Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '57 Ford F100 Worth Asking Price?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrdamien, Oct 2, 2013.

1. jrdamien

jrdamien

Because of your awesome advice I passed on a 3100. This is my #2 pick for my first ever project. 57 Ford F100, 223ci, 4 on the floor, flareside. Will be seeing it this weekend. They want 2200. Doesn't run but did 5 years ago - that's all the info I have. Have several other pics - the body is in really good shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

There was/is a super nice 58 Ford shortbox fleet side on Craigs...it was up for
    a long time....no engine or tranny, but a very clean western body for $2000
    Looked a heck of a lot better then this one

3. jrdamien

jrdamien

I haven't seen any such ad, and I have been looking closely. If you find it link?

4. 1959apache

1959apache

He has it priced high to negotiate, I wouldn't give more than $1500 for a non running vehicle. If it were running in the shape it is in then I would consider giving $2200 for it if the rust was somewhat under control. A non running engine hides a lot of things, such as worn suspension, worn rear end, and messed up tranny... all of which could be spent and you would have to replace them anyway. If this truck didn't have and engine and tranny in it I wouldn't give more than a grand... it looks like there is a lot of rust hiding on that one.

5. I wouldn't want to spend that much,don't be too eager to buy something that you really aren't that crazy about,,,there are thousands of projects out there.

I wouldn't want to pay anymore than a grand,,800 would be better. HRP

6. Lol, can tell you guys aren't on the East coast, I've been looking and that guy will fetch $4k easy here.

7. Besides the fenders, the inside steps and front cab mounts are bad to rot out,,,also check the cowl drain area,,,

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

CT. buyers must not shop around much,that truck here in Fla. wouldn"t bring $1200 on a good day. One not 10 miles from me running driver he has been trying to get $$2000 for it and its still there after 3 years.

9. From what I see in the Photos it looks like a good start. If your just getting into this stuff, get used to the line "It used to". You already know they all "used to". The real question is why not now? As stated before it can hide a lot of other issues. Sitting for 5 plus years. You can bet all the brakes are gone, plus the fuel system. It still looks to be a good place to start. At least it's a step side and it hasn't been robbed of anything. Yes I'd pay the price. Now if a 57 F-100 isn't really what you want your just spending time and money.
    The Wizzard

10. Rob68

Rob68

That is to much for that truck. 1000-1200 at most. Not running is a big unknown. On the plus side there are a lot of repro parts for those years (57-60), and if you could get it for a GOOD price it might be worth it. Check the floors and cab corners for rust. Check around the window up in the cab and under the headliner if it has one. Don't be hasty and good luck.

11. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Bring a hot battery some gas and see if it will fire..........Then the price can be negotiated.

Stepside and small back window. No more than $1000. Just my 2 cents. I have owned many.

12. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Advice from another Northeast (CT) guy where they use a LOT of salt on the roads...Jack the truck up and look UNDERNEATH, paying special attention to the floors, frame, body mounts, cowl, etc. Outer sheet metal is important, but much less so that then inner structural parts of the truck. If those are gone, expect to spend a TON of money and time.

BTW, I agree with most everyone here...$2200 is a lot of money for a non-running truck.

Chris

13. scrubba

scrubba

Coming from someone whom has worked on these trucks and owned them, 1,500.00 is a fair price on this one !

scrubba

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Granted its a 57 with the cool 2 headlight grille, otherwise around here you can buy driver fridges for 1500-2k all day long. I'd not give more than 700-1000 for that one, but then again my friends always tell me I'm tight. But hey, I set my prices and I find my toys.

15. jrdamien

jrdamien

Again. you all are amazing and I hope you appreciate how much I appreciate your advice on this.

Makes me want to start looking and Florida and Arizona...too bad it'd cost so much to tow it back to MN.

16. shadams

shadams

If I had to do it all over again, that is exactly what I would do. I would make a vacation of out it, and do a road trip to find a nice solid truck. It will save you so many headaches that you cant begin to appreciate unless you have had them. On the other hand, all those headaches taught me how to do things I would have otherwise never attempted.

Other than that, I would settle on what you want, then look through as many build threads as you can and see what you might have to deal with and decide if you have the money/skill to tackle them. That will give you a better idea of what to look for when you go looking at them. Trucks in general are a little easier to work on due to the abundance of repro parts.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Probably not a good comparison but a Chevy in that shape (from what is visible) would not bring more than $1000 around here and I've bought many for $500 or less. Don't get in a hurry. With the economy right now there are a lot of derelicts just sitting waiting for any offer to move them out.

Frank

18. jrdamien

jrdamien

Yessir. This is definitely what I am learning.

Now I am really wondering what's the cause for all the overpriced rust buckets. :confused:

19. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

He priced it at $2200 to negotiate down to $1500-$1800.

I think $1500 is the more in the range, if it has a title.

Without Title, $500 bucks.

20. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

I WANT THAT TRUCK ! that's sweet but id say its worth $1500 that's fair price for both parties.

21. Mellowgt

Mellowgt

^This right here! I picked up a 60 f100 in SC for $1100, thought it was a good deal because it appeared to be in decent shape and running. Until I started tearing into it I realized how bad it was. I'm in it now for all four cab corners steps/braces and have to figure out what I am going to do about the bed. If I had to do it over again, I would find a solid western truck and have it shipped back. Shipping would have been 800-1k to SC. For a solid running truck I would have been way ahead of the game already. I am doing all my own work so it is fun, it has turned into more of a personal thing than anything now. Also they do NOT make that many repo parts for the 57-60. You will find some patch panels but don't expect to find whole fenders etc. It is not like the later and earlier years. They don't call them the orphaned years for nothing...Good luck, its fun and very addicting.

22. Rob68

Rob68

"Also they do NOT make that many repo parts for the 57-60. You will find some patch panels but don't expect to find whole fenders etc."
    Yes, he is right. I should have been more specific. There is a guy here on the HAMB that makes floors, but fenders, grills and other body parts are not yet being made. Many interior parts are though. Look around, you can find original bumpers, fenders, beds and such but they will probably need some work. Its worth it though-they are cool trucks.

23. jrdamien

jrdamien

This I didn't know. It definitely influences the price...

24. Rob68

Rob68

Check out Sacramento Vintage Ford on line for an idea of what parts are available. Dennis Carpenter has some great stuff too. I kinda like the step side on those trucks, they look odd but cool. Keep us posted.

25. jrdamien

jrdamien

Well I passed on this one, too. It was in really nice shape but he said he wouldn't budge on the price even after saying it hasn't run in 6 years and he hasn't turned it over in several. Was sitting out in the rain, bed boards gone. I said good luck and that I was going to pass and he got upset.

26. Rob68

Rob68

Good move. They are out there, you'll find one.

27. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Being in Minnesota, check the craigslist ads for South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska and Colorado. Lots of nearly rust free trucks in farm land where salt was not used. Be patient. A trip from MN with a car trailer is much cheaper than a trip to Arizona and also much cheaper than a ton of body work. Good luck in your search.
    Also try searchtempest.com to search multiple craigslist sites.

28. Make a trip down to Texas. I've got a 1960 stepside in probably the same condition, body wise, that I would let go for around $600. No motor, trans or title.