Register now to get rid of these ads!

Duel carb set up on bangers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leroux, Aug 28, 2013.

1. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

Fellow hamb'ers....i come on bended knee. I am stoked to get back my model A motor and getting set to start final assembly and I run into an issue.
    I want to run Lake header/ pipes...but they will hit the linkage tabs on my Thomas intake. If i ditch the tabs, how will i make the connection and the total linkage to the throttle? I am sure you seasoned guys have delt with this in the past.
    so stop laughing and school me O-B-One...

see photo...........

Cheers

Joe

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if you are wanting to use the stock linkage set up that bolts to the back of the engine?
    My '29 A with a banger and 2 carbs has a throttle cable with a bracket off the front carb. Ugly but functional...like other things in my life

LJ

3. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

just need some examples....and the "searches" continue.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joe,
    Was looking around through some pics yesterday and couldn't find any good examples. Hopefully something will turn up in this thread...

Also... another thought. If you make your own pipes, do you have enough room between the tabs and the head to duck down and back up with your tubes around the existing tabs? You can get some pretty tight bends.

5. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Use a cable system.

6. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Probably not as nice as some set ups...but it works and I used a few parts I had in my shop.

Stromberg 81's on a Zepher intake, Hallock header...with the original A throttle in my B powered '31 Coupe.

Steve

Attached Files:

7. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

Ya...trying to not use the linkage tabs on the bottom of my intake. I need to cut them off to run the pipes I want.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Might need to fabricate a bracket of some kind.

9. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

I think I have same set up as "FORDY 6"... Just make your own set up, that's what Hot Rodding I all about. :)
    [​IMG]

10. I'm running the same setup but with an original Thomas, which doesn't have the ears ....... not sure if they have been sliced off, or if it's only the repops that have the ears?

Anyway I have made a bracket that comes off the intake hold down bolt and extends out past the manifold to mount a home made bell crank like the ones people have pictured

But it is packed away, as I'm running a stock intake and carb to get her on the road

11. Here's my setup:

[​IMG]
    If you look closely, I've put bellcranks on the inside of the butterfly shafts (opposite the choke linkage). I've attached the bellcranks with a pushrod between the carbs. On the rear carb, The butterfly shaft (holding a bellcrank next to the carb) goes through the engine cowl panel, to another bellgrank on that shaft. That bellcrank is attached to a pushrod going through the firewall, to another bellcrank; which, in turn, runs down to the throttle pedal assembly (required for racing).

The whole assembly is tensioned by three springs. One attached to the front carb bellcrank. The second, between the two carbs. And the third on the throttle pedal assembly

12. j-stovebolt

j-stovebolt
    from Minnesota

I ran into the same problem, sort of. My evans intake has no provisions for a throttle linkage at all, and I'm running a lake header. I took my original throttle apart and drilled out the pin that held the throttle arm to end of the shaft. I then flipped it and turned it up, so instead of pointing down and pushing forward it now points up and pulls back. I drilled a new hole and installed a new pin to hold it in place. The throttle arm connects to the dual carb linkage on the opposite side of the stock location. It took some bending of the throttle arm and trail and error to get it to work, but it was worth it. Its hard to see in the pic but if you look close you can see the throttle arm pointing up now.

Attached Files:

• 3.5.JPG
      3.5.JPG
      File size:
      250.7 KB
      Views:
  13. racer32

racer32

j-stovebolt, I think I am in love with your car. Got any other pics on the HAMB?

14. j-stovebolt

j-stovebolt
    from Minnesota

Search billetproof minnesota and you should find one. There may be some others, not quite sure though.