Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear tire question, cheater slick or something else

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Aug 13, 2013.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The problem with those tires are your 57 is not in my garage! That's my dream ride. My dad as first corvette was a57 vette straight axle flip front end car that was on the cover of popular hotrodding in the 60's.... Wanna trade 2 for one? My dart and my 64 f-100 for your vette?

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I traded my last 57 Corvette for a 57 Chevy Gasser back in 1972. Taken me 40 years to get another one , and I hope to hang onto this one the rest of my life. :)

3. jesse1980

jesse1980

M and h race master slicks, 8:50s

4. Sportsman pros

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thanks guys I really like the look of the slicks but want it to be safe for my daughter to drive

6. These dirtrack tires look good too!

Attached Files:

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you want safe, and decent looking, then you really should look at the M&H Drag Radials I posted pics of on my Austin sedan. I've driven the car in torrential downpours and many high speed miles in wet weather. They never gave any signs of losing traction. I even did some hard launches in the rain to see how they hooked up, and they didn't lose much over dry streets. They're DOT approved, and I'd take a cross country trip on them with no hesitation. I'm running 275-60-15 on 8.5" slots, and they're a nice fit on that size rim.

[​IMG]

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

I thought 'ET III' was the name of the resurrected company...?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Whoops....my bad.The brand is now called "ET Wheels by Team III"...and there is a listing on their site for ET III's,but they are more like the ones in the old ads with Prudhomme's fueller in the 70's.

10. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I'm wondering if there is anything to do the rims that are on it to give a older vibe, like maybe paint the spokes cast grey, I know that they are some crazy knock off brand that the previous owner bought, but the size would be right for the tire I buy( 15x8) I just don't have the funds to throw at a new set of rims and tires. Unless I can find a set of steelies for the back and sell all 4 of these rims to get 2, skinny team III's or skinny cragars, for the front. But I'm thinking I like the look of the falcon above with the drag grey 5 spokes and flat center cap..... Anybody found a good cast paint that looks right?

11. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378841208.097263.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378841223.662149.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378841237.815331.jpg
    These are the wheels in question, the fronts are way to wide for one, I have been searching for a inexpensive used set of chevy bolt pattern skinnys for the front, slots, cragars, anything cheap so I can afford to get the rear squared away

12. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

This is what I used its available cast grey. I had two different brand wheels and two colors so I used this.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

Attached Files:

13. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could just sandblast the centers (tape off the outer part of the rim) and they'll look like a set of old wheels. Cheap and easy.

14. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Blasting the centers is deff, and option. Although I am wondering if I just toss them on craigspiss and see if I can raise enough for at least some fronts and then go to the local u pic and pull and find some stock 15x8 steelies.. Although finding steelies that size now may be harder than I think..... Anybody have a clue what would have a 15x8 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern wheel anymore?

15. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

That color is spot on! That's also a good alternative....

16. brandon

brandon

wheel vintique or wheelkid......for that matter call wheel kid and get what offset you need . ive got a 15x8 with 5.5 back you can try out if you want...

17. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Brandon that would freaking rock. Let me see what my schedule is over the next couple days and see if I can swing down to grab it. My kids have me hopping this week, but I may be able to pull out of work early one day, I will call you before I head over...

18. brandon

brandon

let me know...:D

19. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

So would
    I totally kill the look if I went with a tire with tread on this thing? I'm thinking the pie crust is the one that would look the best, but just worried about driving long distance, and such. I kinda like the ET Streets but I'm just wondering with how
    Skinny the tire is gonna be how it would look. I'm thinking a 10" might be as wise as I can go. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379283885.288769.jpg

20. Just got my front runners and pie crusts from Towell City mounted up for my 55... In my opinion you can't beat the price, quality, and look compared to their competitors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I have to agree with you! I have been busy working bugs out and other things involved with life lol! I have decided that pie crust is the way I'm going, so I hope to order by this Friday!

22. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

You can always have a set of tires with legal tread, to get you to the destination safely then swap on the pie crusts.

Your Dart is McCool.......... Almost as McCool as a '62........ On your original thread started before you traded UP for this - it was suggested you go to the 8 3/4 original rear - that would be my choice......

:cool:

Just some of the '62 wagons that campaigned back in the day........

Attached Files:

23. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Well the previous owner traded up he gave me the dart plus alot of dead presidents. It made size to
    Do the trade due to alot of things. I have a guy local that will cut down the rear for $100, I can get my axles cut and splines and new one piece bearings for
    $200 so the. I will have an 8 3/4 rear the size I need. I just need to
    Get to the garage to do
    Some "3rd grade cypherin" so I can see
    Just how big of a tire to order to fit in the stock wheel well.
    I have a free evening coming up so that's the plan anywat

24. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I took the dart out today and noticed it wasn't fully going into 1st gear, so I had the boy hope in while I climbed underneath to adjust the cable. ( I had it in stands no worry about it rolling). And once I got under ther and started adjusting I noticed that I couldn't get it fully adjusted to go into all the gears.
    Not sure if the previous owner didn't install all the bits an pieces. It's a B&M shifter, so I'm gonna see if I can locate a instruction book for this one and start there, or I may pop for a new shifter... I I go that route any suggestions?

25. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Well after digging into the shifter more yesterday I think I am gonna pop for a new one. Any suggestions on what would work well with the 727?

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure which B&M you had, but I've had good luck with B&M myself. Depends on whether you want something old looking, (which wont usually pass tech due to no reverse lockout) or something that works regardless of looks.
    I've had a few B&M Megashifters that have the ratchet or regular mode choice built into them. But the only drawback is they only ratchet on the upshift, and have to return to normal mode to downshift. I have a B&M Pro Ratchet in my '46 Austin now, and I like it better, as it ratchets both directions, but locks out reverse and park. It also has a smaller cover, and not the big ugly cover box the Megashifter uses. The Quick Silver is a pretty good unit too, and also has reverse lockout.

27. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I think it's missing some pieces it seems to shift and go thru the gears. Fine, but like I was saying it won't adjust the full throw I can either get it to go all the way one direction I.e to first gear, but won't engage into park. Or vice versa. And if I get it to go to park, then it is indicating that 2nd is drive and 3rd is nuetral.. I have messed with it for 2 days I also slotted holes in the cable bracket to try to get more adjustments no luck. I'm gonna spend some more time on it tomorrow and see if I can figure out a solution.

28. jeffbr33

jeffbr33
    from norwich,ct

hi irs30,if you buy cheaters go to towel city,i bought hurst and had a hell of a time balancing them,they sent me a weight patch that helped but does not change the fact that its like the shape of an egg,they came apart and I called them,they gave me a deal on another set and guess what,13 oz off like an egg that's over 900 bucks for 4000 miles not good,then they said they would send 2 weight patches and never sent them,they can deal with the credit card co now

29. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thanks for the tip man, I had already talk to TowelCity and settled on purchasing mine they them. I gotta get my shifter figured out first. No since in having it look good if it isn't drivable, ya know what I mean... It's not far off but still have some bugs to work out on this bitch!

30. jeffbr33

jeffbr33
    from norwich,ct

there only a bitch when they don't do what there suppose to,i think you did the right thing with going with towel city,i don't see bad stuff about them,the car looks good