Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. BOOOO HAHAHA, I just sharted I laughed so hard. Maybe Moonie can get some gasser roundy round racing started,... bring back the old jalopy days, they had front axles back then..,oh crap, I may have just started a whole nuther round of straight axle warfare.

2. Oh it'll work alright, you could call it "The Cricket-n-Tumbleweed Nationals" cause I'm pretty sure that's all your gonna attract. IMHO.

s

3. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

Thanx for adding the "no tunnel rams" part, I say that all the time.

4. i just watched the video Baron posted according to the rules posted on here half of the cars would be illegal to run, too low diff. narrowed (Austins/Anglias) and I didn't check wheels and tires. as for Gas or Methanol yes it wasn't allowed in the gas class i've run both and prefer methanol for one it's a lot cheaper engines run cooler can make back to back runs without over heating less down time can drive back to the pits.who here has been burnt by steam or boiling water from a overheating race car. we can't go back to 1965 as we remember it but we can bring a little with us and adjust it to to-days reality

5. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

You cannot run a handicapped race (bracket) with a pro tree. It does not work.

6. Danny G

Danny G

The racing has to be handicapped In the 60s we ran weight to ci. and now I don't know of a track with a scale. The eliminator brackets were handicapped using the national records and no one bitched ,that's the way it was done and accepted. I ve been doing the nostalgia racing for at least 10 years and no 2 events do it the same but if you are doing for any other reason than having fun you are wasting your time.

7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Gassers were built to race at X lbs per inch of your engine, in B at the time in 64' I had to weigh 9 lbs per inch about 3000 lbs then they went to 7 lbs and I took out the 700 lbs of weight to make class

You show up and race HEADS UP none of the staggered start stuff , and the best man wins

If you loose you do more homework and try to beat that guy next time , end of story

That's Gassser racing folks

G Don

8. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

So, wonder how much would a car had to have weighted to legally run a 600 ci engine? Lets see 9 x 600= 5400# or 7 x 600= 4200#. With my 355ci and at the 9 to 1 ratio my car would need to weight a minimum of 3195# and at 7 per I could be as light as 2485#. I'm betting the small block could actually be competitive on that basis, hell they were back in the day.

Of course a promoter would have about as much luck getting these current era gassers to adhere to these rules as he would trying to get them to burn gas in their "gassers".

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  9. Danny G

Danny G

You raced heads up for your class but when c gas ran b gas , c gas got to leave early. I don't like bracket racing either but until there are more cars built like this its the only fair way. At the hamb drags which I really like I made 5 passes in gas coupe sedan class and everyone was against a big block and mine is a 30 over 327. This is normally the way it is.

10. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

....I would love to hear from the "experts" why you can't run a staggered pro tree. :rolleyes:

11. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Correct, the fast guy has no stage light to anticipate the green light on. But since I would more than likely be the slow guy I could live with it! ;) The only way a faster car would have a equal chance of cutting a good light would be via electronics.

How do you like that reaction time, we both posted at 9:18! Hell I think I treed you! See, I know what your going to say and hour before you do because of the time difference. Now you know how I stay so far ahead of those west coast guys!

12. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

13. OldColt

OldColt

Many car/drive combo's cannot react faster than .400 to .500 from the amber light. If the slower car is dialed at say a tenth or two from the faster car, he just leaves on the faster guys amber before his amber comes on. Holeshot advantage to the slower guy each time. Not the fairest way to run a drag race in my opinion. I raced at Green Valley in Texas once back in the day and know firsthand. They only had a "short" pro tree. Everybody was bitching about it. Hopefully they changed to a full tree later.

--- Steve ---

14. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Think about it, see I carry small front runners in the trunk. When I get to the track I change from my front road tires to the small front runners. I run drag radial on the rear all the time.

By adopting this practice I get to keep my rear seat because the small front runners fit in the trunk. If I ran the small front runners and street tires on the back my slicks wouldn't fit in the trunk and I would loose my rear seat. Plus I would need to change much larger tires at the track and I might hurt myself.

Now tell me that's not innovative, outside the box thinking, (BS)! Just an example of mind over matter really.

