run it at a fast idle for a half hour then run a compression/leak down test and see what the numbers are. Any engine that has been sitting that long that wasn't decommissioned correctly will probably need a complete rebuild.

4. chstitans42

chstitans42

It does have fresh oil in it with a quart of mmo as well. I have little faith running it more will stop the smoke but it won't hurt anything to try

5. big M

big M

Another thing to consider, if the car has been periodically started up without allowing the engine and exhaust system to reach normal operating temps, the mufflers could have retained quite a bit of condensation, creating steam in the exhaust. I have run into this same problem with that being the cause.

---John

6. Ice man

Ice man

Man if it set for a time its got to limber up. Drive it for a few 1000 miles and then see if its still smoking. You might be surprised, once it gets back to running normally. Iceman

7. chstitans42

chstitans42

that would be awesome of that was it, there does seem to be some water coming out of the drivers aide exhaust port. I'm pretty sure what is coming out is smoke though.
    I hope that running it more will help. I guess nothing is lost bu trying as long as it does not overheat. There just isn't the budget for a rebuild at this time.

8. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Do yourself a favor and perform a leak down check before you drive it. This will give you an accurate diagnosis of the engine by letting you know if its the rings, valves, or head gaskets that are in need of attention. If you or a friend don't have a Cylinder leakdown tester one can be purchased for as little as $90.00 - see the attached epay add - be sure to use one that is the two gauge variety. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231064979878?lpid=82 . It's one of the best tools/investments you can buy to help determine the viability of an engine without running the risk of further damage to an already wounded ie repairable engine.

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Are you losing any water/coolant? Sounds to me like it may be a coolant leak but as Big M said it may be condensation as well. I'd top off all fluids and run it at a medium idle for awhile. Ice man has a real good point about loosening things up. A compression test and or leakdown test couldn't hurt either. Another thought is to test your coolant system with a pressure tester designed for that. This could help with locating head gasket leaks. Also, check your spark plug colors. If you do have a head gasket leaking it may identify where the leak is.

10. Pull the radiator cap, and look for bubbles or a geyser.

Do you have antifreeze in it? if it does smell the smoke/vapor comming out of thre exhaust if it smells like anti-freeze then at the very least you need head gaskets and hopefull you don't have a busted head.

The damned thing starts and runs, I would not call toe coroner yet.

Someone mentioned condensation in the exhaust i would be all for that myself if everything else checks out.

11. chstitans42

chstitans42

That was my next step. O'riellys here I come
    Last time I ran it, there was some water coming out of the tail pipe and them the rad puked a little out of the top. Ill be checking it again today.
    The mufflers on this beat are huge, how long till all the condensation works itself out?

12. chstitans42

chstitans42

13. chstitans42

chstitans42

I went ahead and bought it, should be delivered tomorrow! I know I will be using this tool many times in the future and have been putting off buying one. No time like the present!

14. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Get a block test run by a radiator shop. I am sure it will show coolant in the combustion chamber, and exhaust in the coolant. Cracked head is probably what you have.

15. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Also, if you want to blow out the carbon, just take it out on the highway and start in LO, then shift to DR3 and floor it. That old hydro will shift up automatically at the highest TV pressure. While you are doing that watch the rear view mirror for all that black smoke.

16. NOPSI

NOPSI

Nothing to add other than I love these type of threads! Will be watching.

17. vince89

vince89

i had this in my 58 i also have the 365 so maybe you got the same issue the engine has a vacuum. for the brakes, wipers. but at idle the vacuum isnt enough so there is a assistent vacuum pump in the engine wich ha a tube running up to your vacuum system and there is a valve in that system so the engine vacuum wont suck oil into your vacuum system and ultimatley in to your intake manifold wich create lot of white smoke wel it did with me. i have heard of people getting there engine rebuild got scared of the smoke and pulled it al apart again when it turned out to be the small valve outside your engine block its runs at my engine from behind the startermotor up behind the engine to the firewall.
    your in luck im gonna rebuild my engine and have the fenders of so i can snap you a picture. there are some diffrences in the 3 years they build the 365 engine but hopefully this wil help you out. DSC01404.JPG

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If the car sat for any length of time, it might take a few heat and cool cycles with the MMO to free up some stuck rings. The MMO needs time for it to work. It's not an immediate snap type thing. The rings get gummed up and just changing the oil wont free them up immediately. My low mileage Studebaker engine sat for over 20 years and smoked like a bitch. In time the smoking slowed down and it's Ok today. I was about to throw in the towel but it came around. Give it some time before you panic. Mine smoked a lot worse but I'd be more concerned about the knocking noise.

19. Yup, its no good, let me come take it out of your way for you,lol.. Well worth the effort to cahnge fluids, run some Rislone or similar engine treatment for a while and I'd say the carbs nay use a rebuild as they seem to be dumping fuel through it. Awesome drivetrain, dual carb even!

20. my $.02
    It looks to me like the left side smokes more than the right.
    I think you may have stuck rings on that side.
    I have started up many engines that have not run in years.
    Put a set of plates on it. Pay attention to all the fluids. Drive it around for a while.
    The engine itself sounds good, keep listening.
    Drive it easy, let it warm up. Do it for a couple weeks, change the oil, do it again.
    You may be suprised!
    Good luck.

21. txturbo

txturbo

Noy all of the 365s had the vacuum pump on the oil pump. It depends on how many vacuum accesories it was equipped with. The 365 heads are prone to cracking. Mine had cracks in both heads. Now I have a fresh rebuilt short block and no heads. Besides.....I think he has already had the motor built by now.