Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1951 Mercury Restoration Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jan 9, 2011.

1. With a blue and cream tuck n roll interior that would be an awesome look.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. There's a Merc on eBay right now with this interior. Imagine it with cream instead of white.... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377914576.115599.jpg

3. 110% agree.

I have grill parts sourced, could have them here by the end of the week!

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

What's neat is how the front whitewall visually extends and "rounds out"
    the white insert and the Buick stainless accentuates the blue.

5. Yeah that gives me ideas for sure...

Spent some free time today sanding down the rest of my moldings, I still have 2 to go and then I will start to paint etc..

[​IMG]

6. You want to step er' up a notch or three...? DO THIS^^^^^^! Looks Awesome!

7. It is 1956 Dodge truck grill parts. That is Oz Welch's Bad Apple Merc.

8. Yep, and I've sourced the parts. I might have 2 options, let's see what you guys think...

9. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. A grille is going to bring a big change to the look of your car.

10. Yeah things will happen, and I'll finish the last 2 garnish moldings tomorrow.

Hooked up with the Retarded Sparks CC today, went to a car show and took the long way home.....[​IMG]

11. This one and one last one, then can prime them.

[​IMG]

12. Did all the major sanding today (was still sanding after it got dark hehe)...

[​IMG]

I still need to do a little bit more sanding of some spots, and then trial fit them. Only one has an extra hole, which I will have welded up.

13. Grill parts ordered and on the way!!

I sure like my car.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Please move my thread to the custom section. :)

15. What did you decide on for the grill John?

16. RR496

RR496

Looks RAD John!

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It boggles my mind how far this car has come. I remember when it was that horrendous red with flames. This car looks incredible now. Keep up the good work.

18. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Who Had the Last Mercury in Pro Stock - Roy Hill or Harry Scribner ?

19. eightbanger

eightbanger

20. Grille = let me get one on the car and see if I like it... I have 2 ideas going right now.

The old look of the car...;

[​IMG]

21. Why go to all the trouble of making a new grill? Just slap that yellow and white beauty back in and you will be set.:D

22. And it fit so good too. :)

23. Ian, Rik, I'm feeling this. It would need to be pie cut (is that the right term) to take some out of the middle, and it would need be chromed of course. What do you think? I'm not the first to do this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Is that from a 54 Plymouth? I like it. It looks good. I wonder if it would look even better it it was 1 inch longer on each side. Pint it with some spray can silver paint to see how it would look if chromed. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

25. I like it John. Not sure what you mean by taking some out of the middle but I would be inclined to give it more v shape so it follows the line of the hood and grill surround better when looking down from the top.

26. 1954 - 1956 Dodge Pick-Up Grille.

Edit, yeah more of a V.

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

John, Another idea is to section a 1964-66 Mustang front bumper - maybe even two.
    That would give you an entirely 'smooth" look.

28. Hmm my bar 'shopped to chrome, maybe Oz used the top bar, or even sectioned it (we are not gonna section the bar I don't think we'd bother then).... Hmmmm

[​IMG]

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

John, For some reason your bar looks better in your car than in the green car - especially when it's chromed. The bar looks "lost" in the green car, but not in yours. Did you fatten it up when you " shopped" it?