Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which feels better?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wallster, Sep 4, 2013.

1. wallster

wallster
    from Buffalo NY

I snapped an exhaust bolt off in the head of the motor I was dismantling over the weekend (real nice job, flush, nothin' to try to grab onto with the vice-grips) and after two hours of drilling, then tapping, she was as good as new, it felt great! .. but then I wondered which feels better, digging out that busted bolt or the feeling of successfully removing all of the bolts without breaking any of them? (it's like the chicken or the egg query... spoiler alert: the egg was first 'cause where the f#ck did the chicken come from).

wally

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Easy. Having pulled head studs from more flatheads than I care to count I would rather get them all out cleanly than have to deal with the broken ones.

3. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

As an exhaust shop we have to deal with broken exhaust manifold bolts/studs all the time. The easiest way to get them out is to weld a washer to the end of the broken off stud, then weld a nut to the washer and try to turn it out that way. Since the head is cast iron, the weld wont stick to it. You might have to try it a time or 5, but it will eventually come out.

4. wallster

wallster
    from Buffalo NY

I tried that technique about three times to no avail... I think it just made the stud harder to drill.

wally

5. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Removing them without breaking any for sure. I feel like got away with something or won the pot in a poker game on a bluff. No cursing and having that sinking feeling in my gut when you feel the stud snap either. :D

6. Well which came first may be determined by the big bang theory or the lack there of. :D

This is one that can be approached with mixed emotions I suppose, not screwing something up to start with is always a good feeling but knowing that no matter what happens you can deal with it is also a pretty good feeling.

7. stimpy

stimpy

having bolt and stud removal tools not having to use them is nice as when I break something its in the damnest places and the motor has to stay together. found out heat and pBblaster or eds red soaking fluid ( atf and acetone) is your best freinds

8. daliant

daliant

I'd rather pull 'em all out clean than fuck with one that snapped off, and it's usually a bolt that's a pain in the ass to get to which requires more disassembly which leads to more broken bolts. I need to get out of the rust belt!

9. stimpy

stimpy

actually I just remembered somethign , ussually when you snap a bolt your hand goes flying with the wrench firnly gripping it so your knuckles find the nearest meat grinding object under the hood to impale itself on to and ussually at the same time you fall over on to the engine or some other pointy object . HMMMM rather have them come out easily

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It's threads like this that make me wonder how Ryan maintains his sanity. What feels better? :eek: Is this a serious thread?????

11. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I have many broken drill bits and EZ outs that overshadow any feelings of success.

Consider yourself lucky.

12. hallrods

hallrods

Depends on which one you busted your knuckle on.

13. Model T1

Model T1

To me it feels great to get all the bolts out cleanly and also feels so good to get that broken one out. Just playing with old cars feels good!

the egg was first 'cause where the f#ck did the chicken come from).
    Well I ain't no chicken farmer but I knew a few. But if what you say is true then where'd the egg come from? And maybe that's why the chicken crossed the road, to get laid by the rooster.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hmm?, reads more like. Should I of lubed the stud first :D

15. Model T1

Model T1

That's what she said !:D

16. wallster

wallster
    from Buffalo NY

Johnny gee, Great intuition... it was the very first bolt I removed off of that rusty pile of shit. The rest of 'em i used a little heat on the head first, gave the bolt a whack with a hammer and mumbled a half-assed prayer before i started to turn my wrench. There is something thrilling about extracting a pain in the ass broken bolt in a head though. I mean, who the hell wants to bust it to begin with but being able to get that bastard out is pretty stinkin' rewarding.
    Hell.. maybe it's the chicken then...

wally

17. 2racer

2racer

no shit!

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you just remove stuff you haven't learned anything. Broken item repairs take some thought. Just today I had the remove the broken studs that hold the fenders on early 1950's Ford pickup bed. They look somewhat like a carriage bolt, and I just instaled repros in another bed. Thought they just taped out, no, turnes out they are spot welded in in three places. Added another step to the memory bank. Bob

19. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Having everything come a part with no drama is the way to go. I religiously soak all fasteners with Kano Kroil before I attempt to remove them. The stuff makes PB Blaster look like water.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ahh...... and the New HAMB Police have formed already. :D

21. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I think it feels pretty good the first time, to prove to yourself that a proper extraction is something you can handle. After that, it's always more pleasing for them to all come out smoothly.......because you now know what an epic hassle it is when they break.

22. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Agree with the Kroil, it is by far the best stuff I have ever found. Yes PB is okay for lawn mowers or bicycles, but for 65 year old rusted flathead head studs their is no comparison.

23. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ That would feel better for sure ;)

25. No shit!