Register now to get rid of these ads!

The things you find in old abandoned buildings...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

About four stories up on an old rotten wood floor. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hey, that's cool. What were you doing there, and what did you do with those parts?

3. Cruiser

Cruiser

Looks like a cool maybe Dodge bucket body worth taking, more pictures would be interesting. :D

CRUISER :cool:

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No need for the dramatic entrance. Just tell us the story.

5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

A grill and left rear quarter from a 60 Chevy BelAir appears to be there too.

6. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

That IS the story. Found some parts in the upper floor of an old abandoned building. Wasn't meant to be a "dramatic entrance". Sorry to disappoint.

The body is a model T roadster.

7. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

There is still a lot of stuff out there. In my area, its just over the hill, you cant see from the road, or in some small, one car garage, and been there for years.Ive found cars, locally, ive driven by for years and was unaware of them. Usually the best thing you can do is let others know, your interested in that kinda stuff.Sometimes, if they know this, they will let you know, if they know of anything. That looks like some good stuff, may be a problem getting down four floors though.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I meant details. Like is it a building slated to get demolished? Is the owner of the building selling the stuff? Does he even know it's there? Where's it at?

That kind of stuff.

9. millersgarage

millersgarage

sweet rototiller

10. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

building has been abandoned for years, is going to be demo'd soon. Buddy of mine works for a scrap company hired to go clear everything out. I wish I had more pics. There's more stuff in there than you can believe. We saved a 36 Ford grill, some finned buick brakes, box of 409 valve covers, T roadster, some old vette parts, couple 348s (one tri power), handful of tri power manifolds, some '40 front end parts, some earlier for front end parts, some other small pieces, but good stuff....

Shame, everything is being crushed as we speak. There are thousands of blocks/heads/intakes, carbs, exhaust manifolds, fenders, quarters, windshields, seats, doors, I'm talking thousands and thousands of miscellaneous parts. It would take weeks if not months to go through it all. Scrappers won't take the time. They just bulldoze it all, smash it up, crush it and sell it. We got what we could, but lots of goods went to the scrapper today. Total bummer.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Y'know, they made Sting Ray roadsters right from the factory. :)

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

13. Why so many parts in there? What did the building used to be?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Sweet. That's what dreams are made of. "H.B."

15. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Its too bad nobody found out about that building sooner. If the stuff you saved was just the tip of the iceburg I can only imagine what got destroyed. Sad to see it all go, but rad that you got there in time to at least save some of it!

16. 1955IHC

1955IHC

That's pretty kool. Places like this that are scheduled to be demolished are the types of places that we should be giving each other a heads up on before they get scrapped.

Sent via Western Union Express

17. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

People have known about it for a long time but nobody could get in. The guy was a hoarder. Then all of a sudden he lost the property to the bank, they seized everything and called a scrap company to "clean it up". The scrapper doesn't care. They brought in some heavy equipment and a portable car crusher to park on the property. They just want to get the job done as fast as possible. Luckily I was able to get in with a couple buddies and do a quick scrounge to see what we could save. There's so much there though, we probably didn't scratch the surface.

18. docmike

docmike

There used to be a place kind of like that here. The place used to be an auto parts distributer/warehouse. Someone told me that I should try to check out the "third floor" if I ever got the chance. Well, I was working in auto parts at the time and I knew the manager of this warehouse and I asked him if I could check out the third floor. He told me to come back the following Saturday when the owner wouldn't be around. Let me first say that at the time I wasn't into the vintage auto hobby. I showed up the following Saturday and made my way upstairs. I REALLY wish I'd known then what I know now. There must have been 200 sets of aftermarket fender skirts, most still in boxes. And hubcaps, my G%&, there were aftermarket hubcaps everywhere... and I'm not talking about the crappy plastic ones from the 70s/80s. I'm sure most everybody remembers those ugly plaid seat covers? Yep, too many to count along with floor mats to match the seat covers. Well, the owner passed away a number of years ago and the family closed parts warehouse and sold off the "current" inventory. The building was sold after sitting idle for a few years. The new owners quietly cleaned everything out and I never heard anything about any of these parts being saved. They were just gone. :( Like I said, if I'd known then what I know now I would have tried to get a business loan to purchase all those old parts.

Doc

19. Big Mac....you did what you could ---- thanks ---- sure some stuff will find good homes....

we've all been there...trying for years to buy....only to see it at the scap yard....and they are getting - here in DFW - not letting you take it back out....sad...

thanks again Big Mac for doing what you could - I've been there to with the salvage guys....keep smiling....and bring donuts....!

20. So you missed the shopping cart full of Stromberg 81s ? :eek:

21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Was this place in Rockford?

22. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

That's how the upstairs of my Father-in-Law's body shop looked at one time. Unfortunately most of it meet the same fate......"It's all just a bunch of old shit" that ended up scrapped! As many times as I try to tell him that it isn't ALL just a bunch of old shit, he's probably probably thrown out stuff that could have made him far more than the scrap value he got for it!

23. Well that just ruined my day :(

24. docmike

docmike

Yes, it was in Rockford.

Doc

25. Did you get that Vette body?

26. solos10

solos10
    from so.cal

Bhhhhhlq

27. oldolds

oldolds

Years ago there was a $1.00 pile at Carlisle swap meet. Dollar Charlie. His buisness was warehouse clean outs. He used to bring stiff like that, old stock, various car parts. He was paid to clean it out and passed it along. He still sets up. No more $1.00 pile. He realized he could make money! I remember the days of a tractor trailer of N.O.R.S
    Seat covers, hub caps. accessory parts from the 30's up at a $1.00 a part. So some guys do try to make it go away in the right direction.