Register now to get rid of these ads!

A girl and her truck, it's a beautiful thing...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Oct 24, 2005.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

This is my 48 GMC truck, my most recent purchase. It is a Deluxe 5 window with a Straight 6. I'm going to put a 425 Nailhead in it with probably a 400 transmission or a 3 speed lasalle. I plan to drive it often, haul light loads and tow my drag car with it to the local track (like a mile and a half away, open trailer with a light car). I would like to remove the straight axle and go with a new front end set up. I'm considering a Mustang II or something similar. I'm really concerned though with the strength of a Mustang II kit. Will it be strong enough for this big ol truck? I also would like to know your thoughts on brakes. She's gonna go fast, I'd like her to be able to stop just as fast. I'd like to get her good and low, plan to bag it. I haven't even began to think about what to do in the rear. The towing is not super important. I have a new truck to do that with, just kinda wanted to use the 48 for a nostalgic feel. So tell me your stories, what worked and what didn't. I wanna hear about your headaches so I don't have the same ones! I'm ready for your worldly advice.
    Here some pics of what's done so far. And no, I don't plan to paint it (yet)!
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Not much help but I'm using the front end pieces from an 84 Chevy on my '65.

No real reason to dump the beam axle unless you just want an independent, you can adapt discs to the front if you want. I think that Ravin61 can probably get part numbers for ya. But the Mustang will hold it up.

Low or not shouldn't keep you from towing with it. If you just move the rear to the top of the springs that's good for about 3" and a good set of airshocks will take care of towing capacity.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great looking project. Solid ass truck. Five window to boot.
    Great looking shop too.
    Wish I had that much light.
    3/4 ton huh. I'd bob the bed if it were me.
    Hell, I even think that 1/2 ton beds aren't proportionate to the cabs
    Whatever your choice of front ends, Id defiinitely box the frame first. Front to back. Especially since you'll be Having plenty of hp.
    My experience for front end conversions is only the tried and true Must 2 setup
    These all do have different quality so be sure to pick a good one if this is your choice. The Must 2' kits can handle these trucks.
    Many here have went with rebuilding the original setups and i'm sure now they are sorry to say they have decided to do that.
    Getting a low ride height and the handling at 65-75 mph highways speeds aren't conducive to these original front ends.
    Good luck on your project. And I need alittle shop space if you can spare??:D
    pj

4. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

some more pics....

Attached Files:

5. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

All the SoWhat guys have 48s. And coincidentally they're girls too.
    If you search around here for S-10 frame swap tech pieces, I think Clark has it pretty much down to a science. I know he did a tech at some point but I'm too damned lazy to look.
    Good luck on the truck.

6. leadsled01

leadsled01

Thats gonna be a great truck. Hope to see you at Summit some time. Jerry

7. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Thanks for the pics! That's great seeing you wrenching on that truck. Keep us posted for updates in the future.

8. raven

raven

My .02 worth.
    If you are wanting to drive it all of the time, go with the S-10 swap.
    You might run into some fabbing with the nailhead though.

I am running a dropped I-beam axle on the front with discs all the way around. Reversed eye leaf springs front and rear and the rear has a 1" lowering block. I also have front and rear sway bars. The combination is bullet-proof. Therre is no need to box the frame on these trucks unless you are going pro stock with them. the stock frame is plenty strong as long as you have no rust though in the frame.
    Let me know if you want any further info on my truck.
    r

9. I have to agree with the S-10 frame swap. You get the IFS and can upgrade to as big of brakes as your wallet allows. The S-10 frame is probably as strong as the stock one, if not more since it is boxed already. You get low and all the benefits of the IFS and P/S if you want it. I can not imagine installing the nailhead should not be any more work then the work to put it in the stock rails.

The truck looks like a good starting point, 5-windows are always good looking.

10. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Good for you! Looks great! Lots of work ahead of you by the looks of it, but keep at it!

Jason
    Magnetos CC

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Alot of these old truck have frames that have weakened with age and abuse over the years.
    I'm speaking from experience. I have seen unboxed truck frames crack at the webs and legs both with converted front end setups or when a large powerplant is entered into the summary. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

12. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

The frame on this truck is solid. It is originally out of Virginia. I hadn't really thought much about the S10 swap. I guess what it comes down to is I'm looking to make this truck a good driver that will haul once a week. I want to be able to drive it for miles and miles without problems. I plan to take it on long trips. What do I do about the rear? If I'm bagging it what kind of springs should I get? It was suggested that I Z it in the rear if I'm going to tow with it at all. What do you guys think?

38Chevy454--I love your location description. I say that all the time about CA!

