Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects can a corvair be cool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49styleline, Sep 21, 2013.

1. olds vroom

olds vroom

2. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Corvairs are cool even with no modifications. Don't you turn your head and look when you see one driving down the street?

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

IMO Hell yes.
    I had a few keep a full tank of gas and a 2 cocrete blocks in the trunk and thay handle pretty good.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

I remember one in a hot rod mag. with a crown kit and they bolted suitcases together and cut the bottom out of them for and engine cover.

5. You could get a spyder with a paxton turbo. Do the old style body (square) use post '62 front suspension, give it a proper drop (hard to do but it can be done) and drive it like you stole it.

The square bodies lend themselves well to panel paint or a fade and dropped they corner like they are on rails. The Paxton has an adjustable waste gate (mechanical totally old school) so you can keep your boost low for pump gas and dial it up for strip time. The turbo engine was more then enough to push the little car around.

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The early 4 doors are so ugly they are extremely cool, Ive always wanted to put one on a diffrent, more dependable front engine running gear. I like anything old but honestly the stock 2 door ones dont interest me much, other than their bucket seats.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  7. I never cared for the sedan looking 'Vair myself but I do understand where you are comming from.

The 'Vair engine can be made as dependable as you want it to be. The problem with them as they came was they were mass priduced by a company that was trying to learn to mass produce an air cooled engine. They were getting it down by the time that Nader made his first fortune by whining about things.

Any old Corvair that you buy is going to need some attention anyway. The only real down side to he engine is that it leaked everywhere. If you use old motor cycle metality with them you can cure that. You make sure that all your mating surfaces are good. Stud mount everything and use good gasket sealer or gasket maker everywhere that you have a mating surface.

Back when th 'vaire were new the OL' Man used to split the cases and lap them on glass with jewlers ruge, just like we used to do with limey crank cases to keep them from leaking. Its work but no more than what we do with old trashed flatheads.

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I had a '63 Spyder coupe; with a turbo and a 4 speed, they were fun to drive.

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

...and as far as oil leaks go, modern gasket technology has pretty much taken care of that.

10. Yep there ya go. ^^^

I have a pretty funny story about a 'vair van that a friend had in the '70s but it is way off base other then it is a pretty funny story.

11. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379994623.954402.jpg
    i think I may have answered my own question..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

I'm running 4 of the the early style all stockers ,they get lots of favorable comments and attention. A few tasteful mods and they can be very atractive. Personably I like them in stock form. 62 coupe,62 Rampside PU, 63 convert,and 63 Spyder coupe. Quite reliable and fun to drive. Still need to add a wagon to my collection.

13. TUCKERBOY

TUCKERBOY

I think vairs are cool I've owned my share , a set of push rod tube o rings will just about always cure the oil leak . I like the early models and vans myself.

Attached Files:

14. these cars you do not see very often. and when you do, you say its cool

me, i have not seen one in some time now .... wouldnt mind seeing more on the road tho

15. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Nice van. I like your wheels I will use wheels simular to those if I get a vair.

16. tankwilson

tankwilson

I got a 60's wagon at the junk yard bout to be crushed. Has lots of good parts if anyone is looking