Register now to get rid of these ads!

History An Unknown Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like a Hot Wheels car. Give another shirt to the guy who can post a pic of the Hot Wheels too.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

is the owner listed in the table of contents?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

It was built by Ted Wingate, an engine builder in NH, and the car still exists.
    Ted is still in business, and although he sold it long ago, it was for sale a few years ago.
    The other car in the feature was his full fendered Deuce Roadster.

5. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

Here is your hotwheels. Enjoy

Attached Files:

6. [​IMG]

There you go.

7. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I remember reading the ex Ted Wingate black '32 was used as the proto type for the 1st flamed black Hot Wheels '32 toy. This was after the real car left the east coast . However, this could be a case of fuzzy memory. Edit 12:12 I read Alfins post ; and started typing... never mind!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

^Quickdraw^ Oh well, here's my scans from Hot Rod, Aug. '64.

001.jpg 002.jpg

003.jpg 004.jpg

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Big A wins... PM your shirt size and address!

And thanks! That was killing me!

10. I'm quick on the Google :D

11. Here is the Hot Wheels version. Interestingly, the red fendered roadster reminds me a lot of Tom Daniel's/Monogram "Son of Ford" kit.

Attached Files:

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The very first issue of Hot Rod Magazine I ever bought. Bitch'n.

13. F&J

F&J

anybody notice that channeled rods with other "genuine" old details like SP headlight stands, shorty grilles, etc, are starting to gain more respect around here?;)

14. MGene

MGene
    from iv cal

if its still around i wonder what it looks like now

15. Day late,dollar short,,I was looking through that massive stack of musty old magazines in the closet and just got immersed in the scent and feel of these wonderful magazines and completely forgot I was trying to find something for someone else.:rolleyes: HRP

16. Channeled roadsters with sidepipes that don't look like an afterthought are rare. He's one of the few that got it right.

Maybe because the sidepipes are tucked in close to the bottom edge of the body??

17. Dave50

Dave50

I spent some time with Ted a few weeks ago, I am sad to say he is in rehab after a stroke. He was in good spirits and is doing ok. I have spoke to him about his roadster before as I wanted to clone it car has a nail head with a 38 buick road master trans with torque tube drive, 6 97`s, what a Bitchin` car he did all the work himself paint motor everything except the Nancy stitched interior. Someday I will clone this car.

My headlights are awkwardly placed aswell;)

18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The placement of those headlights harkens back to the silly law passed by California concerning headlight height. Glad it was squashed.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that car belonged to a guy named Les Jarvis in the mid seventies when it acquired it's flames and the Hot Wheels gig. If I'm not mistaken, Les was tied with Street Rodder magazine at the time maybe as an ad executive of sorts. I do remember that the car spent a winter here in Phoenix in a mentor's garage in '77 or so, and I saw it at that time. 'Course it's 11:00 pm, and back wide awake full of Nyquil, too...

20. Dave50

Dave50

The two pages arent in the 1st issue they messed up and didnt put them in they put themin the next issue i have both.

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Hey, I have that one except in white! That was probably my favorite Hot Wheels growing up.

Well, actually, second to the brass-era touring car I took the fenders off of with a razor saw and brushed flat black.

22. flamingokid

flamingokid

Another beauty...

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've been promoting it for years.;)

24. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

I have the white one as well. They are part of my personal collection. I have been collecting since I was a kid.

Attached Files:

25. While the headlight placement could be a little better; they are hot rod headlights on hot rod headlight stands. Anyway, much better than big old Guides or stock '32s sitting low on the frame horns way out in front of the grille, looking like frog eyes or something.

RoddyB34 likes this.
  26. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

I was fortunate enough to meet Ted and have a great conversation with him. I made the journey up the kangamangus highway to purchase a LaSalle grill shell. I had no idea who he was until we got to talking. I commented on the magazine covers he had displayed in his garage, and told him I actually just picked that issue up at a swap meet the weekend before. He then informed me it was him in the drivers seat! and that he built both cars. then he got to talking of his role in the hayday of hot rodding in so-cal, and that he built the roadster in his aunts chicken coop! He showed me the 5-window deuce he was currently working on, and then showed me the rest of his collection of bikes and cars. Great guy, great time.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I don't think that the headlights are awkwardly placed. A lot of cars are still or were built that way during that period of time.

I'm of the school of thought that headlights are actually a functional part of a car and I tend to agree with minimum headlight height laws.

IMO headlights need to be high enough to actually function as they are intended and I do not like the tendency to mount them right down low at the bottom of the grille and in some cases too far forward or too close together.

Again IMO it can ruin the look of an otherwise nice car.

I have 2 of the Hot Wheels that were offered years ago at McDonalds.
    A red one and a orange one. :)

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      210.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    RoddyB34 likes this.
  28. F&J

F&J

X3...
    The "New" hamb:cool:, where you can speak the old ways, and not get spanked.

although, those "big old Guides" just mentioned, actually do show up a lot in 50s pics. Those being the deeper bucket type. The shallower versions were very often used on later 50's and then King Bee sized ones in the 60s.

I have only seen one real '50s pic of a Texas-build (32 coupe) with the very low lights, so it sure was not common, by any stretch.

RoddyB34 likes this.
  29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

This is how I feel about lights,both when I was building in the 50's on and now,big lights were too old and thought of as ugly,low lights were only looked at as poor engineering