Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nitro Methane Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone have it?

Or hearing loss due to a sudden loud noise?

I stood a little too close to a cackling dragster this weekend... filming it.

No ringing... but I've had a "fullness" in my ears now for two days.

It almost feels like your ears feel when you have an altitude change. Not quite, but sort of.

I know, it was stupid.

I just hope the damage isn't too permanent... or too severe.

Protection from now on.

Promise.

Sam

p.s. I deleted the video. I was so pissed at myself yesterday, I was like "fucking Sam!"

:D

2. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Usually your hearing will come back to what feels normal, but you may have some permenant damage. Your hearing is damaged from the level of noise and the duration. So if it was a short duration you may get lucky.

3. stimpy

stimpy

you will not get all your hearing back , but most of it , if the fullness feeling doesn't go away after 3 days go see a ear doctor ( could have a possible rupture or swelling of the inner ear ) .. I worked around these motors and even with plugs being close the pressure effects the inner ear system . thats why you see some of the crew guys keep there mouth partial open to equalize the pressure . when I worked on the big diesels in tugs when ever I was in the hole 2 sets of protection foam plugs and muffs as the hammering is loud !

4. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I can still hear pretty good but have the ringing 24-7 from 25 yrs of racing full time

Johnny Carson had a great saying ' You Pay for your Thrills ' and boy do you ever

But would not trade it for anything else, great times !!!!!!

G Don

5. CGkidd

CGkidd

Hearing protection is a must. I work in a engine room on ships and double hearing protection is a must. Even with them I have hearing damage. Wearing hearing aids sucks try to keep your hearing protected.

6. Clevername

Clevername

That sucks man. My pops went to a firing range, stuffed cotton in his ears and popped off a few shots, he blames that incident for his lost hearing. He was probably 70+ when he did that. If you are younger, you'll probably be ok -of course I'n not a doctor:)

Kelvin

7. NATESBPD

NATESBPD

What?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

PLEASE USE CAPS SO I CAN HEAR YOU. :D

I've done plenty of stuff like that too, but trying to get better as I get older. I even try to use plugs when working with loud hand tools around the house. My eyes are already rapidly going to crap. Don't need my ears heading south too.

When I was younger and actually went to see live bands, I use to not think twice about standing near the huge speakers blasting. I remember seeing Nirvana before they hit it big about '88 or something like that at the 930 club in DC which was basically a "big" sized house basement. By the middle of the show I noticed pretty much everyone had left because it was so unbelievably loud and they were nobodies at that point. The sheer volume of the sound was so intense it was like your clothes and everything else was just vibrating like crazy all around you. It was like you were swimming in the sound waves. I have been to some seriously loud gigs, but that was way off the charts loud. And no, I wasn't even drunk yet by then. But I was young and even dumber than I am now. But, I think I recovered from that and other various sonic insults after. Not sure my older ears could handle it now though. I was at the Sonoma drag races a couple of weeks back and the noise up in the stands and even out in the lot was a bit uncomfortable so I made sure to keep the plugs in. One of the first times I thought the loud sounds were actually hurting my ears, as in a low level of actual pain to hear it at full blast.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  9. greybeard360

greybeard360

Too many open headers, air tools, grinders, hammers. Too many years doing it.

I have a constant ringing in my ears, some days worse that others. Bass tones are very "blotchy" sounding, not clean. Bass actually hurts my ears now.

But I can still hear a motor pinging ......

I know it is a little too late, but I use ear muffs when I have some noise to make, wear ear plugs when I go racing.

And I can hear a header leak when the headers are "open".

When 2 people are talking, I can't distinguish what each of them are saying. If you talk soft or mumble, I hear you, I just can't make out what you are saying.

But if I drop a socket, I can hear where it rolls to.

Hmmm... maybe I do have selective hearing. :)

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually hear the fuelers run in the back of my head for two days after I went to the races.
    A year of flying in scout helicopters and shooting an M-60 left handed ruined the hearing in my left ear (pilot sat in the left seat I sat in the right) so i don't hear well on the left side anyhow but my wife hasn't figured that out in the 44 years we have been married and remember to have me face her when she talks to me.

11. pitman

pitman

Sam,
    tintinitus is the devil! If you have a loud noise 'event' as I did in an industrial accident.
    It is the gift, that keeps on. No fun. Protect when you can, and tell the clown w/open pipes, no thanks. It hurts.

