Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects worksheet? project build log?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dinokruzordinance, Oct 1, 2013.

1. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

I used ryans advanced search function with no luck.

Found one thread on a guys 37 ford build(roadster) had a build sheet

Anyone have a worksheet or file they use to record build progress or set their action planner up. I know some notes scribbled on paper or a list in your head is how most get done.

Any examples or web addresses of downloadable examples would be great.

I got a couple projects and a few clpiboards with notes but would like more definitive strategies

Thanks for any insight
    dean

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

The guy from Gearz tv show sells one. It is about 20.00 but has pages for part numbers and details. I made my own but the Gearz one would probably be better organized.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

One of the best home car builders in Houston once told me his projects got completed so quickly because he used a large desk top calendar pad with large squares for each day mounted on his garage wall just inside the door.
    When he got a project car he would break the job down into "projects" for each day and fill them in on his large calendar. Then on each day he would complete that project. Before you know it you have a complete built front end ready to be installed, then a complete rearend and suspension, then the frame is ready with mounts for engine, trans, suspension, etc., then the brake pipes are bent and installed, then the steering box, then the dashboard and so on and so on. Word to the wise, don't make projects too large for the time alloted per day.
    The daily projects grow into finished portions of the car which are stored until their time for install. Strict adherence to the schedule is ideal but shit happens just pick it back up when you can. Keep a build book with part numbers etc. for future reference.

4. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

5. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Thanks for the replies

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Start a build thread. That way, we can tell you what you're doing wrong and how we'd do it. :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  7. Haha..sad but true;):rolleyes:

8. Build Thread works well. (kind a keeps you going) I also keep a folder for receipts and paperwork that comes with bought items gauges, switches etc. I do a wiring diagram / layout on paper and also keep that in folder.

9. This sounds really great, but what about the days spent waiting for cash to build, what about the days your medical problems won't let you get out of bed. Keeping track of part numbers or at least where the part came from is cool, the rest no so much.

10. What kind of medical problems keep you from getting out of bed?

11. Fenders

Fenders

I use a blank notebook, make all my notes, part numbers, dimensions, wiring diagrams, etc in it. I save all my receipts and parts instruction sheets in a separate folder.
    Both of these help even after the car is built to be able to go back and look up something you need to know.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done pretty much like Fenders said he has done in post 11 and am a bit of an advocate of doing it.

Mine have been/are three ring binders with a batch of page saver pages and a set of those tabbed divider pages to keep the various sections separate.

Nothing fancy or elaborate as it includes the paperwork from when I bought the project including the bill of sale and in one case a print out of the Ebay receipt for what I paid for the vehicle.

One had a copy of the title for the donor car for the engine, trans and rear end and the paperwork from the scrap yard that I hauled the hulk to that noted that I had given them the title. No questions as to where the drivetrain come from. I also had a photo of the donor rig in that section and a couple of photos from when we pulled the engine and trans.

All the receipts for all the parts I bought for it with side notes as to what they were or in the case of seals and wheel bearings where they went.

I've walked a couple of rigs though state inspection here locally with the build books and while they did look through them I think they found them a bit boring but they did clarify where the major parts came from and that I was the legal owner of said parts.

I can't say I keep a build log though and don't see my collections of photos notes and receipts as such. It's more to tell what I have in the car, where it came from and parts numbers to help ease buying replacement parts or to help the next owner figure out what the car is built with.

13. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

More great insight. Thanks for the replies and the humor

14. gicknordon

gicknordon

Ive been keeping track of mine on a excel spread sheet. Easy to add up costs on there too.

15. rustang

rustang

I'm like alot of guys...I break everything down into small projects. I do use a legal pad to mark down Ideas, what to tackle, what needs to be don "when", wiring ideas, fabrication setups, whatever. I do this with every project.

The picture below shows the paperwork I've done for my truck project starting late 2011. The stack of papers are setups and interweb ideas on everything from alternator to taillights....

The legal pad has all my ideas, many part number, "to do" and "need" lists and dates completed... it is full front to back and 1/2 of it double sided.

I also have a ziplock bag of the part number of everything in the truck, shocks i used to spark plugs... this is so anyone who has this truck in the future will be able to replace much of it if needed.

I also have huge manila envelope of every, single, receipt.... I will never add them all up... better of not knowing LOL

Attached Files: