Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 dodge truck getting desoto hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cookiejar, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Cookiejar

Cookiejar

Can anyone tell me what they did for a rad when they put an old hemi into their dodge truck . Thanks in advance Jim .

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the truck that I pulled the Desoto Hemi that I have in my shed out of ran the stock truck radiator. That was close to 25 years ago though.

The engine was halfway apart when they drug the truck to the shop along with a rather trashed mid 70's Camaro that gave up it's engine, trans and rear end to the project. I did the swap and got the Hemi and overdrive trans and the Camaro out of the deal.

3. 73RR

73RR

4. Cookiejar

Cookiejar

Does anyone make an adapter to use a 904 torqueflite on a 276 desoto hemi

5. George

George

My understanding of the situation is there's a problem getting the starter to fit using a 904.

6. 73RR

73RR

George is correct. The starter on the 904 series trans sits about ½" higher than on the 727 and therefore does not clear. That said, it is possible to rotate the adapter's transmission bolt pattern CCW but you won't like the one-off costs...
    The 727 is a simple bolt-up and there are plenty of adapters available.

7. George

George

It is a shame considering the lack of cubes in the low deck Dodge/DeSotos that the 904 won't work.

8. jbtine

jbtine

I have wondered about using a clockable mopar starter from someone like powermaster with the 904/A500 transmissions. Would the ability to clock the starter body allow the smaller transmissions to be used with adapters on the early hemi. The 904/A500 bolts to the adapter ok so would this work? It would sure be a better transmission for smaller displacement hemis since the 904/A500 has a better first gear ratio.

9. George

George

More importantly on the small CID hemis is lower power consumption by the 904.

10. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Even with a clockable starter, there is not enough room. It will hit the block.

11. Cookiejar

Cookiejar

Well I am building my first project with the help of my 13 year old son . It's a 51 dodge on a dakota frame with a desoto 276 hemi that's completely rebuilt. At this point I have the cab on the chassis and have the engine mounted in on home made motor mounts . And yes I know I have no isolators on my mounts that is to come later . I have a steering column from an old chevette car that fit real nice as well. For all I had to do was shorten the column a bit and make an adapter plate to bolt the column in the stock mount . As well I just have to ad a universal and steering is done . I did have to cut some fire wall out but not too bad and have to make a trany tunnel cover as well . Here are a fer pics.

Attached Files:

12. Cookiejar

Cookiejar

More pics

Attached Files:

13. Cookiejar

Cookiejar

And more

Attached Files:

14. Cookiejar

Cookiejar

One more

Attached Files:

15. porky55

porky55

Cool project. There are a couple guys that are doing this on here. Good luck.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Cookiejar

Cookiejar

Thanks man it's is fun and coming along now

17. Cookiejar

Cookiejar

Can anyone one tell me why you need the adapter for a 727 to early hemi as the bolt pattern lines up with the original spacer plate any info would be great as I am still learning about this.

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

There are a couple of reasons. Even though the bolt holes may line up, the dowel pins do not. But the most important reason is that the early hemi crankshaft extends out the back of the block farther than the later small block engines that use the 727 transmission.

19. 73RR

73RR

In addition to what Tom said, part of the adapter package will also include a crank flange adapter that provides a place to register the flexplate.