Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Paint a truck frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Foulkkustoms, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

Im on a lowbudget so im wanting to know what kind of paint to use on my frame either rattle can or brush on! Thank you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. lowchevypickup

lowchevypickup
    from central IL

I bought a kit from KBS coatings, it was cheap for all the stuff you get and looks great. I brushed it on and as long as you don't get it too thick the brush marks flow out and looks smooth. And the stuff is super strong.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. John Deere "Blitz Black". Tractors sit outside a lot. That stuff WORKS!!

4. indyjps

indyjps

Brush on or spray an industrial enamel with hardener, something like rustoleum professional or valspar, use naptha to thin it. That's your cheapest route, probably $60. Call it $80 if you get a harbor freight hvlp spray gun.
    Next step up would be eastwood chassis black or a similar chassis paint. Next step up, a cheap automotive paint like ppg omni, napa has reasonable priced automotive paint that would be perfect probably puts you in the 150 range.

5. yblock292

yblock292

doing my 39 frame today, using Mason self etch primer, sand blasted yesterday, bout $150 for a gallon and reducer, going to spray it with Van Sickle tractor enamel with hardener, about $50, thinned with naptha. Buddy of mine just did his 40 frame with gray por15, brushed looks great, about $50 a quart, but a quart will do it, he had the frame sandblasted and brushed the por15 right on it, no primer, looks like its powder coated. But i wanted to spray mine and get more of a gloss finish. Other buddy had his 34 frame powder coated, $400 included sandblasting. So lots of options.

6. 2racer

2racer

7. I sandblasted the Ranch Wagon frame and primed it with Rustoleum red primer and finished it with Semi-Gloss Black Rustoleum ,I thinned it and brushed it,,turned out good for a driver. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. indyjps

indyjps

Ranch Wagon looks good, Nothing wrong with brushing, I'm faster with a spray gun, and can do other little jobs while I wait for the paint to kick between coats. "Tractor" enamel is pretty forgiving, the naptha and hardener help it out, if you brush it straight from the can, the full cure takes a long time.

9. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Sandblast, POR15, and rattlecan black over that. POR15 is uv sensitive, so it needs a topcoat. That stuff is super tough.

4TTRUK

10. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

can you brush the john deere on

11. I used a little Japan Dryer also. HRP

12. Use Rustoleum hardhat black I used it on my 34 and it has held up for 2 years and still looks good.