Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Looking good, Matt

2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then, later that day around 6:35 pm, HE created the SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ! ! ! THEN, and only then, did HE rest !

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somewhere or some way, it would be good if you could lay a line of strip caulking in there on one side of the welting. It's been a long time since I set a 30-31 tank so I can't say which side would be easiest, cab or tank. 3M makes a nice strip caulk that's easy to work with. Just sayin...

4. Did some cleaning on this late last night.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

5. Tough choices there.

6. I think the decision has been made for me... I am 99% sure the Winfield intake I have is a downdraft. The carb that was on it is a Winfield updraft setup as a downdraft, which won't work like that and all my other Winfields are updraft as well. So I 99% positive that the Thomas 2x2 will get the go ahead.

7. Really enjoying this build. My dad has a 31 wide bed also, they're really neat trucks.
    There seems to be a few of us on this same path to "screw up" our stock A's here lately. I wish I had Winfield $ but for now I'll just keep streching my beer budget as far as I can with a B carb and head this winter with any luck

8. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

What a nice truck :)

9. A lot of guys always ask me how I can afford all the expensive parts I buy. The truth is if I had to pay retail on the winfield stuff I couldn't afford it either...this stuff is all out there for anyone to buy. You just gotta be the guy to find them. I found the Winfield stuff on craigslist all for $500 bucks. You just gotta be diligent..

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  10. Oh I'm diligent and come up with great deals. I just never find deal on stuff that says Winfield or Simmons or Kong or... You know. I do love that truck though. I think your doing a great service to it. Keep it up:)

11. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

I thought I read somewhere that you could convert the Winfields from up to down with certain parts??? But I could very well be mistaken!!!!!!

12. Anyone know anything about vacuum fuel pumps? Would they work with a downdraft winfield?

13. I use one on my briggs lol. It worked great of the race yesterday lol

Posted from my phone on the road looking for cool stuff

14. Are you talking about the 2 stoke fuel pumps that operate on the vacuum pulse. I was referring to stewart warner vacuum fuel pumps that use engine vacuum to fill a reservoir that then gravity feeds the carb.

15. yes, i was making a joke:)
    it did pump 110 octane all day thou (24mm mikuni)
    tk

16. I had a lot of time to day dream yesterday. I wanted to put in writing my general thoughts on this build, the future and the direction I plan to take it.

I have read a lot of talk by guys like Gary Addcox, guys who's opinions of the older drivetrains is pretty poor(350 lovers), or Guys that say it's to hard or near impossible to build a almost 100% period car. Or that a Toyota 22RE is needed to drive one of these daily.

I think that's all bullshit and I'm here to prove it, at least to myself. I have been, and when back on the road, will continue, to Drive this thing daily like I stole it.

That means I am going to do a little bit more on this thing than originally planned with the hopes that a little longer downtime now will mean less later on.

My build intentions

As of right now I consider this build post-war. Always have I guess. Even though you wouldn't have seen a lot of trucks built in the late 40's early 50's and most would have been rpu's. That doesn't really matter to me. I need a truck. So it fits.

My whole day dream centers around the thought that before the war you had a roadster or maybe a coupe if you lived in Seattle. Banger powered of course. After your return home and many years spent daydreaming of flathead v8's you take your car apart for a transplant, maybe that car is slated for a 32 frame. Maybe it IS a 32 with a b motor. Who knows! We'll save that dream for another time.

So you build that car..... (note: I am collecting parts for something but will save that for future threads.).....what are you to do with all these old banger parts after you are done? Put them on the old pickup of course! Things really come together with that time line if you think about how this thing is fitting together parts wise. The Super Winfield head was made sometime after the war. So while it wouldn't have been on my theoretical "other car". It would have been available, perhaps to replace whatever it had. Also I am on the lookout for a Autopulse fuel pump to run with a downdraft Winfield carb. I've found advertisements for the 500 model from 1945-1948. I found a picture of a earlier 200 model that I believe was the one mentioned in a 1927 Dykes fuel system repair manual. So a electric fuel pump is certainly conceivable to have used.

That leads me to start thinking about some of the other aspects of this truck. Which has me thinking of making some changes. One of them is to change out the front tires on this thing. The reason I run them is I had them, and while that line of thinking is "period correct" that certainly doesn't make it so. I'm considering using 17's all around. or sticking with the stagger and stepping up to 6.00x16 tires. or even going to 16 inches all around. I'm not sure yet. Any input appreciated.

I did also recently acquire a f100 box with thoughts of modifying it for bolt in use like the Fordbarn guys do. But I just can't bring myself to do it. It might steer better, but I honestly don't find it that bad and it wouldn't be authentic. So I am going to rebuild the stocker.

Which gets me to where I am going.

I pledge to build this truck as 100% close to "period correct or traditional" as I can. I am giving myself a target period of 1946-1948-1952 as I am a little unsure of when the head was exactly produced, and I feel it is the part most likely to date the truck to a period.

When I am done I am going to drive this thing everywhere....Like I stole it. Spreading the Gospel.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    brEad and J.Ukrop like this.
  17. I think this is a really cool idea. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thoughts of year or era rods. Kind of like what would you do if it was 48 all over again. You've gone late enough so you can include stuff like juice brakes and other modern stuff. My grandfather graduated from high school in 38 and was a certifiable 30's hoodlum and racer so that's the year I'm striving for with my coupe. I think it's a bit more limiting but why not right?
    I also agree there is no reason they can't be driven every day, as long as you keep up on the maintenance end of things. Remember these are high maintenance cars. Lots of grease zerks to hit every 500 miles with your oil change. I mean these cars were driven everyday until after WWII I'm sure. Why not continue the tradition.

I feel like I'm starting to ramble here but I applaud you for having the nads and determination to drive your A. Too many of these cars just sit. Great build keep it up.

18. My friend and mechanic used to work at a tractor dealer, where one of the customers still drove his '30 A Tudor as his daily driver long up in the 1980's. Guess it was stock, but still... If it is driveable after 50 years, another 50 shouldn't hurt it, if kept in good shape!

And if we didn't get rain and snow in the fall and winter, I would drive mine much longer!

19. 1lowtrk

1lowtrk

I have been watching this thread as im hoping to take my little truck in the same direction.As far as a Stewart vacume tank style fuel pump I run one on my Hudson. You will have the same issue with height but it would be an excellent place to hide an electric fuel pump.

20. 1lowtrk

1lowtrk

The top connections are your vacume inlet, fuel inlet,wiper outlet.Fuel outlet is at the bottom.You can see being so tall it would give no advantage.

Attached Files:

21. Crack free.

Attached Files:

22. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

cool!

23. I think 17's look great on about any early style car...never cared for 16" wires much. Hey, you did ask :D

24. Sorry, meant to say steelies. If I go to 16's all the way around it will be solid's and if I keep the wires it will be 17's all the way around....I really like they way they look on your dads truck.

25. Me too! I love 17" wires

[​IMG]

26. Paint.

Attached Files:

27. Looks good!! You should paint the lettering a different color to help it stand out, and make you look even cooler!!

28. racer32

racer32

29. Like this?

Attached Files:

30. Looks great. I'm very jealous.