Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping an engine block......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lintmann, Sep 14, 2013.

1. lintmann

lintmann
    from calgary

I was wondering if anyone knows of a shipping company that will crate and ship an engine block?

I found a block that I'd like but the seller doesn't want to deal with shipping so basically the only way I can get it is if the shipper can some how deal with putting it on a pallet for him.

Any advice is appreciated

2. Normbc9

Normbc9

www.engineshipping.com They come out. construct a platform and protective container and then pick it up and get it to the destination.
    Normbc9

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

New car dealerships get replacement engines in crates.Big plastic tubs is more like it.
    Check with local dealers.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't take a hell of a lot of effort to scrounge up a pallet and strap an engine block to the pallet and take said engine block and pallet to the shipping dock.

Maybe the best idea is to post the town that the block you want is and see if there is a Hamber in that area who will offer to pick up the block, put it on a proper pallet and take it to the shipping dock for a few bucks.

It might be a good idea for you to check with the shipper that you plan to use an see what they want as far as pallet, crate or what not. No oil leaking out is a given but even though many will accept one strapped to a small pallet some want them crated. Their agent on the other end might even know someone who they trust that would pick up the block and get it ready to ship for a small fee.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I went to the grocery store who were more than happy to give me a pallet. And two big banana boxes. I cut the boxes , put the short block on the pallet. Put the boxes over the engine. Strapped it with two cheap ratchet straps and signed up for UShip. Guy came to the house. Was cheaper than a Common Carrier. Everything worked great.

6. earlymopar

earlymopar

I did the same thing that Rich & Mr48chev mentions, simple, free pallet, cardboard and some of that plastic banding strapping material with the "D"-rings. Quick, Easy, Cheap, Fast.

- EM

7. You might check with some of the Hamb haulers. HRP

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

The banding material and tool can be found at tool rental place, cheap !

4TTRUK

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That's a good idea. Wish I had known that.

10. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

'Just sold a 216" Chevy and all running gear. I got a strong, solid oak pallet, strapped everything to the pallet using metal strapping, screws & fender washers plus 4 400lb ratchet straps. Covered it with a poly tarp and taped the markings on it.

It was picked up Tuesday by Engines Direct Freight, LLC, 21616 N. Central Ave., Bldg 4, Phoenix AZ (800) 998-2100. Ask for David - very nice, helpful guy. (Tell him Gaither gave him his name & number.)

The buyer arranged for the freight so I don't know what it cost to ship from Chattanaooga, TN to Lareado TX.

Of course, there are other shippers specializing in shipping engines.

PS. I forgot to say, "Drain all fluids". That is a must.

Good luck

Gaither ('41 Chev)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  11. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

GM still uses wooden crates and pallets for engines ..transmissions come in the infamous black plastic box

12. lintmann

lintmann
    from calgary

Thanks guys, I'll pass on some of this info and hopefully he'll see that it's not a big deal.

13. jdubbya

jdubbya

Where is it at? there are quite a few guys on here that would be willing to help, if it was close to them.

14. lintmann

lintmann
    from calgary

It's just east of Green Bay Wisconsin. I don't know why he can't be bothered to ship it but that's the way it is. He said he would take it a short distance like to the Jefferson swap meet so I'm sure I could get him to take it to a frieght place in the city. This is turning into a real pain....

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I dealt with a guy like that once about 15 years ago. I offered him $10 an hour for his time putting it on a pallet and taking it to a shipper. He went for it. Cost me $20 as I remember. You might have to allow for inflation.

16. lintmann

lintmann
    from calgary

That's a good idea. I thought I did that by offering him his full asking price even though his asking price was obo..... I'll try your idea.

17. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

I thought east of Green Bay was in Lake Michigan somewhere... Might need a boat..

cb1

18. lintmann

lintmann
    from calgary

Close, His Zip Code is 54217.

19. turdytoo

turdytoo

If you ship as a core it should be cheaper. "Used auto parts for salvage only" class 70, I believe.