Register now to get rid of these ads!

History TV Tommy Ivo push car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldscule, Sep 6, 2013.

1. oldscule

oldscule
    from il

The story I got with my 31 Dodge coupe is that it was built as a push car for TV Tommy's First twin engine dragster for the second owner(post Tom). It has a big angle iron front bumper, a 430 Lincoln tri power, a cad lasalle trans, Skylark spoke wheels, a merc steering wheel, and mid 50s ford interior.. It was said to be run around Chicagoland but haven't found any proof. Got it in Chi burbs. Looking for any history or pictures.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Take some! :rolleyes:

4. bigBADwolf

bigBADwolf
    from Batavia,IL

And I want pictures as well!!!

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That must have been in his very early days of racing. He came to Pittsburgh International Speedway in the 60's sometime with that glass sided trailer with two dragsters and a Vette stuck in there (as I recall) Quite an impressive sight.

Would love to see pix of yours.

Don

6. oldscule

oldscule
    from il

Took a few pics, waiting on cell service. Back corner of garage used as a storage facility for now. Bout time to dig it out.

7. oldscule

oldscule
    from il

It was after he sold his car. Nothing to do with Tommy besides he built the race car. 2nd owner built this car as I was told.. glimpse of the car til I get real pics.[​IMG]

8. oldscule

oldscule
    from il

9. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

the glass sided truck and the vette would be late 60's... I'm thinking 69... not very early in terms of Tommy's career...

10. oldscule

oldscule
    from il

11. So.....where is the photo of the '31 Dodge coupe??

12. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I doubt Ivo did a 31 Dodge Coupe or anything without a nailhead in it. I will check on it If the second owner did it, it has no connection to Ivo

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Chances are it was Ron Pelligrini as he was the second owner of many Ivo cars and was out of the Chicago area

14. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Just got the answer....................This was what Ivo used............A White Cadillac most of the time except for a candied orange Buick Riviera one-year.

15. Early sixties was when I saw him and prudhomme in the Caddy and a small trailer. Blazed a trail across the U.S. that was the start of some cool stuff. The ultimate showman.

16. oldscule

oldscule
    from il

Thanks for the input but I think I wasn't clear enough. The story I got was a guy bought a dragster from Ivo, and built this dodge to push that car. I understand Ivo had nothing to do with this car. I guess I was just hoping an old timer from chi area remembered the car or had any old dragstrip picks with this in it. Byron, Great Lakes, US 30, Oswego.

17. I saw Ivo at Speed Craft, a speed shop in Maywood, IL in 1960. He was running the twin Buicks in a V configuration. He had a curly headed kid with him, Prudhome, who wasn't well known at that time. I don't remember a tow vehicle. I think the dragster went from Ron Pelligrini to Bud Bailey. Bud and I took the dragster to Lake Geneva Dragway. I had a chance to make a pass in it, but I was too big for the car

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013