Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 28-29 roadster pickup questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mtd, Sep 15, 2013.

1. mtd

mtd
    from FL

I am building a28-28 roadster pickup with original cowl and doors. Couple of questions

1- is there a good reference as to what body prts I need to complete? Drawings diagrams etc?

2- thinking of going with the extended cab version (6'1",250) or is there enough room in a stock style ?

Thanks for any input

PS it will be fenderless powered by model A engine with some mods

2. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

I got a 29 RPU with stock body.
    Its tight inside and not much room but i Think a extended cab could look strange if you extend it to much.
    Doing drawings aint a bad idea,a inch or two makes alot of difference in space.

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Take a look at Brookville's catalog to get an idea of what parts you'll need to complete the body.

4. mtd

mtd
    from FL

Any other input on stock vs extended cab?
    Thanks

5. My brother in law has a stone stock '28 roadster pickup,,I'm 6'4" and weigh less than you,,I can't squeeze my big arse in it,,,you'll probably have to extend the cab to have any sort of comfortable ride. HRP

6. I will mirror what HRP said. I have a stock 28 RPU and I weigh 180 and 5' 9". I can barely get in mine but it takes me and my son and a tub of lard to get me back out again. Maybe if you put a really shallow seat in it you would be ok.

7. brandon

brandon

ive got a extended cab Brookville 28 body at bob Hiltons being assembled. im not a 100% on board with the look of the look of the extra inches Brookville added , its a wait and see how it looks after its assembled. its going on a 32 style chassis and will have a bobbed bed...gotta do some drawings to see if its going to be alright or will need 3 or 4" taken off....as its twice as long as a stock rear section....

8. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

I had a stock 28 RPU that i drove last year before stripping it down to install the flathead and drop it a few inches. I'm 5'10" 165 I seem to fit just fine but your height might be an issue. The quarter panels look EXTREMELY long when they are off the truck and beside a stock one...personally I don't care for the short beds on trucks. If one would stretch the frame,splash aprons, and running boards use the extended cab and full length bed I think would look pretty nice. Just my .02 cents

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

heres mine lengthened 4 inches

Attached Files:

LCGarage likes this.
  10. F&J

F&J

Body builders take everything into the mix when styling comes in.

If a designer has to work with a visual "flaw", he tries to diguise it or fool the eye.

Color is very important, darkest vs. light, has a big impact on a stretch.

Also the length of bed, if it has fenders or not, wheelbase or where the rear wheel will be, etc

Mock up of wood panels would be easy seeing that you have cowl and doors. If you can mock the body up to ride height, with a seat cushion and backrest, to test getting in/out, then try to keep the stretch to a (minimum) decent look.

edit; depending on skills and workload, making part of the stretch in the doors as well as the rear piece can help. In other words, not too much on either panel, might fool the eye better.

11. brandon

brandon

this truck cab can get all out of wack "visually" in a hurry....proper stance, tire and wheel, and the prementioned bed length all come into play...

12. Squablow

Squablow

I agree, stretch the rear panels more than a couple inches and they start to resemble a cut-up sedan body instead of an RPU. If you're going for a 4" stretch, I'd say go two in the doors and two in the quarters. And a shortened bed is going to accentuate the longer body, a stock length (or at least, close to stock length) box will help.

13. JMKnight

JMKnight

Attached is a photo of my extended 1928 RPU. The cab was a Last Refuge 4 inch extended unit. The additional inches are well worth the effort. I extended the wheelbase of the frame an additional 4 inches so the rear axle lined up with the rear fender moldings. Sadly the car was totaled on 02/21/2013. I was rear ended on the way to the Salt Lake Autorama. Nut'n Fitz II will be finished for the 2014 show.

Attached Files:

LCGarage likes this.
  14. brandon

brandon

^^^^^ the wedge and the color that the pinkies truck ended up helped "eliminate" the door issue. the green Brookville would have a different look if it was as low as pinkies and a different color...

15. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The green one is a 30/31. The curved rear section of 30/31 allows for expanding the rear of the cab for more room without throwing off the lines. If you are running without fenders you could go the Pinkies route - a 29 style cowl with the 30/31 curved rear panel.

I am 5'11" and 200 lbs. I can fit in a RPU - but it is tight. I been in some that were too tight to drive and in others that were ok. None of the stock cabs is going to be roomy by modern standards, but there is some room to adapt. Column, seat and pedal placement is key and every inch gained will help.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  16. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like this approach. Your proportions look a lot better than the extended rear cab.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!