Register now to get rid of these ads!

There Will Be Casualties...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

Well,

If I never changed the jets in my Holley,adjusted the timing,and set the clearence on the valves a ton of different ways...............well I guess it would have never gotten as good as it did.Bottom line, sometimes change is good,and we will roll with it !

2. I do hope most people are not as challenged as I when it comes to finding information on the hamb but I can't find the rules listed. HRP

3. " Fix the unbroken"......just classic!!

4. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Looking forward to the changes...if I make the cut.

5. traditional=good
    i just converted an old typewriter into a desk lamp for a friend as a retirement gift. he spends his retirement writing mystery stories and the "lamp" on his desk fits.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. the-rodster

the-rodster

The lines can get blurry....

Will you delete a build thread of a 1950 Merc Custom because it uses a Camaro clip?

Will you delete a flathead V8 tech thread because they utilized fuel injection? or electronic ignition?

Will you delete a 32 roadster build because it uses a glass body?

A slippery slope...

Rich

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You da Boss.

Ever since Skip's great Royal Victoria thread, where he never opened the hood to show the sbc, he never talked about the sbc, it really clicked with me (I'm a slow learner) that THIS is how you do it. Put the 700r4 or the sbc in there, just keep quiet about that part.

I'm OK with my EFI build thread being a casualty, certainly won't take it personally . . . I get it. I'm building a street rod that will look something like a mild custom, but is eat up with street roddy shit.

We'll just have to wait and see where that puts me on the HAMB radar. Love this place as is, we'll see where it goes. Hey, life is dynamic. Better be ready to move on. :)

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is a very good point. If the HAMB were to stick to absolutely "traditional" cars and discussions only, you would exclude a very large percentage of the people who gave it that "exponential growth." Not saying we need to allow discussions about tuners or tv shows, but the members themselves are pretty good about letting a poster know when something is OT.

To me, the HAMB strikes a pretty good balance between the "rules" and real life. But that is a call you have to make.

Don

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The 50 Merc. Yes. Deleted.

The flathead. Maybe, maybe not... Depends how cool it is.

The 32. Yes. Deleted.

It is a slippery slope and I'm gonna ride that fucker to the depths of... Wherever it takes me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

11. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

12. It is blurry to me as well..... I can't figure out why streetrodders who wanted nothing to do with traditional cars years ago now want there cars to look traditional but still drive like a streetrod. Why ? Is it really the new cool thing,the latest trend ? I guess it is since some of the major magazines are running more traditional features these days.They still need to make them old diehard streetrodders happy so they will throw in some ostridge skin ,tilt column,radial tire features so they maintain those sales.Those cars are not traditional and just because the owners are trying to adapt by making them look a little bit older on the outside doesn't change anything.This place is called a traditional msg board for a reason and now hopefully it will live up to its old reputation a little more.I understand streetrodders want a place to go and chat but dont forget who you are and what you were into ten years ago.The slope isn't that slippery or blurry,be who you are and don't fake it.

13. papajohn

papajohn

Personally, I am going to miss the Anglias and Torpolinos. Will the old posts and threads that mention these or have pictures of them be deleted?

(Rule#4. Pre 1965 AMERICAN CARS ONLY)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. 5. No commercials posts.

As in commercial vehicles? :confused: HRP

15. I don't know if it is the right word to use, but I'm excited!

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Me too. Every once in a while, ya gotta clean out the shop and re-organize the joint. :)

17. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Well I enjoyed being allowed in here. Sadly I guess my new 32 roadster (going to look at and pretty sure to buy this weekend) will be on the not allowed list (glass body)
    Hope I can still read the posts here. Love old cars and hot rods and you guys have a ton of knowledge and interesting stuff to pass on to others.
    Just one of the casualties....
    Mike

18. eddie1

eddie1

Ryan, I appreciate all that you do but thank you for the coming changes. I am excited to see where we go next.

19. Oh ya.......my earlier post,I forgot to mention minitruckers with the diehard streetrodders. I think its cool that those guys are now into old cars but why bring aspects from minitruckin into oldcars ? Hey.....do what you want its your car but to call it traditional or post it on a traditional website is just out of place.I know im in the minority here but it needed to be said.

20. metal man

metal man

I'm cautiously optimistic. It all sounds good to me, but there certainly will be casualties.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Naw. I'm pretty sure he means commercial as in advertising. But if it does include commercial vehicles, I won't miss them. There's going to be a LOT of Kleenex sold.;)

Like I posted in Falcons thread, some years ago, the door got left open. Ryan's cleaning house and closing it. Funny, I wrote that without reading this thread. but you could see this coming. This summer has been REALLY bad.

22. I believe that means no business solicitations or ads for products unless you're an established HAMBr or Alliance Vendor.
    As I understood it, Alliance Vendors could advertise new products.

Edit. tfeverfred types faster.

23. Bold move but it's your rules and they should be respected. I know there are a lot of people, some long timers, that have posted cars with non-traditional features and it's been allowed. It will be interesting to see how those will be handled.

I'm here for the long run no matter what. BreHair hit it on the head in a way. It really is simple - if it doesn't fit the rules don't post about it. Exactly why you don't see me posting about my car here. I'll comment or help when I have something topical.

Roll on Ryan....I'm excited to see the new HAMB.

24. Did I mention I recently removed the airbags from my Buick?

25. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At some point those early 90's styled, pastel painted, graphic splattered street rods will become barn finds...well maybe not from barns but you get the idea. We'll need threads on how to fix them back!

26. metal man

metal man

Mike, of course you will still be welcome here. Just don't start any threads about the glass roadster, or if it is otherwise traditional, don't mention that it has a glass body?

27. cracker head

cracker head

I fill out our Car Club member cards on a typewriter just like they did since 1949.

The same typewriter I use was bought new by my great grandmother.....

I quit reading the rest of your article after the second paragraph. Sorry...

28. Ryan,I think you are on the right track here,,,The content of the HAMB has been severely diluted since my first joining years ago...I liked the "OLD" HAMB better,,so many of the friends that I met here over time has migrated to other forums. I miss them and their contributions...just today I saw a build thread on a 3-wheel Morgan..I dont see that as HAMB material..I did not report it as its your ball game..
    I am anxious to see your changes.I'm sure I will agree with you on them

29. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Well it does have a flat head Ford V8-60 in it and wire wheels. Was hoping to show it off when I get it home. Not so much now. Still plan to drive it like I stole it.

Feel sorry for me yet???? Just kidding.

Mike

30. Ryan,

1) I am really excited for this. I think it will bring a great refocus to the site.

2) where does something like my A Pickup build fall? obviously there weren't a lot of hot rod pickups built back then, but it's obviously not a street rod. I'd be kinda bummed if it got axed, but I would understand and not throw a fit. I just don't know where else I would post as all the other hot rod sites suck.

Thanks for all you do!

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.