Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally found my original 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Butch Clay, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Ever since my Dad died I've been on a nostalgic voyage it seems. I inherited his 46 Chevy truck and got it running after pulling it out of the barn. Been having a blast, lots of miles and lots of smiles. The kids love it.

Then I got to thinking, "what ever happened to the first engine I owned when I was 16". 26 years ago I bought my first engine and my Dad helped me get it running. Being young and broke I sold it for a 350.

I also had a set of Power Pack heads. I realize in modern times they are not considered performance by any stretch but for me at least, it brings back great memories etc.

After a few months of researching and tracking I found not only my original engine but the separate pair of heads as well. What are the odds? I mean, really, 26 years later I found the engine in a shed and the heads in a guys garage. I got them back....for free! It just goes to show you, we live in a pretty great world with some really great people.

As a bonus, he even had the script valve covers. I got those back also.

Anyhow, the 46 truck is running great and it's time for round 2. This is gonna be my build thread for a traditional styled 283 using the power pack heads. I'm not sure what car it's gonna go in so I figured I'd start with the engine and figure it out later. I just know the car will be pre-1946, probably 20's or 30's.

Here's a photo of the engine which had sat untouched for 26 years. Think she's froze?

Attached Files:

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Valve covers are pre 1964...the ends look to be vertical, not slanted. What is the part number and date code on the back of the block?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the rust on the rockers, I would say be careful trying to get it to turn. How did it run when you pulled it? If it wasn't a tip-top runner, you're probably better off disassembling it first.

4. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

I recently got a FREE 283 also! 1957 variety. Looks like she needs a little love but what are the odds you got it back? Good Luck! :)

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

That's awesome! Now how in the world did you track down the engine after so many years??

6. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

3896944 is the casting on the block. Should be a 1967???

I just put the heads in the garage and should be taking them apart tonight. Talked to a machine shop and the heads are going it to get checked over and magnafluxed etc. Then new seats put in, new guides if needed, valve job etc. I might even bump up the valve size one step. 1.84's I think is what they do. I'm not sure if it really matters on a 283 but I'm gonna dyno the engine when it's all done so we'll find out for sure.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

It ran decent from what I remember but can't be 100% sure on my memory these days.

I think you are right about turning it over. It's probably best to just disassemble it and have them check it over to see if it's still good.

It came out of a chevelle. The mileage was 37,000 on the engine. It's never been rebuilt. That much I do know.

8. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Feel free to post a picture in here gordspeed. 283's are pretty cool, are you gonna rebuild it?

9. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Here is a photo of the heads, casting # 3795896
    1380665749127.jpg

10. olpaul

olpaul

My friend had a 301 that was faster than stink. They run forever. I have three 57 blocks (only year with no side mounts), and a 64 from truck. The 64 is going in my pickup.

11. 327Eric

327Eric

that is cool. makes me want to hunt mine down. I know where it was 10 years ago.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As it's been sitting open in a shed for a long period of time I'd think it prudent to at least pull it down and put rings and bearings in it and clean everything up.

The bearings have been setting in dirty oil all of that time and are probably acid etched and the rings may be stuck. It just wouldn't be a wise decision to try to run it without at least pulling it apart and making sure everything is in usable shape. A set of rings and rod and main bearings and gaskets won't cost much over a hundred dollars for that engine but a destroyed engine because you didn't pull it apart is a terrible loss when it's an engine that is special to you.

13. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

It's getting a full rebuild, 100% tore open, cleaned and machined.

14. It would be a 1957 283 or 265 if it doesn't have provisions for side motor mounts as they didn't start casting blocks for them until 1958.

15. cool score in finding your block ...

16. squirrel

squirrel

neat story!

I still have the 396 I bought when I was 17, then rebuilt it and installed it in my pickup not long after. That was 35 years ago. I let the heads go for a while, but got them back when my friend didn't do anything with them after a few years.

17. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Live photos. The engine was over a mile away so I had planned on cherry picking it on a trailer. Plans got cancelled so I was on my own. Tied a rope to it, the plan is to gently and slowly roll it home to the garage. Check it out.
    1380819142090.jpg

18. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Gotta take a break. This whole being out of shape is thing just isn't working.
    1380819559845.jpg

19. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Wow. Pulling an engine for over a mile. That is a nice story.

20. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Another break

Check out the yellow oil filter. I remember putting it on. It was a hardware store called Coast 2 Coast.....now it's Ace Hardware. Incidently that's where I bought the rope to pull it with this morning. Alright, back to pulling this beast. I'm over the half way mark and it's starting to rain.
    1380820558539.jpg

21. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Last break, I can see my house around the bend. Can't wait to get this in the garage and open it up.
    1380821099195.jpg

22. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I can only imagine someone looking out of their window and seeing a man pulling an engine on a rolling dolly down the street, in the rain, probably whistling some tune without a care in the world...haha that mental image just made me crack up! It's awesome that after so long that engine was still there, just as you left it! This sort of thing doesnt happen by accident. Maybe you two just needed a break from each other for a few decades?

23. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Actually, now that you say it.......I think that's exactly 100% correct. Thanks for that.

Now. To get this up the driveway......

24. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Made it just in time before the big showers come. Hell yeah!!!!!!!!

1380821523765.jpg

25. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Done!!! In the garage back with me after all these years. Can't wait for the kids to get home and they can start tearing it open.

1380822081941.jpg

26. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Nice work Butch! Determination makes shit happen! I will post a pict. of mine when I get a few minutes. It was just a long block but I have some Ram Horns and valve covers coming from a fellow HAMB'r! I want to try and locate a Weiand wc4d (4x2's) intake as well! Have fun pulling it a part!! :)

27. nice great story. cool way to bring it home also! :D

its gotta be a cool ending, bringing it home, to the story of just finding your old block
    have fun

28. Wowcars

Wowcars

Thats one of the funniest stories I've read on the HAMB in a while!

29. rustang

rustang

Great story!..... just the vision was priceless.....

And, I do remember Coast to Coast....Our local hardware store was a Gambles until it became a Coast to Coast, and later a new ACE was built and the old C-C building was torn down to the dismay of the 100's of rats living there... :)

30. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Looking forward to your photos! And I'll keep my eyes peeled for that intake you're looking for.