Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are the 1928-29 panel trucks very rare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jerrod1932, Jul 13, 2013.

1. jerrod1932

jerrod1932
    from calif

I have a chance to buy a 1928-29 panel truck in very rough condition. the body might be salvaged if i put all new wood in it. the chassis is pretty much useless. what are they worth and are they very rare or what? im a roadster pickup guy so i just dont know much about the panel trucks, even though i think they are cool. thanks, jerrod

2. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

About a month ago I saw a restored version in a motel parlkng lot. It was painted advertising Campbells Soups. A showcard in the window said it was a pre-production 28 model and they were only in production in 29. Don't know enough to argue the point, but if true, would seem the production numbers would be pretty low.

3. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I'd think a panel would be worth more than a sedan, because of its uniqueness and potential to use for advertising (read=tax right-off). Even sedans are getting saved and turned into stuff these days.

4. Is it a sedan delivery or a panel delivery? HRP

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

You are saying (needing new wood) What model is it would tell how much wood and the correct year of the delivery. Pictures would be nice.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sedan deliveries were very low production vehicles in those days, and the original run of them was for a tea company somewhere back east before Henry decided to make a regular production vehicle.

Panel deliveries are a bit rarer, but not because of actual production figures. They were built of metal panels nailed over a wood subframe and inner structure throughout, so they just didn't last as long as the Tudor based sedan deliveries. Consequently when they started falling apart, they were scrapped. It's honestly been about ten years that I can think of since I have seen a reasonably complete restorable panel truck available any where. I have no idea what to tell you as far as pricing, 'cause if the wood is bad, you really gotta want a panel to do one.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I haven't found production numbers for sedan delivery on the Ford sites. Was it something done by coach builders, on a Ford supplied chassis?

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If memory serves correct, I'm pretty sure that the sedan deliveries came of the line as Tudors and were sent to an outside company to receive their rear doors and window blanks.

9. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Easy way to tell, Sedan Delivery had ONE rear door, Panel Deliveries had TWO...and if
    the doors or door skins aren't there, you will play hell trying to find them....if it has a lot
    of wood, probably a Panel Delivery, if the panels are straight and all there, including the doors, both front and rear....ability with wood will help...As I recall, there are plans
    floating out on the web or one of the Model A Web sites that would help....

LOU WELLS likes this.
  10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

How about a picture?

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Hunt up some pictures of Jake Jacob's panel delivery. A resto rod with a small block Chevy, painted wires and killer stance. If that doesn't get your juices flowing check your pulse...........you might not be here.:cool::)

Frank

Pinstriper40 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Ramblur

Ramblur

This sedan delivery is one of the most original I've ever seen. Was at a large estate auction near here a few years ago. I want to say $12K to take it home...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. codeblu

codeblu

Has anyone run across one of the stepdown panel trucks?

14. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Ramblur, Just for giggles How would you wash it ? And can the Patina be saved with Satin Clear ? I just had to ask before someone else did !!!
    Got to go and watch the next episode of Flat and Loud to see what the Gas Flunky Garage is going to mess up this week.
    On a serious note, that is a good looking delivery. Hope it found a good home. Jeff

15. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

jerrod, A lot of old wood filled Chevrolet Bodies have been salvaged by using 16guage square (or rectangular) steel tubing. You may want to look at what the Termite and Bowtie Guys on the Hamb are doing to save old GM bodies.
    I don't know if you are old enough to remember a TV show "The Waltons", but the Panel that Mary Ellen (nurse) drove on the show appeared to be a 32 Ford Panel Delivery (two rear doors)
    It would be nice to see more of those old panel trucks back on the road.
    If your fabrication skills are there, steel reinforcement could put your find back on the road. Good Luck...................... Jeff

16. Wing dinger

Wing dinger
    from California

Hey fella's, I have a 1928 Panel Delivery! From what I was told by a guy in northern California who has restored a couple of them is the production numbers were between 4- 5 thousand from 1928-1929. He also mention that only around 30 of them have surfaced since he's known! I would say they are RARE! As far as worth? not too many people are looking for them as they don't pop up to often.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  17. Wing dinger

Wing dinger
    from California

Here is a shot of mine. It is currently being painted right now.

Attached Files:

18. verde742

verde742

hey Chip,, Not to be a know it all,, BUT, please look just how big the window would be if that sedan delivery had a window instead of a blank? You GOT it, sedan deliveries were a different rascal .. Not a converted tudor,
    bob

FIRST AND ONLY YEAR MADE SEDAN DELIVERIES OUT OF TUDOR SEDANS WAS 1932 !!!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    Pinstriper40 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  19. Weasel

Weasel

I lusted after that when a buddy had it for sale and brought it round to my place. Too many cars and I couldn't justify buying it. Jim Jacobs (Jake) had a bitchin' one I believe....

[​IMG]

20. Weasel

Weasel

Another shot of Jake's panel....

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71, Dean Lowe and Stogy like this.
  21. redo32

redo32

Bob, yes you are not a know it all! Indeed the '28-9 and 32 sedan deliveries were based on Tudor sedan bodies. The '30-1 and '33 and later sedan deliveries were based on slightly longer bodies, but they all shared the passenger front sheet metal. Panels are based on truck bodies and used the truck front sheet metal. As was stated the sedan deliveries had one rear door & panels had two.

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Panel deliveries were fairly common work vehicles, survivability often has to do with continued use and most went from original purchaser down the chain of users until they had the back of the body whacked off and a homemade stake bed or dump box installed...the to the boneyard. The really rare ones are the AA Panels which came in two or three different wheelbases, the longest being the rarest I imagine.

23. verde742

verde742

redo32, we are still talking about 28-29's correct? I absolutely agree they used 2 door sheet metal but not on the upper 1/4 panels.. Just look at them. the subject was not about 30-31-32, blah blah blah. It is, (or was) about 28-29's...

24. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

Thats a nice ride in someways I dig it with out a oaint job

25. Being a sedan delivery owner ('59), I cringe when someone calls a sedan delivery a panel .... would sure like see pics of this one.

26. verde742

verde742

I also just hate it when people call a panel a sedan delivery.. I am ready for a picture also...

27. redo32

redo32

Bob, some nights I'm a little slow. I jumped to the conclusion that you might have been confusing SD with the panel. The recess stamping on the '28-9 SD appears longer than the window stamping for the sedan. The vertical bead is farther back on the body. I guess that would make the drip rail longer too? I'm a '32 guy & they blanked the window opening for the SD. To further my confusion a buddy built a '29 SD using a fiberglass kit that had a replacement rear panel with door that bolted in place & they blanked the 1/4 windows like a '32. Pardon my febble old mind. regards... Red

28. ICEMAN-29

ICEMAN-29
    from colo.

Hello here is mine I made it out of a 1929 2 door sedan I blocked out the rear side windows and used a right side door for the back I cut out an inch from the belt line . some guy told me at a car show that they started out as flower cars for funeral's with the side windows and back door.

Attached Files:

29. Wing dinger

Wing dinger
    from California

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378351792.444243.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Stogy likes this.
  30. Wing dinger

Wing dinger
    from California

I would love to find another one! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378351936.274879.jpg
    My 28 panel. I was told only 30 or so are accounted for out of 3,700 made that year.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.