Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 3W my way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Xman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Xman

Xman

I got this car out of Georgia several years ago from a guy with no conscious at all. I got lots of pictures and asked all the right questions. I found out later that he was very careful how he took the pictures and outright lied when he answered my questions.
    So here I am, doing my best to build a 34 coupe with a badly beat up body, (a shed roof had fallen in on top of it).
    I sold the chassis that was under it and built up a new one using a frame I've had for about 20 years. Extended the wheelbase 4" and mounted the front spring to the split bones. Schroeder steering, model A rear X member and model T rear spring. I got a Rodsville QC from Sig Emerson and Hot RodWorks set it up for me (very nice). Merc flathead +.040, 4" crank, Navarro heads and intake hooked up to a T5.
    The body is so distorted that I didn't know where to begin making it right. After talking with Don Smart I ordered a complete floor from him channeled to the bottom of the frame.
    I now have the car mocked up so I can install the quarter flanks that Don Smart has also made for me and should be here soon.
    The roof insert came back today from Phoenix where Chip Quinn "Hot Rod Central" ("Need Louvers" here on the HAMB) punched 150 holes in it.
    He did a fantastic job! Thanks Chip!
    So, that's about where I'm at. I will be posting more as progress happens.
    I know people will ask if I'm going to chop it. Of course I'm going to chop it! A Bonneville 6" chop. Dan

Attached Files:

Squablow, jammer and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I love that deck lid. Someday, I'm gonna do a '34 3w.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

4. BarryA

BarryA

Beat up or not that looks great - looking forward to following this!

5. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

6. brady1929

brady1929

I like it. CHIP does an awesome job on louvers.

7. Lucky77

Lucky77

Love it! Someday I'll graduate from Model A's to Model 40's.

8. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I really like the direction this build is taking.

9. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

Wow ,it looks good setting down on wheels.

10. A Rodder

A Rodder

Looks great to me!

11. flamed58

flamed58

I like it a lot.
    Dusty

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn Dan, That looks great! I know you sent some chassis shots to me the other day, but did you move the front axle out ahead of the spring on this one a bit? I can't remember.

I like the louver pattern on the hood quite a bit, it's very similar to the way I lay them out with the louvers tipped like that to follow the hoods back edge.

13. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

You got the look I love. Keep the photos coming. The car looks good in the photos. The roof was pushed in on the passenger side? How did you push it out without moving the metal around it? I have a similar problem.

14. Xman

Xman

The guy in Georgia beat the roof out and welded some replacement pieces in. Then loaded it up with bondo. It was as thick as 1/2" in places. I had to replace the whole cowl due to the amount of covered up damage.
    I have been working out dents as I can. Installing the roof insert will fix a lot of problems as well as chopping the top 6". The belt line at the base of the roof was partially rolled under when it was pushed down and will be the biggest issue with the top. It's really buggered up.
    Pewsplace - do you have pic's of your car? I'd like to see what your issues are.
    Chip, I mounted the front spring to the bones, use a stock 37 V8 60 tube axle, a flat front X member, and moved the axle 4" forward. Not an original idea. It's been done many times before me.

jammer likes this.
  15. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I like the direction you are taking this build. Keep the pics coming!

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No, it's not original, and it has been done many times, but damn does it make the side view profile of a fenderless Model 40 special!!! Most skip it, or don't know that they should, so congrats on getting it just right!

17. Hmmmmmmmmm...love the extended wheelbase idea myself. I'll be building my 34 chassis soon and may borrow a few idears from you. I can only imagine how low the front would sit with a 4" dropped and drilled I-beam, reversed eye spring, and my flatter front crossmember.
    Damn! I'd prolly need 20 inch wheels to keep it from dragging the tip off the bottom of my grille shell!
    Nice build........

18. Xman

Xman

Here is a pic of what I have done, (in work). The oil pan clearance is minimal and I have an offset lower radiator hose kit from Flathead Jack. The radiator mounts at the top of the frame to clear the axle and I have a 4" shorter radiator coming from Walker.

Attached Files:

19. Regardless of what you started with the car looks fantastic,,,keep us up to date! HRP

20. Xman

Xman

I got a call from Don Smart last July 1 where he stated my quarter panels were done and to send him the $2200 ($1100 per side). I sent the money that very day. He cashed my check about four days later.
    Sad to say, 4 months later I still do not have the panels. The first 2 months I got every maner of excuses as to why he couldn't send them. Now he just dosen't answer the phone. He has caller ID, so he knows I'm trying to reach him.
    He is a wonderful guy to talk to and has a considerable knowledge of 33/34s. That's not worth much to me now. He has stalled my project for these four months, which really pisses me off. He has my $2200 which could be used to purchase a pair of SAR quarter panels. I don't think I'll ever see the money or the panels so I ordered the SAR panels so I could get moving again. Got the SAR panel in 3 days.
    Guy's like Don Smart take a lot of the fun out of project like this.

21. brady1929

brady1929

sorry you got screwed. can't wait to see a finished hot rod

22. Call him from some one else's phone and ask how long it would make you a set, then drop the bomb on him

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sorry to hear your still fighting the fight on this deal Dan. If I can help again, let me know.

24. Xman

Xman

Here is what it takes to make a 34 3W quarter panel out of a SAR roadster quarter. Not that hard, really.

Attached Files:

25. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Good to see that SAR is selling the quarter panels again. Keep the pics coming, this is an interesting project!

26. wicarnut

wicarnut

Looks Real GOOD! Great Rod. Has attitude. John

27. Xman

Xman

I took the body back off the floor and I'm mocking up the cowl, doors, Q panels and below deck panel. Things are lining up pretty well. I'm using draw cleco's and sheet metal screws so that I can adjust as I need to. I will be cutting the panel below the rear window off the body so I can mount and align the trunk lid.

Attached Files:

28. looks like a cool project! I'm having to go to similar lengths with my car.... adds a lot of work!

29. thequietwon

thequietwon

Love the car, everything about it. I am building a very similar 34 5w, have channeled it to the bottom of the frame as well & planning on a 4.5" chop (I'm 6'4"). A few questions on your frame...
    Are the front of the rails original? For some reason they look different to me. Have they been pinched or pie cut or anything? Is the front crossmember in the stock location? I have been planning something very similar, but while you see alot of 32's like this, I haven't seen too many 33-34's done like this. I appreciate your advise...
    Thanks...
    Sam