Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1960 Olds 98 daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, May 6, 2013.

1. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

2. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Thanks for the link!! good info in there.

Yeah, she needs to come down a good 3-4" to be right..

Still cleaning.... Got trunk open, and guess what was in there??? More rat poo!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!! But for real, there was the factory spare (well, factory spare rim, anyways) painted the same garnet red as the roof, with a '70s era J78-14 white wall on it... I wouldn't run it, but when cleaned up its a neat garage piece. And---the best part--- a brand-freaking-new two person tent, still in the nice heavy nylon case, and not chewed up or rat damaged at all! SCORE!!!! Now I can't wait to cruise this puppy up to the lake for some camping! Maybe even borrow a boat and test out the tow package!:cool:

Also removed the seats, there was a MASSIVE nest inside the rear seat back, and at least one complete rat skeleton in there... at least the bones tell me they havent been around in a good while, which is good. My girlfriend pulled all the old carpet out and vacuumed everything out for me while I was at school:D now that theres no evidence of rats (except for the engine compartment, gonna borrow the neighbors pressure washer this weekend to take care of that) I can start disassembling the dash to replace/repair the wiring, and clean out all the ventilation ducts. More updates to come!!!!

3. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Rats huh ? There is a thread on HAMB .Wrecked car, Caddy saved from the crusher. New owner got around to opening the trunk. There is a monkey in there. Yes I said ''is'' he didn't take it out. It may be a long build. You got some help that is good. A lady who is interested in your hobby is a keeper:cool::D.

4. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Well, not a whole lot of progress lately on this ol' pig, but for some reason I got a bug up my bum today and took all the plugs out and squirted a little lubrication down there... Also put fresh oil in and new filter, and picked up a new set of points and condenser. I ended up getting that "factory" harness from the auction site, what a pile of garbage. All dirty wiring, splices everywhere, a toggle switch where the ignition was/should be..... So basically I feel like an ass for spending 125 bucks on someting I could've hodgepodged together for a few dollars............ oh well, live and learn. But in the mean time I'm going to do exactly that, put together a make shift harness just so I can go around the block and get the transmission sorted out. Then I'm gonna get a nice new harness from Rebel or American or someplace.. I'll post back with how turning the motor over goes!!

5. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Made lots of progress!!!!!!! Also graduated from college, moved, and started a new job:D so haven't had a lot of time for posting...

Anyways, a few months ago now (time flies!) I took all the plugs out, squirted a lil oil down th cylinders, cleaned, gapped, and reinstalled the plugs, and BAVROOOOOM!!!!! started on the first crank! Didn't even open the dist. yet!

After that it kinda fell to the wayside what with all the commotion, but this past week with help from a few friends we've got her running and driving around the lot! I found it was extremely low on fluid, and after adding 5 quarts I got it to move good... for better or for worse, I did an inaugural big ol smokey burnout!! Still haven't got it to shift, but all in due time... Pics to come!!

6. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Good to hear you are making some more progress mate,

I was actually thinking about this thread the other day! Nice work getting it closer to back on the road. Have you found anyone to fix the transmission yet? Also, how did you go with the wiring in the end?

7. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Flattops are very KOOL!! With lowered stance and skirts, you will have a sweet cruiser!!!

8. what they call the roto matic powerstering is actually the transmission
    which may be kinda different animal as I rember them somewhat from transmission training back in 1963 have fun
    and look for the oldest transmission repairman that you can find
    or try to update if any other GM trans will fit a olds 394

9. chstitans42

chstitans42

Keep it up! This could be an awesome build thread. Just so you know your pics in the beginning of the thread dont seem to work, but that could be just me.

10. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

In the end, I just sat there for a few hours before school every day for a week and cleaned all the wiring with soap and water, getting all the gunk off, and then checking continuity on everything, replacing sections as necessary..... Believe it or not, after it was all clean there were only about 10 bad wires.... Only things left that don't work are wipers, horn, and dummy lights/gauges (I'm putting a gauge panel under the dash anyways, so not that big of a deal).... dash lights don't work, but I think that's because of the switch...and the driver rear window motor needs rebuilt/replaced...

As for the trans, I've found two shops in town wanting to take a look at it. Both have had experience with later Hydros like this one. I'll probly end up taking it to Arcata Transmission..

11. dab 331

dab 331

So the story on this car continues....I bought this car last month(may 2018) and it has been on the coast,(Crescent City Ca.) The asking price on Craig list was $1000 obo. I bought for a little less than that,But after the tow, I'm into it about a grand . It does not look that great any more but I will polish a turd again. The engine doesn't sound to bad putting it on the trailer.Drove it off the trailer and 1/2 mile home ,and it was low on oil. The tranny might still be funky,but it worked . I have not done any thing to it yet,but I plan on just working the kinks out,and goofing off with cars I hate to see brought to the crusher.I guess the gas mileage is so bad in these cars people cant afford these old gems.I just found this site and realized this is the car I just bought. Now its on the Southern Or. coast. Ins cost $170 a year ,full coverage through Hagarty. IMG_1952.JPG Hopefully I will give some updates. Here are pics.

Attached Files:

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  12. Good to see it alive. I had a '62 and '64 Olds myself. The '60 is not that far off. The biggest issue is the transmissions, if it works, great. Getting hard to find a rebuilder for them. Adapters are available to go with something newer. But they ride real nice and the interior can't be beat for comfort.

13. Interesting thread revival.

Also, if you are at the point where you might change the transmission out, you can buy a complete rebuild kit with every seal and clutch plate for $300 and give fixing the stock tranny a try yourself. It’s really not that hard and what have you got to lose. Really it’s just a bunch of ring shaped things on a shaft. The fun with these old heaps is learning anyway. This thing will be cruising down the freeway at 100mph when you get everything right.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. This is cool, 5 years later finding out there was a thread about your car on here & continuing the story! Good luck with it, sounds like some relatively inexpensive fun!

God bless
    Bill

15. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

These cars are cool..hope you get it going. I have a 59. The trannys are different and take getting used to. But if you just let it shift the way it was designed instead of how you want it to you'll have no issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Since its a 60 it should have a Jetaway trans that should be easier to find someone to fix it then the slim jim trans that came out in 61,\.

17. dab331, I parted out a 60 flat-top Super 88 about 13 years ago. I still have the trans (my understanding is the specific trans is called the controlled coupling hydromatic) that shifted fine, been inside storage, but would recommend at least some seals and gaskets. Not too close being me in OH to you in OR, but PM me if you're interested for a cheap trans. Seems your car did not get much work happening on it for past 5 years.