Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Ford grill shell to radiator mounting

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bantam, Sep 16, 2013.

1. bantam

bantam

I have an original 1932 Ford Grill shell and a walker radiator set up for a SBC. The brackets on the sides of the radiator appear to be in the right place vertically for mounting a 1932 shell, but there is about a 2" gap between the brackets on the sides of the radiator and the grill shell. In other words, the grill shell is two inches wider on each side than the radiator mounting brackets. What is used to fill that open space? Can someone take some pictures of how they mounted their 1932 shell to their aftermarket radiator?

Apologize for the stupid question.....but I don't know the answer and the build threads I looked at don't clearly show me the answer.

Sorry I didn't take pictures of my exact situation. I can take some later if that will help you understand the question better.

Thanks in advance,

Bantam

2. olskool34

olskool34

Can you bend the brackets out to meet the shell?

3. bantam

bantam

I cannot bend the brackets out that far. I could get may 1/2-3/4", but not the full distance.

4. olskool34

olskool34

Stupid question but has your shell been bowed out? Can you push it in and meet the brackets? Is the radiator specifically for a 32 shell?

5. bantam

bantam

Radiator was purchased to fit a 32 shell, maybe I was sent the wrong one???? As uilds go, the radiator was purchased a long time ago and has been sitting and waiting so i am sure returning is not a great option any longer. Weird thing is that the holes in the radiator brackets seem to match the shell just 2" too narrow on each side. The two holes on the top bracket of the radiator match the two holes in the top of the grill shell.

I don't see where the hell is bowed out, but possible. I will take a hard look at that. Can someone provide the width of the back side of a 32 shell about half way up from the bottom? So, how wide across the back at about the middle of the shell?

thanks,

Bantam

6. bantam

bantam

Man, I need to slow down and spell check. Apologies for spelling errors. Although right now the 32 shell is feeling alot like a 32 "hell". As in, oh hell, why doesn't this fit?

Bantam

7. olskool34

olskool34

snap some pics if you can, that way we can see what is really going on.

8. I have an original shell with a walker built for a SBC. The lower brackets are 20 inches apart. I am concerned why you want the dimension at the the middle of the shell, the lower brackets are about 3.5 inches from the bottom. Since you asked, the shell is 20 5/8 at the middle (where the headlight conduits go into the shell). We need some pictures.

Charlie Stephens

9. Pinewood

Pinewood

You just need to form some pieces out of aluminum like a 'Z'. That will allow you to span the gap between the shell and the radiator and align the holes from top to bottom. Sorry I don't have a better picture right now but you can kind of see the one at the bottom in this picture from my coupe.

[​IMG]

10. Pinewood

Pinewood

Here we go, I know I had a better picture.

[​IMG]

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Just to add to the pile, I made brackets that the rad bolts to, then the shell bolts to as well.

[​IMG]

12. Pictures sure would help us help you,is the shell steel or glass?is it a commercial or passenger shell?are you sure it's a Deuce radiator?

I've built quiet a few Deuces and never experienced this problem. HRP

13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slightly OT , but how does the filler cap hole line up with the radiator neck? We have a repro steel shell that the filler neck hole is at least 3/8 or more off set to the side even when compared to the hood hinge bracket!!!

14. I don't know spit about Deuces, but the OP's description made me think of how 33/34 truck grilles are mounted to the radiator... (see attached image)

Are you sure all parts are gen-u-ine 32?

Attached Files:

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Don't worry about it. I've done several dozen Walker deuce radiators with both gennie and after market shells most of the time the shell is spread a little wide and just needs to pulled to the brackets. DON'T bend the brackets welded to the side of the radiator. Unless you have the wrong radiator or some thing went desperately wrong in the manufacture I have found the Walker deuce radiators to be right on.

16. john walker

john walker

mine fits perfect. you're bowed out.

17. jlibert

jlibert
    from fresno

I've seen guys run springs between the bracket and the shell. Not exactly correct, but I guess it would work better than a stack of washers.

18. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

I use spacers about 1/2 inch thick made out of round aluminum or nylon whatever i have laying around. then pull the shell into that. I find it helps with hood side alignment.

19. 3 days and no response? HRP

20. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Bantam, I just measured a NOS Deuce shell I have hanging on my garage wall. The top mounting holes are 19" and the bottom holes are 20" side to side. Are you sure the radiator is '32 and not Model "A". I am using the exact set up as you, Walker rad and stock shell and it fit like Henry made both.

21. Bantam,

There have been 20 posts and we still need a picture. Be sure to set the camera on the lowest resolution and the pictures should post just fine. I keep thinking there is something that is being overlooked and the pictures will tell.

Charlie Stephens

22. bantam

bantam

Sorry guys - had to unexpectedly travel to Charlotte on business. Not back in town until late tomorrow night. Will get some pictures up on Saturday. Appreciate all your help and suggestions in the mean time.

23. bantam

bantam

Ok guys, sorry for the delay. Back from Charlotte and posting some pics. As shown in the pics the radiator is 17 1/2" wide and the radiator shell is about 22" wide. The brackets on the side of the radiator only make the radiator about 18 /12" wide. Leaving 3 1/2" between the side of the grill shell and the mounting brackets. Not clear why that much of a gap. Do I need additional brackets that connect the radiator to the grill shell? Wrong radiator?

My grill shell width measurement is wider than what woodiewagon46 said. His grill shell is only 20" wide. Maybe mine is bowed out? It could be because somewhere in its past the bottom of the shell was cut off so I am missing it. Which is ok because that's what I needed for my build, but maybe allowed shell to bow out?

Last question, how about the depth of the radiator into the shell? See the picture I took of the top of the radiator and grill shell. See how the radiator protrudes out about 1/2 from the back of the grill shell. Does that look ok to you or should it tuck into the shell more? There is room for it to tuck in but the bracket holes will no longer align with the shell. In the picture the bracket holes and the shell holes are aligned.

Bantam

Attached Files:

24. Not sure what grille shell you have, but it doesn't look like any 32 Ford shell I've ever seen.

Mick

25. bantam

bantam

Then what is it? Better pics attached.

Attached Files:

26. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

33 Pickup shell

27. bantam

bantam

Great, thanks for answer 296 V8. So, is it safe to assume the pickup shell is wider than the 32 shell by a couple of inches?

28. Not a '32 shell,I think what you have is a 33 truck with the insert cut out,,they are wider than a '32. HRP

29. Christom

Christom

Yep - that's what it is I'd say too....:eek:

30. I'd like to bring up my original post from last month... See the original post for the picture attached. :rolleyes:

big duece likes this.