Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rolla Vollstedt turned 95 today, his Birthday party was held at a Chinese restaurant in Beaverton last night. Ernie Martin and I showed up driving his #8 Track Roadster (he was nice enough to let me drive!), we parked out front, next to one of Rolla's Indy Cars. It was his #21 car that he campaigned in the 60's, it was restored and is owned by Michael McKinney from eastern Washington. This car was driven by some of the best drivers of that time, including Jimmy Clark, Cale Yarborough,George Folmer,Gordon Johncock and many more! Once we went inside and greeted Rolla, we had a fun time listening to stories from Janet Guthrie, Dick Simon and others, along with seeing people I hadn't seen for some time. Here are some pics!

Attached Files:

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Inside shots, #1 is Rolla, he is wearing one of the same hats that were given to all of us who attended, the 27 stands for one of the car numbers Rolla used through the years, and the 95 was for is age.#2 is Janet Guthrie signing a helmet for Rolla's Son Bruce, (who was a pretty fair Stock Car Racer in his own right!).#3 is Ernie and Janet, #4 is Dick Simon of Indy Car Fame, #5 Randy Francis (Track Roadster racer, and Ford Dealer) #6 John Feuz (Track Roadster owner and Indy pit crew member),#7 Ralph Young ( who worked for Rolla, and Jerry Hill as well as campaigned a "Daimler" powered Midget).

Attached Files:

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sounds like a lot of history in one room! Thanks for the great pictures Marty!

4. Wow! What a great gathering of...well, GREATS! Thanks Marty for sharing the experience!

5. rick finch

rick finch

Very, very cool Marty...:cool:

6. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Doesn't get any better than that Marty.
    Mike

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Alright, we are going back to Dragsters now!!
    Here on the HAMB, I met Bob McCabe, who was partnered with Cordy Jensen, they ran the "Bev's Steak House" AA/FD out of Eugene. I met Bob at the Lindsay Bros "Pileup", a Hotrod gathering held at their farm in Shedd last month. I was introduced to Bob by my old friend Paul Smith, Bob and I hit it off just great, talking about racing in the 60's.
    Bob mailed me these pics with information about the car they raced in 1965. The Chassis was built by Woody Gilmore at Race Car Engineering, they chose that builder because Warren , Coburn, And Miller out of Bakersfield were running a "Woody" Car and winning big races in California. The part that amazes me is the body on their car was built, by Foy Martin Sheet Metal in Springfield, that was a ventilation shop. This was the one and only dragster body they ever built, and it rivaled anything built in California, look at it, it's "Beautiful". The engine was built by "Columbia Racing Engines", and they couldn't have made better choices all the way.
    Photo #1- L to R, Don McCabe, Bob McCabe, Cordy Jensen, Roy Collins, Jim Kane. Cordy and Bob were partners in the car, Cordy was the driver, the others were the crew. Jim Kane was also the driver of the "Barker Motors" S/S Dodge, one of the hottest "Super Stockers" in the Northwest! #2 is Cordy "Smokin Em" at Pacific Raceways, in Kent,Wa. (1965) #3, taken at Kent, as well.

Attached Files:

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Second installment, #1, When they first built the car,(before the nose-piece was installed) they put Bob Haines behind the wheel. (Bob Was one of the top AA/FD drivers around) having driven for "Masters and Richter", and the "Northwind", he was "Shaking it down" at Bakersfield, so Cordy could take over. It looks like part of the timing lights under the front axle. #2, Is Cordy's first pass in the car at Puyallup.#3, is Cordy at Puyallup well! This car, along with the "Northwind", were 2 of my favorites back then, and probably was one of the factors that made me want to drive dragsters later in life! Maybe Bob will chime in with some of the times they ran. I remember hearing that at the Port Orford Dragstrip, there hadn't been a car approach 200 mph, Bob and Cordy loaded up, went down and ran 206 off the trailer. My kinda Guys !!!!!!

Attached Files:

9. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

There's something so mystical, magical and bitchin' about a FED with either a body or wing over the front axle. Even more so when they're local. Thanks Marty

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's a great picture of Bob getting the rail sideways! Sure was fun watching them run back when drivers really knew how to drive!

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bobby Mead sent me this shot of Ron McFarland in the "Dirty Ole Man", at Woodburn!

Attached Files:

12. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

A friend Denny Hays let me scan this to post here.

Attached Files:

13. couverkid

couverkid

Marty, don't know much about bob haines but I have a fremont drag strip jacket with his name. Bought it years ago its a kids size. My son used to where it but its to small now. Wondered if it was his sons?

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I sent Dave Wedlake the pic of the "Bev's Steak House" car and crew. He sent me this one with some history. He said he was at Woodburn, and Cordy Jensen was match racing the "Hawaiian", Cordy blew the clutch, and cut the car in half. This shot of "The Hawaiian" was from that day. Roland Leong, is assisted by Kenney Goodell (Jug in Hand), and driver Mike Snively (With cigarette) Thanks Dave!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

16. jhooch

jhooch

I grew up in Klamath Falls, Oregon and remember my Dad taking me to the drags in White City just outside of Medford, OR in the late '80's. Later I worked in Medford and our neighboring business was Skinner Cadillac. John Skinner purchased Southern Oregon Speedway and owned it when I left there in 1995.

