Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who got you into this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by proartguy, Sep 12, 2013.

1. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Our high school library had three books by Henry Felsen---Hotrod, Street Rod and Crash Club (I think that's it). I read them over and over and really got the bug. 1958-1960.

2. I have a copy of "Hot Rod" by Henry Felsen in my collection of stuff.....pretty good story, by the way.:cool:

3. hoodprop

hoodprop

4. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

Two buddies in high school. Jim Langan (Renault sand dragsters) and Bob Netzeband (first v8 powered Datsun pickup in the neighborhood, 1973).

5. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

Back around 1975 my mum was kind enough to take me along to the movies to see 'The Sidecar Racers'. I would have been 13yo at the time and was the proud owner of a Honda SL70, not so much into cars at that stage. As luck would have it the other movie on that night was American Graffiti. I'm now on my 5th 55 Chevy and still get a shiver up my spine every time I see Falfa run that red light!
    Thanks Mum, and R.I.P.

6. My great grandad was a drover. Rollin' is in the blood. Our uncles were into sano restorations on fine motorcycles (still are). That further set wheels rolling. Then my young brother got pally at school with a hot rod family, as did I. Brothers who were into hot- rodding. We'd down school books, walk home and swing chain blocks.

7. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

As you all will find out I'm not that old the two cars that stand out in my mind why I got into cars were owned by, the first was my friends dad it was a 77 trans am (s.e. bandet car) and the second was a 73 charger owned by a police officer we knew growing up blown 440 hanging out the hood, I know I know there not hamb cars well I used to hang out with this older guy he had a 33 3 window that I fell in love with so I started looking into other old cars to see if there was anything I could afford that looked as good so since then I pritty much want everything I can get, there all good looking in there own ways and I thank every older guy who has ever stoped to speek with me about his car or any car in general (you learn a lot that way)

8. ChefMike

ChefMike

I got interested in cars when I spent a summer working at a golf course and took care of the golf carts, this was before they went electric - I worked for a guy called Gates and he showed me how to break a small engine down and put it all back togethere, that was it I was hooked and ended up working there for the next 10 summers taking care of the carts and grass cutting mowers

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd say I brought this shit all upon myself with no outside influences...

10. High5

High5

Not who. But what.

It was 1954 and I was visiting a friend. This '40 Ford coupe pulled into the driveway of the neighbor. I still remember how that car looked. It was done in primer, California rake, red steel wheels with wide whites, no hood, straight pipes with scavenger tips below the rear axle. This thing was drop dead cool. At the tender age of 3, I really had no idea what I was looking at. But it sure made an impression. It wasn't long after that, my mom and I were at the local grocery store and that's when I saw my first issue of "Hot Rod" magazine. And that did it. I was hooked.

11. indianhead74

indianhead74

Rod & Custom magazine 1968. I bought it with lawn mowing money . Went to Peoria in '70 after they printed "All roads lead to Peoria" for the Nationals. Indy

12. LAROKE

LAROKE

AMT got me on the hook and the Beach Boys with Little Deuce Coupe reeled me in.

13. BucketHeadBart

BucketHeadBart
    from illinois

It was the mid 60's, I was 8 yo.
    Neighbor right across street had a Dodge Dart he raced at Dragway 42 and Thompson Dragway in Ohio.
    That was the beginning for me.

14. My father, although it wasn't on purpose. I've always been fascinated by all things mechanical but cars were always at the top of the list, and my mother had pics of me hanging over the fender of their '48 Frasier when my Dad worked on it (which I was told later was a POS; my Dad hated that car and stopped doing his own work after that one... LOL). My first recognizable drawing wasn't mom, dad but of a car. I custom-painted my pedal car (with a brush, and got in trouble for getting into the paint unsupervised; I still remember that whoopin'...) at 5. When I reached my teens, I became the repairman on the family cars, although not without some trepidation on my parents part. Interestingly enough, I got my 'need for speed' from my mother; she had a very heavy right foot and through some miracle never had an accident or got a moving violation. A very good 'natural' driver, although little mechanical ability; she did tend to beat the snot out of stuff... LOL.

I guess my 'mentor' was the car mags. I loved devouring the tech articles, even if I didn't fully understand them. If it had wheels and a motor, I was interested...

15. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Actually it was 2 people. They both influenced me at the same time. The first one was Burlin "Doc" Eddleman. He was the best flat head mechanic/engine builder in the 50s. Ralph Earnhardt Dale Earnhardt's daddy worked for Mr. Eddleman before going out on his own. The rest is NASCAR history. The next influence was my uncle Charles Fink. He always has the cleanest shoebox Fords around. I was fortunate to spend a lot of my growing up years at Doc's garage and my uncle Charles service station in Kannapolis NC. A lot of memories and good influence during that time in my life......................

16. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

17. hipster

hipster

Dad and his hot self-built 327 stuffed in an old toyota land cruiser. A true go any where and fast rig.

18. No body really, I just started messing around with any thing with an engine.

19. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

There were, they just didn't cut much hair back then.

20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After the war my Dad had a black 41 Ford convert that he had bought before enlisting in 41. It had dual carbs and loud duals and was really cool. He was always working on tractors and I was always around. Then about 52 or 53 both of my cousins had 50 Fords with loaded flatheads and my uncle had a really neat 39 chevy coupe with a 270 Jimmy and they used to take me cruising with them and an occasional drag race as well. It just progressed from there I guess--71 now and still playing with this stuff.