Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar 727 questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Sep 1, 2013.

1. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

You won't regret it.

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

I have built a lot of 727's... put the Locar cable on it and you won't have to visit me for a rebuild.

As mentioned before, the throttle pressure is critical on a TF, sure, you can find a sweet spot and tie the linkage down and have it shift where you want it, but if yu have any kind of HP or a heavy car, every time you go to full throttle you won't be getting full pressure in the trans... you will burn up the front band and the direct clutches, if not the forwards too ! They are built this way so that at part throttle you will have a clean and not harsh shift, at full throttle a little firmer, but that is when you need it.

The Lokar setup is a real easy install and you can put it on where there isn't room for the linkage style.... neat setup.

3. I had this exact issue years ago when I switched from 3 on the tree to a 727. I didn't have the linkage, and full throttle upshifts with the lazy line pressure chewed through my first trans in short order. After the rebuild (and getting sorted out by someone who knew how the linkage worked) I went to the hardware store and bought a small clothesline cable turnbuckle. I mounted it on a bracket and adjusted it to set the passing gear lever just below where it would kick down (full shift pressure). THe thing would snap your neck at any speed, but the trans stayed together. Go ahead, ask me why I didn't just go back to the junkyard and get the linkage...I DON'T KNOW!

4. gatz

gatz

what is the reason for choosing a cable set-up from an overdrive xmsn (A518?) as opposed to a std 727 ?

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Lokar part numbers are:
    KD2727HT kickdown cable
    SRK4000 Carb bracket
    I called lokar for the numbers and ordered thru jegs

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

the 727 never had a cable far as i know of the 518 and the 727 are almost the same case style

for checking it in park you can do it when you put the manaual valve body in it the car i built been on the road for 20 years, with a 372 small block with a 5000 stall converter in it with 391 gears

7. 4woody

4woody

8. gatz

gatz

OK, I get it (duh)

Will running an engine with a 727 connected to it on a "test stand" before installation have any negative effect?
    There'd be no load on the xmsn.

9. No Load, no problem.