My Dad's boss in Klamath Falls was named Chuck Swafford, he was supposedly involved in the racing scene in the early-mid sixties? Maybe even late 50's? Anybody remember? In the eighties he was friends with a guy named Terry Sherrill who campaigned a bright orange mid-sixties C2 Vette. My Dad still runs into Chuck from time to time, I'll have him see if Chuck has any photos from back in the day. Somewhere I have a National Dragster Magazine Chuck gave me with Terry's Vette in it.

The Nascar Camping World Truck Series (Craftsman Truck series at the time) ran at the Portland Speedway oval until it closed, moving to the road course at PIR after that. I saw Greg Biffle and Mike Bliss run there (and at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, WA) in 2000. The Nascar K&N Pro Series West still makes a stop at PIR as well as Evergreen in Monroe and here at Spokane County Raceway.

I'm too young (early 40's)to have seen the glory days of McMinville, Eugene, etc but I absolutely love reading about them. In most cases I never knew these tracks existed. A good friend of mine runs his 460 powered '64 Fairlane at Woodburn occasionally. I hope to have my '64 Merc Montclair Maurader at the track in the near future as well as my Nascar clone '64 Galaxie. Took a while to read through this thread but man it was worth it.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jeff,I am glad you have enjoyed the reading and pics on here, I met Terry Sherrill years ago, his cars have always been competitive and top notch.

18. casper

casper

These two quarter midgets were said to have came from the Portland area? I am guessing somewere between 1971 and 1979. The car with the "sidepods" on it is a Rice brand and the little green car looks like a Rice based car also (chrome Rice front axle for sure), it has a handmade metal body (tailcone is long gone). I know these things get re-painted thru the years but the green car looks orig. 70's paint and the "winged" Rice has a couple Bobby Allison decals that look orig. also? Any info would be great!!

Attached Files:

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I received these pics from Dave Wedlake, who joined forces with Jerry Hill from late 1969 through 1973. Dave owned the "Don Tuttle" FED, they raced in the Gas Dragster classes. With the exception of 1972, when Jerry drove for Jack Merrill and Dave worked for Kenney Goodell on a T/F car. Dave has a vast resume, including working with Ed McCulloch when he drove the "Scotties Drive In" Top fueler and many others as an engine man and "Tuner". Maybe we can get him to join us on here, as he was truly there, during the "Golden Years". Photo #1 appeared in National Dragster, it was taken at Deer Park, near Spokane. #2 Is from Mission Raceway in Canada, they were getting ready to push off for the first round. The "Twin" belonged to the Cope Bros out of Spanaway Wa. The kid leaning against his Dad's truck, is Derrick Cope (1990 Daytona 500 Winner). #3 Is Jerry, at Woodburn in July of 73, Dave and Jerry got back together for the '73 season after Dave came up with a Lenco Trans for the car. They made quite a team, very competitive!

Attached Files:

20. coast40

coast40

21. 55xgasr

55xgasr

Here's the Dirty Ole Man '55 just after this when Bob Mehler out of Tacoma purchased. It was silver for awhile, then repainted Orange. Coolness.

Attached Files:

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks for posting the pics of "Dirty Ole Man". Here is another shot of Cordy Jensen in the "Bev's Steak House" Fueler.

Attached Files:

23. We have still barely scratched the surface, there must be thousands of pictures out there!
    I'll be at the CHRR this weekend, looking forward to seeing the Riceman, my bleacher
    buzzard buddies and who knows? Any other webfoots going?

24. MarkVI

MarkVI
    from Oregon

Searchlights :D Do any of you guys remember the Searchlight at
    Woodburn? Late the day they would bring two searchlights, I don't
    remember if they were on trucks, or on trailer, just before dark
    they would fire them up and point them down the Drag strip.
    During the Drivers meeting they would tell everybody to turn your
    rear view mirror up, so you wouldn't get blinded
    It was wild
    Mark VI

25. Yes I do!
    I remember hot dusty summer nights, nitro in the air, funny cars staging,header flames, the cars disappearing into the shaft of the searchlights like rockets fired into space!
    Great stuff!!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  26. still doin it

still doin it

I was there with our blown SBC gas dragster. Pushing back up the track to fire and they tilted the lights upward. Pulled up to the line, staged, side stepped the clutch, and it was like the lights went out from the cloud of smoke. Then it was just aiming for the small light at the finish line. Somehow we made it, but it was a real thriller.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Nothing quite like drags at Woodburn after the sun went down! It was pretty exciting!

28. It was great to see so many Oregon cars at the CHRR! VERY competitive cars too.
    The Tiki Warrior guys RULE, being a spectator I can assure you they are VERY popular.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Scotty's sure was a great supportter of race cars and racers! I loved their old Anglia that ran the NW tracks! And this fuel dragster too!