Register now to get rid of these ads!

need a wiring harness? painless ,american autowire??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Uptown83

Uptown83

I have done 2 wiring kits. Painless and Rebel. Rebel was the clear winner.

2. boutlaw

boutlaw

Anything but Painless, purchased one for a Cobra kit car years ago, poor instructions and no schematic, expensive, pitiful tech support. Won a Painless at Goodguys one year so used it, same issues. Ron Francis and American Auto wire were easy and well made, excellent instruction and schematic, have used both since the Painless fiasco. If I wire another it will be Rebel as I've heard nothing but good things..anything but Painless.

3. Chuck hole

Chuck hole

I chose the hiway series, and was really impressed with it. I liked how the wires where loose and you could pull them from their location to the fuse panel. It also had the easiest instructions I've followed for anything. Great support if you get stuck also.

4. yblock292

yblock292

X2, have used about alll of them in the past did my 51 with american autowire, sold on the kit, only one i will use from now on.

5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

"Affordable Street Rod" has done very good for me. Easy set up but great support also. Have a booth at several shows here in Kansas.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wonder if any of these wire kits will show up at Hershey? Bob

7. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

I have used (2) Painless wiring harnesses. Great harness, great instructions and great tech support.

8. rustang

rustang

I went with a Kwikwire kit, as it was pretty much complete, had good schematics,and was pretty local......the kit went in easy, and was straight forward to wire....

The only mistake I made was I bought a kit with too many circuits as my build changed....
    Tom

9. I must have rewired one of your cars!:eek::D

Every wire was black,tracing down a problem was a nightmare. HRP

10. yblock292

yblock292

Funny, did my 50 merc 20 some years ago with all white wiring , thought it would look Kool, and it did but what a mess tracing out stuff

11. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

Used a painless on my 57 Chevy - I think I'll try another brand on my ford

12. cryobug

cryobug

I would use but Painless. I installed one a few years ago and it was a real pain in the rear. I really like Ron Frances harnesses but they are over priced. I have made my own but it is just not worth it. I have installed eight EZ kits and will continue to use them. They are made here in Florida and are the best priced I have found.

13. Topsterguy

Topsterguy

I got a Rebel 9+3 and haven't finished installing it yet but if I was chosing again I would go back to Ron Francis. RF kits are just SO easy to use and I like their panel better. Yeah they're more expensive but if you're not a wiring ace they're worth it. I'm running a flathead , want to use a stock start button and the stock column ign switch and the instructions are OK but vague (" chose your engine - Ford, Mopar, Chev and wire accordingly") so some guess work ahead. Not knocking Rebel , I just prefer RF.:)

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I like my American Autowire.... top notch and easy to understand.

15. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I
    went with Rebel9+3 in my 56 fairlane.Ive got the dash wired up so far,Pretty straightforward the rest shouldnt be a problem.Will post results when finished.

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If you are just rewiring a stock vehicle, then just get the wiring diagram and duplicate it. I would rather have the car wired the way it was when new, then to have some aftermarket firm that does not follow the oem wiring.

For rods it doesn't matter, Rebel, Ron Francis, Painless, AAW sound ok. I have heard some bad things about EZ fuse panels. The technical support aspect is important too when choosing.