Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aces52, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aces52

aces52

I have a 1959 ford truck and i'm looking lower it How is the best way to go about it with not a lot of money ? Thanks, pics if you have them.:confused:

2. slammed

slammed

Pix of your truck. What is the size? Stock or modified? Wheel/tire combo, ect.

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Best option with NO MONEY is to pull the leaf springs, disassemble them, reverse the eyes in the main leaf (do a search there are some FANTASTIC threads here on it), pull a few leafs out of each pack, then clean, sand smooth, grease, then wrap 'em in cloth gaffing tape to keep the dirt out, reassemble and reinstall.

While you're at it now would be an excellent time to inspect the condition of the steering and brake components, replace anything faulty and adjust the steering box.

It will lower the truck a good 3" or so all around and should make it ride and steer so much better.

That's what did before putting an old '57 Chevy truck into daily driver service and it treated me very well for years.

Good luck and have fun.

4. ^^^ yep cheap and easy^^^

A spastic chimp on meth could pull this off, it works and is an excellent old school no buck way to get it lower.

5. Coyote13

Coyote13
    from Dallas, TX

Yup, do all that. If it still isn't enough, pick up a 3" drop axle from Sid, top quality stuff. For the rear you can put the axle on top of the leaf springs instead of under, but this may require c-notching your frame for clearance.

6. aces52

aces52

7. 5559

from tn

remove 1/4 of springs---if your spring has 8 leaves remove 2

8. aces52

aces52

9. Well, a spastic chimp on meth could certainly pull it apart but then it would probably just sit in his yard in pieces.:D

10. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

For the rear end when I drop them I take the front rear spring hanger knock the rivits out, flip it half a turn, move hanger to top of frame. Take grade 8 bolts and bolt it back to frame. Then reverse the main leaf eyes so it will bolt back to hanger. If you need it lower you can put longer shackles on the back. After you have done all this check your pinion angle to make sure it's correct and shim as needed. This should get you about a 5-1/2" drop and you don't have to C-notch frame or cut out bed floor for pumpkin clearance like you have to when flipping the rear end to top of springs.

www.droppedaxles.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.