Hey I enjoy a good little punch when I have it coming. If my shell wasn't as tough as a loggerhead turtles I would have folded my tent about sixty pages ago. :D

15. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Supper job on that video and some supper high budget cars! Also a good example why 1/8th mile is the way to go if your going to run under rules that allow the cars to get that fast.

Tell me how hairy those things get on 1/4 mile passes with the right gears to keep them pulling to the finish line. You must really be hangin on!

16. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

They will go in the 5.60 range 1/8 mile for the most part. 8.60-9.0 in the 1/4. There are some faster but, all in the video are 8.50 cert and pretty period correct. The faster cars/ group are lower and have a FC cage 7.50 cert. This is all about the show like Quains cars are, but we are blown.

17. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

The main reason you cannot run staggered pro tree is that the faster car will burn up his converter waiting to leave. Stick car will be tached to the moon waiting to leave.

Even if I don't agree with everyone I want to remain respectful to everyone and I realize I took a tone earlier.

18. I agree that 1/8 mile stuff looks right for these cars and this is comin from a guy who runs strictly quarter mile.

19. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

We have run a .500 pro tree for the last 4 years with our group with no issue from the faster or slower cars in the group. We index from 9.50 to 12.50 and we have had winner on both ends of the index's. The pro tree gives it a added attraction for spectators.

Jon

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

We don't have any type index or spot on the tree. Most of the car run around 5.90 to 6.00 no matter what horse power they have, when they get down the track. The secret is we don't allow 4 link or any modern suspension parts only 11 1/2" wide tire and high center of gravity. The biggest controlling factor is no pro mod wheelie bars, max length if mounted to the housing is 44" and it must look old school. The 4 speed trans really keeps them in check and adds some talent to driving. All that keeps them so ill handling so far nobody has been able to run away with it and the fans love it. I could make a few modern changes to my car and win every race but then it would just be another 1 of 10,000 nostalgia bodied cars.

21. times are changing we would have never though of running 1/8 mile i had proposed running a 1/8 when the track developed a bump at the 1/4 speed traps because of running a pipe under the pavement and got voted down, true speeds were slower in the 9's and 135 mph

22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

We like running the 1/4 better but most tracks around here are 1/8. Our fastest car in the 1/4 is Greg Porters Night Stalker 55 chevy. It still has the original suspension that was put under it in the early 60s (2x3 box tubing traction bars and an A model front axle) it has been 9.23 @ I think it was 1.47 mph.

23. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Yes we run pro tree as well when index racing but it does not work out so well when bracket racing because the second car stays up on the converter too long waiting for his light. Stick car stands on clutch waiting for light. I have had to give a 3 second head start to another car and a protree would have burned me down.

24. Fast55097

Fast55097
    from S.A. TX

I like the .300 single yellow tree that we had in the early eighties. Deep staging was allowed.

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dave. Not sure if I missed it or not, but do you plan on racing the Hudson? If so,the direction this thread has taken should give some parameters on your build depending where or who you plan on racing (track, group, etc). Been a very informative thread, to say the least. Good luck with your Hudson.
    Baron

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's a good point Baron.

Dave,got any more updates on the car...?Cant wait to see that thing makin' noise and burnin' the tires!:)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Just my $.02 worth on 1/8th mile racing:
    It's better than nothing,but in my opinion,the only reason to run 1/8th instead of 1/4 mile,is if you can't get the real estate to build a full 1/4 mile track.
    The fun is just getting started at the 1/8th mile!:)

Scott

28. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Quain

You want to put the vintage racing back into the Gassers, use a flag start again as that was really cool

Hated to see the tree take over, cause the flag is the real deal

Get some scales and a C.I. checker and run them just like it was and have a ball

If you catch a guy running light he is benched for 6 months, no cheaters that way

Very simple weight per inch, and let her rip in a heads up start watching the flag

We did it for years it is the best way for the Gasser Class's to race

G Don

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

I really like the sound of the flag start Don,as it feels so much more like a street race with a flag man.....not that I would ever street race...;)