12. Friggen Army "Cannon Cockers" started my problems and a few too many times on the flight line with F4 Phantoms with full afterburner take-offs!

By the time I was watching "Top Fuel" cars from the burn out box my hearing was greatly effected and now my ears ring like the bells of Notre Dam!!!

Hardest part is keeping them in tune so I can sleep at night.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Go get your ears checked. Do not guess. Get checked. Shouldn't even be a question.

14. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I've got this crazy uncontrollable attachcment to nitro fumes and zoomies pushing against my jacket ,that I just don't know how I'll ever get over it,but with the help of the hamb,I hope to get through it.

15. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Now that's traditional aint it boys?? Era perfect hearing loss????? I posted a "lets see some pinup girls with hotrods" and it got taken down by the mods the same day.. Lets not do that but lets talk about this guy not wearing ear protection around nitro cars..... smart...... Come on mods, stop this!

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

After being in the aviation industry my whole life its a wonder I can hear at all. Once your hearing is damaged it does not return. I just wish I had used more hearing protection.

17. racer756

racer756

Welcome to the "huh" club :)

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Huh?

19. Not wanting to make you nervous, but I would go to the doctor immediately.
    Problems with ears caused by noise MUST be treated immediately, after two or three days it might be too late.

Believe me, I know what I am talking about. I had the same problem with "fulness" and went to the doctor too late.

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Being deaf isn't such a bad quality to have. Yeah, it can be a hindrance, but it's made life quite a lot more interesting than if I were a hearing person. :)

But to be fair, I was born this way...

I would imagine hearing loss would be more serious of an issue for the hot rodding community (and thus, a valid thread topic) than trying to get a boner while appeasing your lust for automobiles at the same time. :rolleyes::D

*steps off soap box*

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seriously, go see the doctor, like now.

22. Weasel

Weasel

Genius post of the year from this Einstein - pinups are more important than health and safety....:confused:

Having suffered with moderate to severe hearing loss for decades, partially attributable to too many years motor racing, it is life changing. I struggle with it every day and would do anything to have my hearing back. I have spent a fortune on hearing aids with varying degrees of unsatisfactory results. Philosopher Emanuel Kant was right when he said:

”Not being able to see isolates you from objects.
    Not being able to hear isolates you from people”

If you think you have a problem, do not wait - go and see an ENT and audiologist N-O-W....

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Same hear, ringing 24/7. But I can hear what I need to, I just can't hear my wife!

24. greybeard360

greybeard360

Not liking this ringing thing too much. I keep checking my phone. It used to just sound like crickets in the background. That wasn't too bad, made me think of being down by the lake fishing in the evening.

All said, it isn't fun. Protect your ears. Take it from an experienced person, buy some cool looking ear muffs or some bright orange ear plugs. Stand out, be different..... protect your ears !!!

Can't help much with the hammer to thumb thing though... yer on yer own. :)

25. You know I have used hearing protection for 25 years. Gun muffs and my Army issue earplugs. Very rarely did I falter. And I STILL have some ringing!:mad:

26. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I am mostly deaf in one ear and as a result I am unable to tell where a sound is coming from. It gets really interesting at times when trying to figure out who is talking. As far as being able to tell where that bolt rolled to.......that's just not going to happen.

All in all it isn't a good thing, too many years around loud machinery, too little hearing protection.

27. Model T1

Model T1

HUH ?

I finally admitted my hearing loss this summer when back visiting family and friends. Kept tellin the kids "turn the TV up." And in a crowded room full of people talking it is getting impossible to eavesdrop. But I can hear every word my wife says...... :D
    Might have been all the years of beating on car parts, car and bike races, working in a factory, and driving a big rig............. What?:confused:
    It ain't funny. Protect your ears and eyes.

28. Look at it this way....If your ears are ringing from the Fuelers, you can't hear the voices in your head trying to tell you what to do......Norris Bros., T/F #440 '69-'71

29. At my ripe old age of 80,I call it selective hearing....I hear what I want to hear..no problems..very easy to tune out the BS..

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Afraid I also have hearing loss from being too close to a very loud exhaust in my younger years. At the time we even thought it was funny that our ears were ringing, or even worse weeping fluid from damage!
    I know exactly where and when my right ear got damaged, but I stupidly laughed it off, and now have about 30% loss in that ear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.