Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Carter's 29 Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Carter, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Are those the fronts I sold you

2. Carter

Carter

Yep, they sure are Jim. They run really nice down the road.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Damm, Should have kept them!!!

Was Worried that they were not gonna work for. No telling how long they layed around in that warehouse. Did you ever find any dates on them?

4. Carter

Carter

They are in incredible shape. I've never really been able to figure out if any of the numbers on any of my old tires correlate to a date. They all predate DOT codes by a while. From what I've read, being Mobil Socony Vacuums, they are early 50's at the newest. They dropped that brand then. I'd have to look through my saved info to find the exact dates.

5. Carter

Carter

Socony and vacuum merged in 1931, and in 1955, socony vacuum became socony Mobil, so I think they'd have to be between those dates.

6. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378690710.521039.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378690726.403401.jpg

7. Carter

Carter

Ok, so I haven't had much time to work on or drive the roadster lately. Between work and school, I just haven't had the time.
    I did get a pair of hopefully functional shocks bolted on the rear and got the shock links shortened.
    I've also been working on a tach drive. It's almost done.
    Also, still have a gas tank leak. The tank is unbolted and ready to come out.

I'll be working on the car most of the weekend, so I should have some kind of updates by Monday. After that, it's a trip to New Jersey.
    When I get home from there, the car is coming back apart to get finished and to fix some small leaks, etc. Not a lot needs done to the chassis, so this winter, time permitting, will be all about getting the body ready for paint. It's got a long way to go.

8. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Damn man....this is looking so good!!! Where did you find the knobby 17's???!!! That's what I've been searching for, for my roadster and finally gave up and bought Excelsiors!!

Excellent work, Bro!!!!!

9. Carter

Carter

Thanks, man. Bought the 17"s at a swap meet a couple years ago. I've had pretty good luck finding NOS and great condition cool old tires. Wish there were more options for 17 & 18" wires.

Sent from my H866C using H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Lucas Classic tires sells a real close copy of that Goodyear tire in 17". They call it the "700-17 Bedford BW" they don't have anything thinner in that style though...

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

11. daddio211

daddio211

12. Carter

Carter

Yep, already on the list.

Not for this car, though. I don't want to go any bigger than the 6.00-18s that are on the back now.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  13. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Tell me more about that stare cable you had and how it works pic. if possible . I have a 30 coupe hard to reach the starter thanks:rolleyes:

14. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Tell me more about that starter cable you had and how it works pic. if possible . I have a 30 coupe hard to reach the starter thanks:rolleyes:

15. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

show that starter cable you put in your car I got a 30 coupe and its hard to get to the starter pics if you can thanks :rolleyes:

16. Carter

Carter

It's a stock model B starter cable mounted in the column drop.

I can't seem to post pictures from my phone, I'll keep trying.

17. Carter

Carter

Just got done pulling my leaky gas tank out. Going to install one I borrowed off of a good friend.

18. GearHead614

GearHead614

I just saw in one of of your first posts that you got your Stantions and top from Nick Spragg, Those where on a 28-29 Roadster i had a few years ago! Nick got it from the guy i sold it to and then he sold off some of the parts. Pretty cool that they made it back on a wicked Roadster again!
    This is what it looked like when i had it

[​IMG]

19. Carter

Carter

That is cool. Some of these parts get around, eh?

Got my borrowed gas tank installed and put some fuel in it. Hopefully tomorrow there will be no leaks.

20. Awesome build....Great Job

21. I like the pre war builds alot. Any idea what you are going to do about a hood? My 31 is very similar to yours and I still can not decide just a hood top or run sides also. I think they look good with the sides but on the other hand sure do like showing off the Winfield stuff.

22. Carter

Carter

I keep hood tops in the trunk in case I need them, but I don't plan on running a hood very often.

23. Carter

Carter

Well, the borrowed tank is a leaker also. Damn I need to find a tank fast!

24. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Can't you solder them?

25. Carter

Carter

Probably could, Zach, but I've never soldered a tank, and I don't have much time. Also, don't have a big iron, and don't like the idea of doing it with an open flame.

26. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

You could heat up a piece of metal of some sort with the torch and use that as the iron. Keeping the flame away from the tank. Just a thought. Good luck!

27. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

We welded up a couple pinholes in my tank with a MIG. I drained the tank long in advance and left the cap off for a week or so and the day of sloshed a mixture of water and degreaser in it more than a few times before attempting the weld.

Was it the 'right' thing to do? Maybe not, but my tank doesn't leak any more, we all still have our eyebrows...

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

28. Carter

Carter

Haha, yeah, welding on tanks makes me nervous. I know the proper way is to purge with inert gas while welding, but still...

29. Carter

Carter

If it comes down to it, I'll strap a couple gallon tank in the trunk and run a fuel line as a temporary solution for this weekend.

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

if you need it welded up dave, i can have it tig welded without a problem. should be an easy fix. let me know man.