Register now to get rid of these ads!

Options for glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Sep 15, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I need a windshield and back glass for my Bantam truck, both flat. I have no idea what originally went in there. I suppose I start with a cardboard template. Should it be smaller than the opening to allow for a rubber gasket, or should the glass sit in front of or behind the flange? Is there a standard thickness and type of glass to use? What about tint? Will a glass shop have flat stock that they can cut to my template? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. Thin plywood or Masonite would make for a better pattern material,,it would be best to get your rubber to measure the thickness to determine how to cut your pattern material.

Try installing the pattern before cutting the glass,,easier to trim it than the glass.

All automotive glass shops will have flat glass. HRP

3. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

when I had my glass cut for my A the guy made the glass to fit my frame which I took in to him.

4. When I had glass cut for my '46, the shop did it from patterns that they still had. Find an older shop...

Cosmo

5. cryobug

cryobug

You need to contact ChrisBlattie in the The H.A.M.B. O'Dex. He delivers the best glass I have ever used. He was cheaper than my local glass guy freight and all. He might have the pattern for your car.

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. Windshield should be standard dimensions, back has been opened up. I'll check with Chris for a pattern, and great advice on using plywood for test fit HRP.

7. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Cryobug is right. Chris Blattie did both of my Bantam windshields from a cardboard patternn of the opening, and they are perfect. Great guy great prices, top quality.

8. waterhorse

waterhorse

Just be sure to let the glass guy know it is for a windshield so that you get AS-1 laminated. You can also get that type of flat windshield glass with the top area tinted if you want that feature. Side and back glass will be AS-2 which is a different type.

9. ChrisBlattie

ChrisBlattie
    from Montana

Howdy Pard, if you can trace me the opening of the windshield frame i can cut you one for 135 delivered. I still have Greg's pattern but it doesnt look the same as your truck.

10. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

that's a pretty good deal. i just had a local glass place cut my side and back glass for my studebaker. all flat glass. they said if i just traced the rear window opening they could cut the glass 5/16 smaller than the pattern. for 5 pieces of tinted, tempered glass, and instillation of mu tracks and trim it turned out to be $203.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Cheap Luan plywood paneling makes good patterns, easy to cut and sand to shape, it is the right thickness and doesn't bend.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER