Register now to get rid of these ads!

National Association of Beaters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopy45, Aug 31, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nope. Just recognized. Like in this thread.

2. Seen it at Del Mar. Exactly the same!! Talked to the owner and he says he will never change it!!!
    [​IMG]
    If miles per month are a qualification I should be good as I am heading off on a 2500 mile trip to Canada and back!!!

3. Beaters for life here too. All my junk gets driven regularly.

Even my (expensive and OT) AMG Mercedes has to cover the 2000+ feet of gravel road between the road and my house. Drive 'em!

4. fortynut

fortynut

I was hoping someone would bring up the remark Groucho Marx made about clubs, it pretty much sums up what I think about a club for beaters, no matter what the name. "Any club that would have me as a member, I wouldn't want to join."

5. brian aldridge

brian aldridge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim Shelton from Las Vegas owns Baskervilles roadster

6. jalopy45

jalopy45

I just got an email telling me that, it's Chris Shelton's father.. also like Fuzzy Knight says, that it's still driven and still looks the same.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell, see that avatar to the left? From 2003 - 2008 I put and average of 360 miles per day on it for three to four days a week. I live in Phoenix and worked in Yuma, 180 miles each way. Loved every mile of it too! Prior to that in my corporate days, I was handed the keys to a brand new company car and handed them back - "I don't drive late models". From '98 - 2003 It went many times back and forth to my office in Westlake, Oh. I love it very dearly, but it really is Just a car. It's now going back together after it's third "should have killed it" accident, and will someday soon be back on the road for another 250,000 miles or so. Count me in...

8. rer_239

rer_239

i enjoyed building my '29 and i enjoy making improvements to it. i also enjoy driving it. it'll probably never get finished, but it will get better.
    dick

9. Leviman

Leviman

I never understood the nice cars can't be driven thing. To me, it seems they can be more driven. That way you know all the rust and bare metal is covered with a nice urethane or undercoating that will protect your ride from rotting out in the rain.

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Last I knew Dick Munns owned it. I was helping out at the Duece 75th and I told him we needed to push it into the photo booth so it could be photographed (for the 75th book the Rodders Journal did). Dick said, "well, if you want to push a perfectly good running car that's fine but the keys are in it". The pictures of it in the Diece 75th book are exactly where I parked it. I drove "yer 'ol dads" car! Only about 60 feet but I'm counting it! What a day.

11. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I guess you know how I feel.

12. daily drivers for years

Attached Files:

13. jalopy45

jalopy45

Rick, since Gray is no longer with us that would put you next in line to be the Prez of the non-existent, non-formed National Association of Beaters. :D
    PS, great write up in HRM on the sedan.

14. jalopy45

jalopy45

I was just going by an obituary written up in Rod & Custom that someone emailed me, thanks for the update, I hope he wears flip flops to drive it.

15. Talked to the owner, who ever that may be, when he drove it in the Del Mar this year. Looks exactly the same. Gray would have been proud!!

16. Jim Shelton has owned the roadster since Grays death, and yes it gets driven plenty!

Mick

17. i keep mine clean and neat, but have put almost 10,000 miles on it this year. i bought my wife a new suv in 2012, it just rolled 6000 miles. we drive the 48 f-1 the most.

18. deucemac

deucemac

I was at SoCal Vegas not too long ago and Gray's roadster was sitting on the show room floor. I asked the counterman what the car was doing there and he replied "Leaking oil, I think". I smiled and thought warm thoughts of Ol' Dad and the car. I figured the old gal was just marking her territory.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!