Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage hot rod parts overload/going to the scrapper PICS FIXED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

*** Items for sale from this stash are in this classifieds thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9319066#post9319066

Long story short, I wound up being able to legally get in to a huge yard that was being scrapped. The former owner hoarded car parts for years. He lost the property, a bank seized it and hired a scrap company to come clean it up. The scrap company wanted to get it done fast, and fortunately we were able to get in and scrounge while they were scrapping. As you can see from the pics, it was total overload. Every time I returned I found more stuff that I walked right by the previous time. We got some goods, but lots of this stuff was scrapped. Unfortunate. There was some really cool stuff in there. Lots of it was junk, but who knows what DIDN'T get uncovered and found. We found some 409 stuff (heads, valve covers), a couple 348 motors (one tri power), a model T roadster, bunch of early corvette parts, 36 ford grill, '55 austin healey grill, '40 ford front ends/brakes, a few early dropped axles, '56 2 dr belair, bunch of odds/ends like carbs, tri power intakes, gauges, hurst 4 spd shifters, some old tools, just a bunch of random stuff.... Thought you folks would enjoy some pics. The place was FULL of pigeon poop, mice/rats and I ran into one racoon living under a pile of hoods. The old floors creak and sag, the old wooden stairs sway when you climb them, and the place just has that cool OLD abandoned building feel to it. It is an absolute BLAST climbing through a place like this. Looks like a total haunted factory type thing....

Views from outside:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The yard:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now lets go inside and have a look around:
    -
    -
    -
    -

Bottom floor first:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

On up to the second floor:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Third floor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fourth floor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5th floor/rafters:

This room was full of old corvette parts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for now. Hopefully you enjoyed the tour. I didn't include pics of the basement, or several of the other rooms or buildings. I was too busy trying to find stuff to take too many pictures, but this gives an idea.

Mac

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. Man,I hope you guys saved this beauty,,this old truck is just too cool. HRP

[​IMG]

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Very sad. Obviously, the guy was a hoarder. A lesson to be learned.

6. Murch

Murch

This caught my eye as well, really cool, never seen one before!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Wavy!

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Can't imagine walking through that place and being under the gun on how much time you had. Thanks for the story and pics.

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:What a treasure chest.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Wow, too bad you couldn't get in there quicker. Tons of parts!

11. Man, it's really sad to think of some of that stuff being scrapped. What a shame! I'm glad you were able to get in there and save a little.

12. We moved from Bonham, Texas to Decatur, Texas in a truck similar to that. I got to ride between my dad and the truck owner. Wow that was along time ago.

13. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I think its an old Mayflower moving van....

14. That's what I was thinking that it might be some type of moving van. HRP

15. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

The story always seems to change with that place not sure what one is true... I do know the old guy who has the place started letting people in last year, I have some pics I will need to see if I can find with all the cars outside he had some cool stuff and I know Corvettes are taboo here but he had some serious money in vintage vette parts.. The property has been for sale I know it is worth some serious cash where it is, well in the 7 digits I would be amazed the old guy let it get repoed he has owned it since the 80's I know but who knows... Thanks for sharing pics never been in the main building.

16. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

No he lost it to the bank. This much I know to be true.

17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

There's an identical '47-50 GMC COE Mayflower van here in Idaho Falls. They keep it inside, and the interior still looks new ...

18. Wow Mac! I gotta call you this week and hear some of the details! I would love the front half of that touring car!

19. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Dang. Looks like an early Sunbeam Alpine hardtop. I've been searching high and low for one of those that I could afford. You guys have all the luck. Hope you are able to save everything you are interested in.
    Farmalldan

The yard:

[​IMG]

[/QUOTE]

20. phukinartie

phukinartie

21. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

What a pleasent journey for my eyes,my heart however is sad to see so much cool stuff go to waste, and just think of the places that are still around that we don't know about filled with treasures either waiting to be discovered or destroyed!!

22. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

The old green moving van is stuffed full of old tires. He has a title to it and I can get it. Not sure on price yet. The problem for me is storage. I can't exactly put that baby in the garage! How do you haul it out of there? It would probably be more costly to get it out than the truck is worth. Crappy position to be in, I know. I would love to see it saved, but I can't do it.

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It's so sad to see that the owner was literally "done in" by the stuff he collected.
    He didn't sell it off and he couldn't move it.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

amazing place - Thanks for pics. I would have had more fun going through that place than the big Chevy car estate sale in Nebraska. post some pics of what you ended up buying.

25. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

It is so over whelming.... there is so many parts. I have got some really cool pieces out of there so far and still trying to get more...

26. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Thanks for the pictures! Cool stuff. Is it all gone yet or is that coming soon?

27. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Me, Milkweed and Kipper34 have got a pretty good haul of stuff out of there. I have a good "in" so we will keep getting what we can, but lots of this stuff is going to be scrapped unfortunately.

28. there was a television game show that the contestants had to push a shopping cart around and fill it with as much stuff as possible in a set time. it must feel like that.
    hey...maybe call the networks....

29. big M

big M

Great find!

Glad you were able to get in and save a portion of it.

---John

30. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have a plan. If we can't get enough stuff out of there in time, I'm going to call the police and tell them there's a body in the basement. That should shut down the scrap operation for a bit. Maybe get us a little more time? ha ha ha ...