Register now to get rid of these ads!

are manual transmissions noisy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peanut78, Sep 12, 2013.

1. peanut78

peanut78

I just swapped out my manual 3 speed for a Saginaw 4 speed. I ended up cutting a relatively large hole in the tunnel to fit the shifter bracket and give me some room to work with. When I took it for a test drive, I could hear what sounded like the gears meshing or maybe a chattering. No grinding. The car drove perfect. I had a bad vibration before, and it is all gone. Its shifts like butter and didn't jump out of gear. When I was driving, I put my hand on top of the trans and it wasn't hot nor did I feel any vibrations. I drove it like a granny and I drove it like I stole it. It performed great. While I was driving it, I laid a floor mat over the hole. I couldn't hear most of the sound anymore. Are manual transmissions generally noisy, but you don’t hear it because it’s under the floor?

2. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Yes they're noisy even when they're in great shape and working properly.

You should hear a heavy duty Saginaw 4 speed like a SM465 with the granny low gear used in pickups. They sound like they're gonna chew through the floorboard at you.

3. chubbie

chubbie

yes a manual trans has a mechanical sound to them. But, a saginaw 4 speed is a very smooth quiet trans. yep shift like butter and you can lay your hand on it. The last saginaw i had to put 1000 miles on it before it mellowed out. 20,000 miles on a used trans, and never threw a power shift?? I think i must be getting old

4. Any SM420 I had was also was noisy, but a happy sort of noisy.

Bob

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd disagree that ALL manual trans are noisy. I've found lots of old truck 4 speeds with noisy granny 1st gear. But many 4 speeds car trans are quiet, and don't make noise in any gear. (The M22 Muncie an exception!)
    I have a Super T10 in my car and it's quiet in every gear.

6. peanut78

peanut78

I don't know how many miles are on the trans. I know it hasn't been used recently. I had the side cover off and everything looks good, the bearings are tight and the gears arent worn or chipped. Even the synchros look good. I'm just gonna drive it and see if it quiets down a bit. Thanks for the info!

dave

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Put the floor cover back on, and enjoy..... Manuals tend to be noisier that the automatics, as said above. Should anything begin to show it's wear, you'll notice "something different".

4TTRUK

8. I had a Saginaw in my 50 chevy delivery. Grew more noisy and more noisy over time. I pulled it out, tore it down [Well, I did leave the reverse idler in the case] and checked it over with a magnifying glass....couldnt' find a thing wrong! Hmmm..slapped it back together with new bearings and it made the same noise!
    Pulled it apart again and this time I removed the reverse idler...it was chewed up bad from wear...no broken teeth or anything. I still have it in my tool box.
    Found another idler under the bench at my local Certified Transmission shop with the correct tooth-count and after installing it, the tranny was quiet as a church mouse.
    The reverse idler is always engaged in forward gears...gets a lotta wear.

9. I've got a m22 in my 67 gto. Noisy is a understatement.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did a 65 GTO for a guy that had an M22. Noisy? No, that was fuckin music...:cool:

11. TERPU

TERPU

Symphonies are all noisy of any kind, and supposed to be that way.

All the best,

Tim

12. Chuck R

Chuck R

There are a few things that make great automotive mechanical sounds:
    a quickchange
    a M22 Rock Crusher
    a blower
    a solid lifter cam

13. Chuck R

Chuck R

14. scrap metal 48