Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A sedan rear seat tank info...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ricco, Sep 25, 2013.

1. ricco

ricco

Before anyone says it...I have searched and read all the other posts about model A sedan tank ideas, and there was some interesting ideas.
    I'm looking for a little more specific information. I want to run a tank behind the rear seat with a bulkhead. I would like to know, from the vast experience and knowledge on here, what you have found fits and works best for this application. If you have pictures please post them too. Thank in advance, I do appreciate the help.

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Ricco, I am not a fan of tanks in the rear like that, but that said the easiest would be to find a vehicle in a junkyard that runs a vertical style gas tank.
    I know were tanks like that around in the past but dont recall now what make model they are from.

Others may now!

I prefer my tanks down low and away from rear impact damage.
    A low tank helps with your center of gravity for handling purposes.

Ignoring the rear impact issues and putting the tank outside the cab, I think considering a 32 style gas tank on model A rails is always worth thinking about.

Please post what you find a nd decide later so others may benefit from your searching...

3. crusty a

crusty a

I'm also looking at doing a rear tank. I've looked at 56 f-100 outlet exits on drivers side. Seems like fairly minor mods to be made(depending on your fabrication skills)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Early 60s to 72 GM truck tanks were behind the seat with a drivers side filler and are available re-popped. You could also look into a safety bladder instead of a bulkhead. I believe you can have them custom made.

5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Check summit racing. I ran an aluminum 17 gallon that stood up behind my 2 jump seats. Check my album. Should have a pick in there. I believe it was 7 inches wide. I searched for a while and was my best option at the time.

6. I have a '30 tudor and I put the tank behind the rear seat like you said. The car is channeled 2 1/2" with a 4" chop, and i can still fit in the rear seat.

Start planning from the front, I did not cut or resess the firewall, the motor/trans is low enough so the floor is flat, no trans hump. the column is shortened enough so the front seats can sit in about the correct place. I shortened the bottom of the rear seat about 4 or 6" and also tied the springs down to get the seat lower. The tank i'm useing is a 10 gal unit from a "T" and I built a bulkhead in front of the tank that supports the rear or the rear seat.
    I wish I had some photos of the set up but don't.

7. My '28 Tudor is stil under construction, but I have a 17 gal RCI tank that I'm putting behind the rear seats, with a steel firewall to seperate it from the passenger compartment.
    Here's a link:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-2171A/

Also, I've saved some other HAMBers' build pictures on my home computer. Will post those this evening.

8. ricco

ricco

Thanks for the input and ideas. It is appreciated. When I figure out what I'm going to use I'll take lots of picture and post them.

9. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

The tank just Gary showed is what I ran.mine was anchored tilted back a hair to flow a little better with the angle of the back seats.

10. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

11. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Thanks for this thread. I was thinking a tank behind the seat also. I was leaning toward making one out of a little thicker steel 1/8 inch possibly. Thought that might help on impacts?

12. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

i don't particularly like the looks of the 32 tanks on model a's. but what would a round spun aluminum look like mounted low out back?

13. I think a tank of any size would look too big back there.

14. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used a tank from a 48-52 ford pickup for 3 different Model A tudors. It fits like it was made for it. Installed the first one in 1963. Never had a problem. Build a nice removable enclosure around it too act as a seat back Have never seen a 2 door in which the back seat is really used. This will give you a nice jump seat or a place for luggage. I couldn't post a picture but you can check Speedway part # 91004852 for reference. See here for pictures.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52296758@N06/

15. Here are some pictures of motoandy's setup:

Attached Files:

16. And here's SVO's setup:

Attached Files:

17. And finally, two other different tudor sedan tanks. They're from the HAMB, but I don't know whose cars.

Attached Files:

18. ricco

ricco

Thanks for the input guys. Gives me a few ideas and options.

19. titus

titus

20. titus

titus

found the pics

Attached Files:

21. choke

choke

I built this tank out of 18 ga. stainless. It's completely mounted in rubber w/ full baffleling. It has flush mount gas door on driver's side. I used #8 hardware for a breather out side the body. The rear cage is for mounting and crash protection both side and rear. The body is a 31 model A four door. Still plenty of room for a rear seat.

Attached Files:

22. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

^^^^nice work

23. ricco

ricco

I like the cage idea for the back. A little extra protection never hurts.

24. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

25. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal