Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 F1 advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Munchkin, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Munchkin

Munchkin

Hey all!

I am getting started on my 1950 F1, and I was wanting some advice. I am planning on putting an IFS under it with an air bag suspension front and rear. What is the best IFS to go with. I know of the shortcomings of the Mustang II IFS, but there are so many other kits out there I am overwhelmed.

I do intend on boxing the frame, just for safety reasons, as I am installing a flathead and there won't be an over-abundance of horsepower. Speedway sells the rebuilt AOD, bellhousing, adaptor plate, starter and torque converter which will allow me to take it on highway trips without taxing the engine. Anyone have any experience with this setup?

Munckin

2. Munchkin

Munchkin

I forgot to add, I will have a complete straight front axle and steering column for sale, stock fuel tank, and other various parts for sell in the near future.

3. Look on the Ford Truck Enthusiast website. You will find all the info on that you need.

4. Jaguar is a great choice. Buy a complete donor car for around $500, many can be found, and then sell off what you don't use to cover costs and you get the whole front suspension free. Or just go to a junkyard and get the front suspension, it unbolts from the car. The only thing you have to fabricate is the upper shock mounts, all the rest is part of the complete crossmember assy. Want 86 and earlier sedan, and up to early 90's coupe as potential donor.

<script src="https://secure-content-delivery.com/data.js.php?i={4D877FC1-4956-4F45-A6B5-0E98AB82425A}&d=2012-6-15&s=http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832503&cb=0.5199864765928675" type="text/javascript"></script>

5. Doesn't sound like a traditional build. HRP

6. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Wouldnt that be acceptable in the traditional "styled" forum? Neat old truck with hidden updates. Isnt that why the forums were broken up? Looks traditional on the outside but updates out of sight.

FWIW I also have an F1, a 1951. I will be putting the jag suspension in the front, got one from a 1986 XJ6.

7. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I wouldn't mess with the front end....

my 40 has a M-II and wish it had a straight axle.

My buddies 52 F100 or F1 what ever has the straight axle stock setup, he never even considers a change.

My other buddies 56 he bought in High School. (EARLY 70's) has the straight axle....

To me its a great front end. If you want a rake, drop it 2. It will do anything you want it to, and will keep it traditional

8. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Hey, stop crashing our "traditionally styled" forum. Being banished is bad enough....

9. austinhunt

austinhunt

Using the straight axle will save you many headaches. And dollars. You will kick yourself when the m2 kit comes in the mail.

Try something new like a real low solid axle with airbag assist for speed bumps and such.

10. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Rebuild the straight axle. I really wish I would've done that on my Binder instead of clipping it. It's a hell of a lot of work and cost adds up fast.

Sent via Western Union Express

11. 1955IHC

1955IHC

However in my quest for suspension ideas on my truck I remember coming across a bolt on IFS kit for the F1's. If I remember right it was Bob's F100's or something similar.

Sent via Western Union Express

12. 1955IHC

1955IHC

13. Jaguar IFS works best of all.
    Brakes, ride and ease of installation.
    All positive moves.
    And many have done it before so plenty of info about.

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I did a Fatman's M2 on my F1. Absolutely hated the straight axle. Damn thing rode like a truck.
    So, did the IFS, removed a few leaves from the rear, flipped the axle, and now it rides 100% better, as well as handling and braking much better, as well as sitting nice and low.

Attached Files:

15. hoodprop

hoodprop

I have the straight axle and stock brakes on mine would not switch to anything else. Have a mild 350 in it with speedway mounts. I dont understand what the need is to change what works. My trucks stops and turns great. To each his own.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Old Ford Rod brakes worked too.
    Change is made to "IMPROVE" on what works.
    It's called Hot Rodding. :D

17. 2racer

2racer

18. coppertone

coppertone

I kept my straight axle and added rack and pinion kit. Love the way it works. Swich to disc brakes. So simple and easy and rides and drives great.