13. If you want to tow and haul much, I would keep the stock leaf setup and add the supplemental airbags for the increased load. You can get de-arched leafs that will drop the S-10 rear way down without using a lot of lowering block height. or you could do a four-link or similar with only airbags. The front is standard S-10 and there are numerous sources to do that with bags.

Believe me, CA is full of fruits and nuts, and not just the agriculture!!!

14. Clarks S10 frame swap

great truck along w/great ideas. i have a 425/400 caddy in mine on a S10 frame. isnt done but i'm making progress. good luck....joe

15. That looks like a good starting point.

I'd bet the S-10 swap would be much cheaper than a Mustang kit. I know that the Mustang kit is an easy install though. I'd box that frame if I went with the Mustang kit.

As far as your weight in the front goes, a reputable suspension supplier should be able to tell you what spring rate would be needed. If you bag it, I imagine your supplier could tell you what size/rate bag you'd need to handle the Nailhead.

In the rear I'd consider an 8 or 9 in Ford on leafsprings. Build it to sit where you want it then add the bags to handle the extra weight of a load or trailer.

Keep us posted.

JH

16. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Thanks a lot for the link...I looked but couldn't find it! :D

17. rsg2506

rsg2506

That looks like a pretty solid truck. I have a 48 3100 and I use a dropped straight axle in front. It rides fine to me and it sits just right in my opinion. The S-10 or mustang II route isn't a bad option but I wouldn't over look what you already have. As for the rear, mid 70's camaro rears are supposed to fit well between the stock leafs.

Check out the http://www.stovebolt.com/ too. They have a lot great information on these old trucks.

-Rich

Attached Files:

18. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Why??????

19. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

She's got patina! You can't paint that much character on a car! The original owner had it from 1948-1993 and then the guy I bought it from had it for the last 12 and did nothing with it. Anyways, the truck was originally red, then white, then that oh so popular turquoise and now navy blue. It looks neato multi colored. The red oxide (some would call rust) only adds to its charm!

20. johnboyrox

johnboyrox
    from Ottawa, KS

2nd generation f-body 10 bolt rears are cheap, well supported in the aftermarket, some came with factory disc, they have the easiest bolt pattern in the world to find wheels for, don't come with a whole lot of brackets welded on them, and are relatively strong. Here are the measurements:

hub to hub 60 5/8"
    spring seat to spring seat centers 45 3/8"

I have seen a passenger car front end welded under a '50 that lined up real nice. I think he said it was a Monte Carlo. I don't know what year though.

21. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

oh, well i guess if you like that ratty look.

22. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Someday I'll paint it. I grew up with shiny paint and lots of chrome. So once I get it road worthy and running I'll save up and paint it. :cool:

23. Clark

Clark

Rox...here's my truck it's on an S-10 frame and it's my daily driver. I pull a car trailer with it all the time. No problems.

I don't know how to link the tech article but go to Tech archives. You may have to change the date to "see all". Lots of other good tech in there too.

The tech gives all the tricks I used. If you have any queastions just ask.

See you in Daytona??
    Clark

PS ..the blue is how it looks now.

Attached Files:

24. Clark

Clark

BTW ...I checked the tech archives and everything is still there. It's under "S-10 frame swap" My name isn't under it. My name changed since that was posted.
    Clark

25. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

Pretty nice looking truck...

26. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

nice truck, a girl with wheel thats so cool. :) :) :)

27. himmelberg

himmelberg

First shot out of the barrel I planned on the Pinto ifs for my F-100. Ended up rebuilding my solid axle and am happy that I stayed stock. Reason being that I drive an old truck. It looks like an old truck and drives like one. With the rebuild the steering is crisp and light but has that truck feel. It's great to drive a truck that looks cool and its inherent qualities, its truckishness, is something I wouldn't trade a so called smooth ride for.

Your drive train choices are cool. Swapping out suspension parts are cool too if that's what you want to do. Just wanted to share my opinion after going the stock route. Food for thought.

doling out useless opinions one at a time, himmelberg

28. sickboy13

sickboy13

where ya at in ohio?

29. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

You go!

Looks like a good start.

I miss mine badly.

Actually, I found a very, very solid 54 with a 235/3spd. I may snag. Love the 235's with split's and duals:D

I'll make it look just like the one I got rid of. He's already changed the appearence of that one.

Good luck

30. But if you go with the S-10 frame swap you still have a truck suspension under ya, but without having to box the rails, and yer workin' with a chassis thats only a decade or two old instead of something over half a century old. Something to think about if you live in the rust belt like I do. I put my IHC p/u on an 87 S-10 chassis and it looks great sits low and was quite easy to do despite what many of the whiners may say!