Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many of us are parts hoarders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod--willys, Sep 5, 2013.

1. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Just a short question. Do you hoard car parts??? Do you have car parts that other rodders need, but you will not let any of your precious part leave your hands. I must confess that I'm kind of one of these people. I had a set of Halibrand wheels that I at one time used. I had a guy come to my shop and noticed the wheels. He said boy those would work great on my Ford Anglia build. Would you consider selling them to me. Now what would you do. Here is a guy trying to build a car. I have something he has been looking to use on his project. I had to think. Am I ever going to use the wheels again. They look cool on the shelf. I've had them for 20 years. And yes, I have something some one wants. What is the right thing to do!!! I really don't want to let them go..Maybe I will use them some day. They are cool wheels. I don't need the money. Maybe I will just keep them. They look great on display. I my never get another set. You guessed it I'm a hoarder. How many of you have been in this situation? Some one needs a part for there project .You have it and will not let it go.
    So are you a hoarder. It must be a sickness. Just look at all the parts guys collect and will never sell any of them. Now that I have faced my sickness, the wheels are gone

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I must confess! Yes I am a real hoarder. Back about 10 years ago I gave or sold just about everything and moved out of state. When I came back I bought a building and now have 4 buildings full of crap..I'll let my son sort it all out after I'm gone!

3. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

I hope your son is a car guy and knows what you've got... other wise it'll either get sold too cheap or thrown away!

5. Convert54

Convert54
    from Oklahoma

Guilty as charged, though I do seperate myself from spare, spare parts if someone else needs it .

6. You are kidding, right? Might as well ask, "Who likes old cars?"

7. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Yes this subject has come up before. But I see a pattern of us old guys hoarding more stuff. why. I think the sickness is getting worse as we get older. And yes our kids or wife some day will have to deal with all these parts. I know a widow who is left with a huge mess. Cars and parts she knows nothing about there value. Shame on us for dying.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  8. thedapperone

thedapperone

Young guys hoard too! You can have my moon tank when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Ha ha, I vote him as the champ even though he is 40, he has the very first car part I bought him when he was 15, the boy brings a tear to my eye!

10. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Old IHC, Dodge stuff for better or worse.
    I need to inventory this stuff!

11. dan31

dan31

My dad kept everything ,I mean everything.We used to tease him that he was going to have to start collecting pool cues because that's all that would fit in the garage.You had to walk through there sideways.My father in law is the same way(farmer).It may have something to do with living thru the depression and not having much ,I don't know.Me and my wife don't keep anything ,I guess too many years of tripping over shit.I will admit being organized is costly.

12. When you find a good headlight bezel you buy it. When you find a better headlight bezel you buy it> When you find a cardboard box full of headlight bezels you buy them ... its not hoarding if its not trash!

13. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Well, I hope his son likes nintendo and drives a rice burner, As I plan to be at the estate sale.....LOL:D:D:D

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guilty--can't past up good 40 pts even though I may never use them. Have many duplicates too and won't sell to just anyone but will let a part go to someone who is really building a car that needs the part. Have 4 40 clusters restored, 6 clocks restored(look cool in my office), several dashes restored, drake boards in the attic and a NOS 40 std grille complete with a receipt from 1957. Plan is to use this stuff but doubt I'll ever use it all.

15. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Sure am! 1960 ford parts and i have a punch of high end speed equipment i will prolly never use but damn does its look good on my shelf lol

16. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Exactly!.........I feel better now :)

17. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Bought a pair of 32 ford 5 window doors. I don't own the car probably never will. However it's my dream car and at least I have a piece of it. I'm sure theres a few guys who could really use them but they are mine dammnit.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 sheds full of parts that don't have projects to go on? I just might be. My stuff really isn't worth much though so maybe it isn't hording as in the hot rod parts sense. More like saving stuff because I might actually find a use for it someday.

20. dblgun

dblgun

Yup, me too!

21. carmuts

carmuts

I try not to be. Older Pic's from the parts barn and shop storage. Rod

Attached Files:

22. eightbanger

eightbanger

some things are just getting harder to find for my 65 Riv. I find myself buying extra parts all the time.

23. RFH1931

RFH1931

Yep me too..Wow I sure feel better now.
    Kids will probably sell it all when I'm gone!!!

24. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

My daughter says, "Dad, you better start writing down what stuff is worth."

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

26. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes the only way to pry a piece of unobtainium out of someone's hands is to offer a piece of unobtainium in return. I don't think of it as a hoard, but as trade goods.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. 6-71

6-71

I talked to a long time friend last week,he is a collector of 34 to 48 chevy's and parts. He is 74 years old and in failing health(parkinsons,lupus,heart trouble,arthritis) We have been telling him for some time he needs to liquidate,he's not married and has no children. He told me last week that he cried as they hauled 100 tons of "scrap iron" off his place,and he said there is probably another hundred tons there.This was all "someday I'lluse it stuff".He would not sell any parts,and seldom sold any cars. He has a long term live in girl friend,but I don't know what will happen when he passe's away.

28. Yes and no. I have enough parts to fill a 40' container. But I'll sell you any one of them you want. In fact I'd like to get rid of a lot of this crap.

29. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

theres something that "almost always" happens to me when I give or sell parts, It doesnt matter what it is, I surely will need it later on. I feel its a jinx!

30. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

I am NOT a hoarder. I just grab the stuff to keep so the hoarders dont get it!....Randy Clark