Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Stroll Thru A Private Junkyard (pic intensive)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TagMan, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Model T1

Model T1

------------^^^^^^^ Well said. Written!

2. 5559

from tn

tagman-glad to see a man that keeps his word . by you not telling the location you & some others have a nice little stash -& theres nothing wrong with that. If word got out the few trusted people might loose access forever. I have some places known only to me & a few others. When I find something like that i could pack a lunch & stay all day.

3. xrosczech

xrosczech

Thanks for posting, most of those cars will for sure turn into dirt!

4. Thumper

Thumper

Thanks for posting these pics and letting us have a glimpse into yesterday....:)

5. love all those pics, thanks

6. burtt

burtt
    from Western NY

Nice Pics. If it is the yard I am thinking of, it used to be a lot larger with fields of cars. It was one of the places, as a kid, where I first fell in love with old Tin. Don't know the son, but the father was a really neat fella.

7. 68hillbilly

68hillbilly
    from KENTUCKY

THANKS for the pics. some cars are just too far gone to save . still makes for neat yard art.

8. lawman

lawman

Soooo sad !!! Great pics. Thanks for posting.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That's painful to see.
    Imagine how many northern winters and rain that stuff has been subjected to.
    Thick steel to tin foil.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

While we all say that a person can do whatever with the cars he owns, IMO that is just a sin, and so sad. Some day a scrapper will haul them all away when they could have gone to make so many other people happy and probably gotten back on the road.

Don

11. 1952henry

1952henry

I can understand that. A lot of parts would probably be spirited out with only some paid for.

12. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

I see he liked Pontiacs, Chevys, Olds, Buicks & Mopars too! :cool: Sad, but great pics. I live in NY also and there were sites like this hidden in the woods all around where I lived in the 70's. It was so cool exploring around and dreaming of how they once were. It's a shame most kids today will never know what it's like. Thank for posting!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  13. Gabe1775

Gabe1775

Yeah doesn't it make you wish you could snatch them all up, and restore them.

14. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Take some pix of low miles.

15. Tagman....thanks for the pic's/post....totally understand the situation....

16. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Good pics.There is a comment that is common to most of these threads.
    The old guy who owed the yard died.
    Thinking about that there are 3 yards that I visit a lot and have collections of cars like the ones posted on this thread.The owners of the 3 yards are 78,75,71 years of age.
    All three have had offers for their yards from Copart and other big time auto salvage companies.All 3 have turned them down as they still are independent enough to run the yards as hobbies.
    Copart has bought out 2 other yards that I used to buy from filled with old stuff and crushed them out then began bringing in the late models.They only want the land and license.
    Buy what you can from the old dudes who still have it as the numbers are dwindling.

17. 2Loose

2Loose

Here in Hawaii almost everything on tires gets crushed and goes to China, they get just about all our scrap metal. You don't find yards like that as the land is just considered way too valuable to go parking wrecked/old cars and trucks on. There is one parts yard here on Maui, but it is all late model stuff, mostly import stuff, and if it doesn't move parts the owner crushes it out pretty quickly. I did see several rigs in those photos I would consider usable to rework and put on the road. You should see some of the stuff we work with over here. But we make it work.

Enjoyed the photos, thanks for posting those.
    Aloha,
    Willy

18. Looks like there could still be some good parts. Wouldn't mind having the old Ford convertible.

19. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I think I saw a Maverick and Pinto in the mix.

That was cool.

20. It's sad that most of them are that far gone but I could spend a week in there just walking around. Even in such rough shape cars like that sometimes get my wheels tuning more than the same models in already restored condition do. I guess looking at them I don't see what is, but more what could be and it makes me wonder about the stories behind each one of them. Thanks for taking the time to post your pics.

21. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

There's a yard like that near me, and the owner is letting parts out now - but most of it is not worth scrap. Would of been a blast to be in there 20 or thirty years ago...

Thanks for the stroll.:)

22. greazy john

greazy john

Sad to see,glad some people are getting parts ...would like to save them all but we know that's impossible,wish i hadn't looked... thanks