Register now to get rid of these ads!

Still got your first "Hot Rod" mag.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tatersgravy, Jan 15, 2011.

1. squirrel

squirrel

yup, july 73, the annual vette issue of Hot Rod. Missing the cover...not much to look at now...but I memorized it when I was 12

2. Yep, Hot Rod, November of 1961.Its worn out,but put away in storage with all the rest since then.

3. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Still have the first magazine I bought - the May 1961 edition of Rod & Custom. Its missing the cover but otherwise still intact. I was nine years old when I bought it.

5. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

I would love to share my first rod mag "rolls and pleats" but my dumb ass ex wife left them in the san Jose train station......

6. squirrel

squirrel

I have that issue of Hot Rod mag now...mostly because that's the month I was born :)

7. tatersgravy

tatersgravy
    from midwest

This is probably one of my all time favorite issues as it covers a period in time when the aftermarket industry was at its peak! "Baldwin Motion" has several upgrades in this issue. Those were exciting times indeed!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  8. When I saw this thread I knew I still had that small magazine that my dad bought me at Bryant's Corner drug store here in Anderson,S.C.

I was driving him crazy talking on and on about what I had seen the night before when he had taken me to the indoor car show in Greenville,South Carolina.

He bought me the magazine on the condition that I read it and shut up!

[​IMG]

My dad would have never spent the money to attend anything like that but a neighbor that worked at the Ford Dealership gave him two tickets at the last minute and my mom and little sister were not home,,so he ask me if I would like to go,,,

They had some new cars that dad liked but could never afford but that's when I fell in love with hot rods,,bright lights reflected in the paint and chrome,,the displays,the angel hair,the chrome oil,gas and water cans within the displays.

We didn't have a camera so there are no images except the ones imprinted on my brain,,and I can still visualize a couple of the cars some 50 years later.

It was heaven for a 10 year old kid and a obsession for old cars that was injected into my blood that very night,,dad had no idea the monster he created but I'm happy he did.HRP

9. Damelot85

Damelot85

Mine were all my Dad's, which ended up dissapearing in constant moving as a kid. Good memories though.

10. i don't have my first magazine...but i have my dad's hot rod and the magazine's that it was in in the early sixties.

11. Still have somewhere in the boxes I need to sort and catalogue.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

12. tatersgravy

tatersgravy
    from midwest

Ole "Grumpy" sure knew how to bring them Chevys to life!

13. dr john

dr john
    BANNED
    from CSA

Yes - the December 64 issue of Hot Rod. First car mag I bought with my own allowance right before I turned 5. Like many, theres a lot of photos cut out of it, but I still have the magazine itself. Along with hundreds of others...

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

In 1957 I was 13 years old and in the hospital with a severe infection and my dad brought me the November issue of Rod & Custom which featured 32 Fords. I still have that magazine in excellent shape in a display case. Little did he know what he started!

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! DAMNIT!

But this one was the first one delivered to ME by subscription, when I was 10.
    I've since replaced it with another one.

[​IMG]

By the time I was 11, in 1962, I was subscribing to "Hot Rpd", "Rod & Custom", "Car Craft" and a little while later, "Drag News" newspaper and "Popular Hot Rodding"
    How cool is that?
    I had each and every one of them all on a bookshelf until 1970, when I moved out. There were hundreds.....all gone..... :mad::eek:
    So, I've been replacing them as the last few years have gone by.

A few years ago, I bought the "Hot Rod" from my birth month just to make me feel really old and crappy....:)

September, 1950

[​IMG]

16. fitzee

fitzee

Still have it as well as ever other mag. I ever had. There were only a few issues of it.Rod Power it was called.It was some time in the early 80`s Not the best mag ever but it influence me big time.I started buying ever hot rod mag I could find. my favorites were 1001 Custom and Rod Ideas and Rod Action.

17. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I vividly remember the first car mag I ever bought with my own money. It was around 1974 (?) and was an issue of Hot Rod mag with Jimmy Oskie sliding sideways in Blair's Speed Shop, USAC (non-winged) sprint car. I felt like a true grown up plopping that down on the counter rather than the comic books other kids my age were reading. I must've read and re-read that issue a million times and yes I still have it somewhere.

18. das858

das858

Yes, it's the August 1969 Hot Rod , the lady cashier even complemented me at the time for buying it.

19. 59ab

59ab

Bought my first Hot Rod Magazine with my lunch money in 1952. It is very fragile now but I still have it.

20. johnny_rocket88

johnny_rocket88

I collect ol skool rodz I have and will have every issue

21. SimonSez

SimonSez

Yep, January 1974 New Zealand Hot Rod mag.

It's missing the posters that I cut out and put on my wall but I kept the original copy even after I got a mint one for my collection later on.

Attached Files:

22. Yep, I still have my first magazine, September, 57' Hot Rod given to me by my metal shop teacher when I was in seventh grade. The coolest part was that in it one of our local heroes had a picture of his 40' Ford convertible, green with flames and a built flathead, in the letters to the editor page.

23. Jiminy

Jiminy

Yep. Mine is a bit more worn than this image.
    [​IMG]

24. Sold all of my Hot Rod's and kept the ones that keep me up to date on traditional kustomizing....

Attached Files:

25. Old thread but still interesting. I still have the first Hot Rod mag I bought back in 1961. The cover is pretty much shredded and its dog eared from so much looking through the years though. I actually still have every car mag I ever bought. Stored in various trunks in various places. Really ought to get rid of them................nah.

26. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Yep, I started buying them in the late 1950's and have four or five large boxes full of various different car magazines from then to the early 1970's in storage. Guess I should get them out sometime.

27. This was my first and I have every one since, plus many, many more.

Attached Files:

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, but I tore all the color pics out, and stuck 'em on my wall :eek::rolleyes:. Hey, gimme a break, I was seven... I've since bought an intact replacement, but I kept the original. What can I say, I'm a sentimental ol' fool...

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

29. A Boner

A Boner

Yup, a buddy's older gave me a box of early 50's Hot Rod magazines. That was when the collecting began, probably 1956 or 7.

30. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My first mag was the Sept 57 R&C, Mom got it for me at the IGA as a reward to get me to quit bitching about having to start 1st grade. I now have the complete set of R&C plus the whole attic of my garage full. I even sent 3 foot lockers full of car mags home from Germany when i was in the service! Yes, it 's a sickness, my kids will have a hell of a bunch of junk to clear out when I kick off!!