Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many of us are parts hoarders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod--willys, Sep 5, 2013.

1. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Guilty!.....it's a life sentence!......

2. 47ragtop

47ragtop

With old cars you can't just go and get a replacement part. I have stripped parts cars over the years to have a spare. If you have a spare you probabilly won't ever need it. If I have an extra duplicate part I either sell or give them away. I don't consider having 1 extra part as hoarding but having parts for cars you don't even own or need -that's hoarding.

3. deuceman32

deuceman32

I can stop any time That I want to. I just don't want to yet.

4. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

A very good friend of mine reminds me that when it comes to parts you have to "get to it before the hoarders get to it."

-Tim

5. Im a huge "hoarder" of parts according to the wife ( 2 shipping containers and a workshop full), the thing is though that now im building the Tudor its just a matter of digging through the tons of parts to find everything I need to get the car built, best part is most of its vintage Ford gear..

6. Model T1

Model T1

You guys watch too many TV shows. Us real car guys are not hoarders. We collect good stuff we may not need right now. ;)

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, but I actually NEED 'em, you know, for the 8-9 project cars I'm gonna finish before I die...:rolleyes:

8. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

It seems like everytime I sold or threw a part away,soon after I would need it. And it always seems I can never find a replacement, or if I do the seller wants three times what I sold mine for. So these days I don't let go of much.

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I save all the parts for my projects and all the rest is for sale but no body wants the shit I have.

10. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Just as I thought. We are all sick. Us real car guys only collect the best parts. I have the best Willys parts, and 51 Chevy parts, and T bird parts, They are the best. I'm not a hoarder. I just collect every good part I can get my hands on. And I love looking at all my car parts. They are mine and no one will every have them but me. I will die with the best the most toys. This is who we are. Hoarders.:eek:

11. 400 4spd.

400 4spd.

Hi. I may be a hoarder.

I started collecting Pontiac parts when I was 16. I still have some of them 40 years later. And a whole lot more.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  12. stimpy

stimpy

not a horder I buy and sell stuff , but lately noone wants to pay the prices and think they can buy what I sell at the local dealership still for 1970's prices . problem is Pontiac hasn't made motors since 1980. and there is no more dealerships.

to me everything has a price and if it sits , I try to get rid of it so I can spend it on something I want . but they expect me to give it to them .

13. ElSupremo

ElSupremo

I hardly ever get rid of anything, and always pick up parts I have no use for but know others would find desirable. But I've been known in many circles to give away parts that others really need, regardless of value, especially to younger enthusiasts who might not have the means I do, but share the passion.
    I'm not a sensitive, 'karma' type of guy, but have always felt repaid in those circles by those who look out for me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

For sure lone or give anything.

15. Well I got a lot of shit and some of it is good and some of it is better than good. Most of it is 32 Ford stuff. I still buy parts when I find them as they don't make that shit anymore. I do tag and put a price on everything I drag home so the wife will have some idea of what it is and worth if something happens to me. If I have something and someone I know is building a deuce and needs the part, it's theirs. All I ask for it is if they find one down the road replace it, if not, no big deal. I had a hand in getting another deuce on the road, and that makes me feel good.
    So keep buying those parts and stashing them away guys....

16. Guilty only of hoarding 32 door latches. Rest of my stuff nobody wants to buy.

17. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

18. choptop4

choptop4

I was ,but I have been selling it off .I'll post a garage sale soon. Cheers

19. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

I do "collect" parts but feel good about helping out one of my buddies from time to time too. When one of them need a part and I have no plans for it I have no problem helping them out....they do the same for me.

20. Speed~On

Speed~On

Dammit! I seen this thread earlier today and thought..."Well, that's definetly not me". Then I started thinking of the 2 parts I do collect....okay FINE hoard. I'm not telling you which 2 parts they are because then all of you will buy them...and then what am I to do??!:p

I know these 2 parts are cool because I get a million questions about them at car shows. Now every time I see them for sale I have to buy them...I dont really need them...but they're both soo kool looking.
    See what you guys have done to me!!!:D

21. guilty.
    Al.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Parts are fun to collect,and look at and day dream about building a car around them. Reality does sometime enter the dream, and we sell the wheel we were going to build a car from. For me the sad part is the money ALWAYS winds up paying a house hold bill, not more parts. Bob

23. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

I don't think I'm a horder, I just like to keep car parts in case I need them.... Had a old feller tell me once, he said "son.. once you sell something, it's not yours anymore" Simple as that sounds, it's always kinda stuck with me...

24. Too young to be one........a parts "Hoarder" is just an "older" parts "Hoar"... but I'm lookin forward to getting old!

25. Mo rust

Mo rust

My wife says that I buy car parts and keep them so a hoarder won't get hold of them. Here are some pictures she took while I was cleaning out my garage last weekend.

Attached Files:

• m8.jpg
      m8.jpg
      File size:
      505.8 KB
      Views:
    • m1.jpg
      m1.jpg
      File size:
      493.2 KB
      Views:
  26. Mo rust

Mo rust

Did you know that 32 ford front fenders can be stacked like cord wood? Deck lids can too.

Attached Files:

• m16.jpg
      m16.jpg
      File size:
      514 KB
      Views:
    • m9.jpg
      m9.jpg
      File size:
      493.1 KB
      Views:
  27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I bet most of us are to a certain extent.

For every finished car we have, there's probably enough project cars and parts to build up several more full cars in our inventory. There's a ton of raw material out there, but it's stashed/ isn't on the open market.

Model A and 32 guys seem to have the sickness more than the rest of us. Also orphan type car finatics. You'll see where an Edsel guy has 40+ cars, etc...

28. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Who ? Me ??

Attached Files:

29. Guilty. I must have 2-3x the parts needed for a couple builds. Then I forget I have them stored away and buy more. I now have more wheels & parts for cars than I have cars now since my wonderful neighbors forced me to sell 18 cars.

30. Mo rust

Mo rust

I never intended to sell parts but I have on occasion passed on parts to friends who were building a project and couldn't find something that I had. I have however had several people who have shown up asking to buy parts looking for a bargain that they can resell and I always tell them that if they are looking for free money or a handout that I can spare them a buck or maybe make them a sandwich. That's why I can't stand that show "American Pickers". Those bums are just beggers looking to cheat someone. They are proud of the fact that all they are out for is to make a buck.