Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for Cadillac Flathead.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Pete

Pete

Does anybody remember that flathead caddy that was on e-b$y a month or so ago?? It was a military issue one that was still in the crate??? I think it was in NY.....iv been trying to find it with no luck so I figured I would try my luck here...I know theres a few caddy guys that may have saved the auction..

Thanks

pete-

2. Pete

Pete

Hmmmmm, anybody?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i'm moving this to the big board. more people might see it there, Pete.

4. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

I dont know of the one you are looking for but we may be able to help you find what you need -- I am with Flatcad racing and we run the flat caddy in our car PM me if we can help

Don

5. 22 track

22 track

6. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380315886.184491.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380315904.114209.jpg Is this the engine you are looking for?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Be careful. There are many differences between the tank engine and the car engine. I saw some discussion of this a while back. The conclusion was, if you want to use one in an old Cadillac don't waste your time. It would be easier and cheaper to rebuild a civilian model than change over a military one. Changes in block castings, cooling system etc.

8. Pete

Pete

YES>>>>>>>thats the one! The one in the crate.

What are the exact differences???

Pete-

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Rusty, where did you get that info? What I've seen differs!

Pete,

No worries about using a military block! The dizzies are different, generators are different, and sometimes runs along the bottom of the intake, so use a car intake.

The exhaust are usually different, but no big deal there!

The real issue is the block and cooling, like Rusty brought up. however, I have NEVER seen a military block that was different than the commercial. military blocks are fine to use, judst bolt on the car accerecies-timing cover, generator, etc., that you already have,

I've heard that later military blocks had a higher molybdenum content, but I can't confirm this.