Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 belair hard start when warm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by five4cruiser, Sep 1, 2013.

1. five4cruiser

five4cruiser

Hi everyone, I'm newbie to this site. I have a 1954 Chevy be lair, 235 straight six. 6 volt with alternator, new battery. New cables ground and positive.also frame ground. The car starts fine when cold. But once I drive the car and its warmed up. When I turn it off and restart it cranks very slow as if batt. Is dead or engine is very tight compression. What could my problem be? Bad starter maybe. Timing off. Valves too tight. Solenoid bad. Please help me. I'm not a mechanic , but any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Do like we did when I was "a lot younger"... friend of mine had a 53 Chebbie that did the same thing. We would cruise for a couple of hours and stop to get a soda ad a drive in. We would all then take our ice that was left and pour it on the starter so we could go cruise some more... LOL

The problem is usualy some carbon buildup on the pistons and head. It gets real hot and makes for the hard start. To see if that is the problem, retard the timing a few degrees and see if it starts right up. If it does, decarbon it !!!

3. Colin HD

Colin HD

Hi
    I had exactly the same problem on my 6 volt ’53 Chevy.
    Had to carry a 12 volt booster pack with me everywhere!!
    Swapped to an Optima Red Top 6 volt battery and have never looked back!!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    PS: hope you have done the ‘introduction’ thing, tough crowd here, they’ll chew you up!

4. Check all your "Grounds" Bad grounds will contribute to that problem. Had a 40 Buick with a 455....did the same thing so I put a ground strap kit on it and never had the problem again.

Murph

5. dan31

dan31

Yup check all grounds its the first place to look.Is your exhaust close to your starter?You may want to put a shield on it or wrap exhaust.If your cables are old that can be a problem also.

6. bishop327

bishop327
    from CO

My 54 does the same thing... With a rebuilt motor, and a rebuilt starter...
    As my dad says "those 6 volt Chevys have always done that".
    If you find the magic bullet, let me know.

7. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

There's a long thread over on the Stovebolt with a guy having that issue and he finally rechecked his valve lash (was to tight) and then re-adjusted his timing with a vac gauge (accounting for todays fuels) and he now reports problem solved...FWIW

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, start with the timing! Back off the advance a few degrees and see how it starts hot. I usually drive them and take a wrench with me to adjust it until it starts easily when hot.

9. Butch11443

Butch11443

Also, check cable size. You may have gotten 12 volt cables. They are to small. Should be 1/0 wire size.
    Butch

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

Replace starter. Field windings gained resistance when they get hot

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  11. George/Maine

George/Maine

I'll second replace starter, The nose cone bushing most likely worn and wobbling around.

12. five4cruiser

five4cruiser

That's hilarious! I'm gonna buy an ice chest and fill it with ice. :)

13. five4cruiser

five4cruiser

Hey thanks a lot friend, red top it is! I think I'm gonna have the starter rebuilt to.some people say brushes might be sticking.

14. five4cruiser

five4cruiser

Thanks vintage auto, I've already replaced ground cable to batt. And to frame with 4 gauge. Scrubbed paint off the frame and grounded. New 6 volt salt. From chefs of the 40s. NEw coil, points,condenser,vaccum advance, plus wires. Cap and rotor.set timing.

15. five4cruiser

five4cruiser

Thanks Dan, exhaust on opposite side.ground cables replaced. ? I don't know how old starter is.

16. five4cruiser

five4cruiser

Thanks bishop, I sure will let you know. Have you tried optima red top batt? This is the only reason I don't drive the car. Because I don't want to get stranded. :) I might switch battery.I currently have a super start batt. From oreilys.

17. five4cruiser

five4cruiser

Wow ! That's what I was thinking, but I'm not too savy in that dept. I guess I'll take it to shop and have them adj. Valves and timing. It can't be that expensive. Hey thank you sir for the feedback. I love this site already. So much input.

18. five4cruiser

five4cruiser

Thanks bud. Yes I always have tools in the car just in case. Its so much fun driving these old vintage cars. Plus people always come up to you and say I use to have one of the back in the day. Timing is next on my list.not too many people are familiar with timing a 6 volt six cylinder. They ask where is the timing mark on the harmonic balancer. Its on the flywheel. They say what? I'll get er done And let you guys know if it worked. Thanks.

19. five4cruiser

five4cruiser

Yes I have replaced cables. I could not find 1 gauge I believe I got 2 gauge. But it didn't help. New poziztive cable ,ground cable and ground strap. I've heard that the thicker cable make a difference. Where can I find 1.0 ought ?

20. five4cruiser

five4cruiser

Thank you for the advice. Should I buy a new one from chefs of the 40s ? Or just have mine rebuilt? Ive heard the brushes get dirty and get hot and stick when car is hot. Is this true? Others say buy a optima red top battery. I really don't want to convert to 12 volt.

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I was senior in high school back in 63 I had a 53 Bel Air hardtop with the stock 6 volt system. I always had to park on a hill when I went to town. Could never take a girl to lovers lane cause the dam thing wouldn't start. (not all bad) The local mechanic said the old fix was an 8 volt battery. I tried it and it helped. Finally got to lovers lane!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  22. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If you have 4 gauge cables that is your first problem ,way to small . Lower # equals bigger cable,you need min of 2 gauge and 0 is better . Big truck shop shop should be able to make what you need. Sticky brushes when hot ? nah more likley the bushings on the armature are worn letting the arm. drag. Most 6 V batteries don't have enough amps get one of those Ultima ret tops.

23. grynder

grynder

Mine did the same thing. Switch to 12 volt and call it done.