Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Plymouth Explorer Ghia Sport Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Here's a few snapshots of the car at the 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance:

'54 Plymouth Explorer Ghia Coupe - placard.jpg
    '54 Plymouth Explorer Ghia Coupe @ PB '10 (1).jpg '54 Plymouth Explorer Ghia Coupe @ PB '10 (2).jpg
    '54 Plymouth Explorer Ghia Coupe @ PB '10 (3).JPG
    click thumbnails to enlarge

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

She is magnificent and the roof and side windows kinda live on in the VW Karmann Ghia.

4. <iframe width="640" height="384" src="http://video.sibnet.ru/shell.php?videoid=1048847" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Great video, thanks

6. flamingokid

flamingokid

Simply beautiful.Maybe I'll buy it when the Petersen kicks it to the curb ;)

7. rustychevyman

rustychevyman

This car is on display at the Heritage plantation in Sandwich Mass right now, along with some other GM and other show cars from the fifties. It is beautiful to see in person.

Attached Files:

8. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Man I'd love to load up that luggage and take it up the PCH or on numerous mountainous byways that I can think of. I wish there was a video that actually let you hear and see it going down the road, although I can understand why they probably never drive it on the street.

9. oldthudman

oldthudman

Recall looking thru my Granddad's Dodge dealer magazine.....Came across several articles on these Virgil Exner "dreamcars".........The Explorer was the companion to the Dodge Firearrow III Coupe'........Despite the directive to return the cars the the builder (Ghia) or destroy them, nearly all survive......Only the Chrysler K-310, C-200, & DeSoto Adventurer II(?not sure about this one) were supposedly crushed......The Dodge FireArrow (I was a styling buck only) II, III, and IV, Plymouth Explorer, Dart, at least 1 Falcon sports car and the beautiful Chrysler D' Elegance are all still around and seem to be well cared for.......Joe Bortz is responsible for finding, & restoring many if the big three 50's dreamcars.......

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  10. autobilly

autobilly

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Should clear up one thing.... those cars were NOT Ghia designs. They were designed in Detroit in the Chrysler Corp styling studios. Virgil Exner was head of styling.

Around 1950, Chrysler discovered they could get custom built bodies made in Italy for about 1/10 what it cost to have them made in the Chrysler shops by union labor. This was partly due to the favorable exchange rate of US dollars vs Italian lira, partly due to the lower wages paid in Europe, partly because the Italian shops were experts at hand work and could build a car from a few drawings, no blueprints or elaborate tooling required. This cut the time needed to do the work by half.

From then on they farmed out this kind of work to Ghia. They even built Imperial limousines, after Chrysler stopped making their own limousine bodies in the mid fifties.

As for the Karmann Ghia. The VW company wanted a sports car style body made on a VW Beetle chassis and Ghia filled the bill. This was in 1954. Similar looking show cars had been made for Chrysler from Chrysler designs in 1951-53. You can draw your own conclusions.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  12. White05GT

White05GT
    from NC

That is a beauty!

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The cars never belonged to Ghia, they were a sub contractor who built bodies to Chrysler designs on chassis supplied by Chrysler.

Different companies had different policies regarding show cars. GM's policy was to destroy the cars when they were through with them. Chrysler was more likely to sell the cars to some trusted insider, such as the president of a company that supplied parts to Chrysler or a senior Chrysler employee.

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nyet bibsheekoff to you too, Todd (my video was in Russian).

Cool car, love most of the concepts. Something really appealing about a sleek One-off.

15. The grille treatment reminds me of a 50s custom that was well done but still doesn't look right.

16. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Here are some pics I took of the Explorer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

On PBS they have a show called Mystery Cars & have shown just about every Ghia car ever made,good show with crappy music.

18. oldthudman

oldthudman

I think the Dodge Firearrow III has the better grille.........

19. oldthudman

oldthudman

The Firearrow IV (the red convertible) was the basis for the Dual Ghia.......A prototype was built that looked very similar (painted black) differing in that it had bumpers..Called the Firebomb, it was in the Blackhawk museum last I heard.....

20. I saw it in the portland oregon art museum, i thought it looked damn good sitting next to the Tucker!!

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Crappy music is a given for TV car shows

22. It's pretty well documented that Luigi Segre & the boys @ Carrozzeria Ghia "borrowed" many styling cues from Virgil Exner & the boys @ Chrysler when they designed the 1955 Volkwagen Karmann Ghia body ... but it wasn't from the 1954 Plymouth Explorer Ghia Sport Coupe ... but rather the 1953 Chrysler Ghia D'Elegance:

[​IMG]

23. oldthudman

oldthudman

24. oldthudman

oldthudman

We are super fortunate that not only does this car survive, but is in good hands at present
    .....It has sold recently 2-3 times.........:eek:

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The only distraction and it's a huge one is the toilet seat on the trunk, that is one of the biggest Chrysler failures of all time.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That is why they build experimental cars, so they can tell the good ideas from the bad ones - and use the bad ones.

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

ha ha ha, I'm dying over here, so true.

28. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've often wondered why Detroit could churn out such magnificent designs for the shows year after year and then all the consumers got was fuddy-duddy inverted bathtub crap.

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There are a lot of factors involved when you want to sell a car by the millions. Practicality, interior room, lowest cost to build, even things like having to leave enough room for tire chains (required by law in certain states), headlight height etc etc.

An artist can draw up a real pretty car but it has to be made practical before it hits the showrooms.

Chrysler had a real spotty record when it came to styling. Some years their cars took after Miss America, others resembled a Zombie or the Bride of Frankenstein.

GM had about the highest average when it came to looks and style. Ford seemed to take a middle of the road approach, they seldom made a real knockout but the seldom made a real dog.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013